Australian Domestic Cricket

In other news, Darren Pattinson finished WA with 8/35. Ashes smokey?

Was thinking that, England still have that 3rd seamer position open.

Henriques looked good from what I saw, looks like he might have improved his bowling in the off season. I believe Copeland was getting some inswing as well.

If my memory serves me correctly, Klinger has started the season off with a couple of ducks.

No, it doesn't.:p

Last edited:

I bet it's all politics and money. Cricket Australia want to keep the BCCI onside for starters. Plus as one of the founding partners of the Champions League they wouldn't be supporting their product by letting Hussey leave as by implication that would be an admission that the tournament wasn't as important as Test cricket. I'm not sure what cut Cricket Australia gets from the Champions League, but I imagine they are happy to let the players suffer a little bit to get it.

Looks like its gonna be a long season for WA. Thrashed in the Ryobi One Day game, now looking like another thrashing on the cards in the Shield game. On the bright side NSW doing well.:)

I bet it's all politics and money. Cricket Australia want to keep the BCCI onside for starters. Plus as one of the founding partners of the Champions League they wouldn't be supporting their product by letting Hussey leave as by implication that would be an admission that the tournament wasn't as important as Test cricket. I'm not sure what cut Cricket Australia gets from the Champions League, but I imagine they are happy to let the players suffer a little bit to get it.
The way T20 is right now, with qualms over the long term financial sustainability of the IPL, it might not be the best time to show solidarity.

Back to the Shield, SA are having one of their trademark batting collapses. they were 1/90 and lost 5/11...Not that I'm complaining!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice start to the season for O'Keefe if he keeps this form going he could take Hauritz place. Hauritz only got his first 5 fer against Pakistan, O'Keefe already has one and is on the verge of a second. Copeland again in brilliant form, won't be long before hes on the Aussie radar if hes bowling like this.

WA now really are suffering. Along with a number of injuries to their fast bowling stocks, Ashley Noffke has retired from First Class Cricket. He will continue to play in the Ryobi Cup and Twenty-20 Big Bash. Wonder who will take his place in the 4 day game? I don't know when Magoffin is due back.

^ Magoffin has a few more weeks before we can expect to see him playing again. I'd say Dorey will take Noffke's place as long as he's fit for a four day match. Duffield has a permanent spot in the team this season if he keeps bowling well :)

Apparently Noffke didn't even intend to play that game, but WA are so screwed that he decided to help out. It seems like Mitchell Johnson might play his first game for the Warriors at this rate.

My concern is not so much the injury crisis, but all the fast bowlers that WA seems to need to find to field a team anyway.

Before Noffke in 2009, Edmondson came from Queensland in 2003 and Magoffin in 2004. Brad Knowles was a long discarded Vic and he followed in the footsteps of Mathew Inness (2005) and Brad Williams (1999). Hogan came from Sydney grade cricket, as did Paskal, who was an injury plagued rookie for NSW. Behrendorff played for the PM's XI as a local before moving to the west. South Australia's Trent Kelly also spent some time on the list between 2007 and 2009, but he was a crab.

With the exception of Coulter-Nile, who hasn't played a lot yet, it seems the only genuinely first class pace bowler the WACA system itself has produced in the last decade is Brett Dorey. If they can't find those players in the system, then they'll always have these sorts of problems. For comparison, look at Queensland and NSW, with Feldman and Copeland last summer. They're able to find decent players outside their list. That's real depth.

Paskal might be injured too that or not bowling well, because Matt Dixon was 12th man in the shield match and he didn't play in the future league match... Mitchell Marsh could easily have a big work load this season :)

It's a shame that O'Keefe didn't get a 5 fer, he deserved it after his display yesterday. Copeland still in his wicket taking grove not the 5 fers hes been getting but more than enough to make his average look very sexy.

OD side for WA.

New South Wales squad Phillip Hughes, Phil Jaques, Nic Maddinson, Usman Khawaja, Brad Haddin (wk), Ben Rohrer, Moises Henriques, Sean Abbott, Steve O'Keefe, Brett Lee, Scott Coyte, Stuart Clark (capt), Trent Copeland.

That side looks good on paper but so did the other one which lost to SA.

Reading this morning that the Aussie players are expected to play at least one Shield match before the Ashes, which means Watto will be making his NSW debut. It'll be a great job at the selection table for NSW for those games. You have Watson, Hughes, Khawaja, Katich, Clarke, Haddin, Smith, O'Keefe, Hauritz, Bollinger, Starc - 11 guys who will be definitely in the Ashes or pushing for a spot. So that really has to be your XI - although 3 spinners is probably too many. It means players like Jaques, Henriques, Copeland, Stuart Clark will all have to miss out.

Users who are viewing this thread