Australian ODI tour of the United Kingdom and Ireland, June-July 2010

^There is NO way that would happen. It's a decent idea I guess, but it's the kind of thing you would pull in ICC where confidence, and the mental side of the game have very little impact at all.

I can't think of a series EVER where Australia hasn't sent their best team. Even the Bangladesh and Zimbabwe series have always been played at full strength. And in particular this tour would be very unlikely to experiment because these matches are against our greatest rival where a psychological edge could be gained before the Ashes.

We pretty much have the nucleus of a squad for the 2011 WC. Giving Steven Smith more of a go will help as having another spinner in India would be very handy. It looks like we will have to play an all rounder at 7 since Watson is struggling a bit with his bowling.

For both Engalnd and Pakistan

ODI squad Shane Watson, Shaun Marsh, Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey, Cameron White, Brad Haddin, Steven Smith, James Hopes, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Hauritz, Ryan Harris, Clint McKay, Doug Bollinger.

Twenty20 squad Shane Watson, David Warner, Michael Clarke (capt), Cameron White, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Brad Haddin, Daniel Christian, Steven Smith, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Hauritz, Ryan Harris, Dirk Nannes, Shaun Tait.

To be expected really, great to see Steven Smith in the ODI squad. Would prefer him in the side at 7 but I suspect they might put him at 8 and give Hauritz another "break".

^Yep and it'll be stupid as usual. They really haven't seemed to value Hauritz much in ODIs, but ever since he came into the team in the UAE last year, Australia started winning. I hope Hauritz can be a constistent selection and they merely switch #7s between Hopes and Smith depending on conditions.

And just for those playing at home, the T20 squad is exactly the same as the World Cup 15, minus Tim Paine to make a 14 man squad, while the ODI squad has one change from the original NZ tour squad: Steven Smith in for Adam Voges.

And continuing my Michael Clarke fanboy stance, I'm glad they didn't knee jerk and drop him from T20.

^Yep and it'll be stupid as usual. They really haven't seemed to value Hauritz much in ODIs, but ever since he came into the team in the UAE last year, Australia started winning. I hope Hauritz can be a constistent selection and they merely switch #7s between Hopes and Smith depending on conditions.

And just for those playing at home, the T20 squad is exactly the same as the World Cup 15, minus Tim Paine to make a 14 man squad, while the ODI squad has one change from the original NZ tour squad: Steven Smith in for Adam Voges.

And continuing my Michael Clarke fanboy stance, I'm glad they didn't knee jerk and drop him from T20.

Haaa we both know there would be nothing "knee-jerk"
about dropping him from the T20 side.

By continuing to pick him is the stupid thing, since he has been a consistent failure in this format & doesn't have the skillset (and i doubt he ever will) to be a quality T20 batsman. :laugh its useless complaining about Clarke in the T20 squad, this is one of the worst selections the slectors have come up with. As he continues to struggle & they get fed up with him - they will be big laughing stocks.

War added 14 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

BTW sort of disappointed the selectors haven't given Tait a go back into the ODI set-up especially with Lee's injuries making his future in the ODI side looking ahead to the 2011 WC, very questionable ATS. Tait is obvious direct replacement for Lee.

Not sure what they see in McKay as a limted overs bowler.

Plus OMG, why isn't Chris Rogers or Phil Jaques in any of the A-team squads??? :facepalm

I'm pretty sure Tait only plays T20, therefore not in the ODI squad

It's worth giving him a go, may as well see what hes got just before the World Cup. If he fails we still have depth with Johnson, Bollinger, Harris, McKay and even guys like Lee, Siddle and Bracken.

Haaa we both know there would be nothing "knee-jerk"
about dropping him from the T20 side.

By continuing to pick him is the stupid thing, since he has been a consistent failure in this format & doesn't have the skillset (and i doubt he ever will) to be a quality T20 batsman. :laugh its useless complaining about Clarke in the T20 squad, this is one of the worst selections the slectors have come up with. As he continues to struggle & they get fed up with him - they will be big laughing stocks.

Correct Clarke has been crap, but I think he's earned the right to be given a longer shot given his status in Aussie cricket and the fact that he's never had a chance to really settle into the format. This last World Cup is easily the longest stretch of T20 cricket he's had in his life. 6 or 7 games!

Also, consider a guy like Jacques Kallis. Can you find anyone who thought he was a good T20 batsman before last year? All it takes is to find your niche and to settle into the format. To me Australia has nothing to lose by giving Clarke another chance to try and prove he can play in meaningless tour T20s. The young kids who could replace him will get plenty of chance to shine in the Big Bash and maybe Champions League. Clarke won't get those chances - he needs other ways to improve his T20 game.

Correct Clarke has been crap, but I think he's earned the right to be given a longer shot given his status in Aussie cricket and the fact that he's never had a chance to really settle into the format. This last World Cup is easily the longest stretch of T20 cricket he's had in his life. 6 or 7 games!

Also, consider a guy like Jacques Kallis. Can you find anyone who thought he was a good T20 batsman before last year? All it takes is to find your niche and to settle into the format. To me Australia has nothing to lose by giving Clarke another chance to try and prove he can play in meaningless tour T20s. The young kids who could replace him will get plenty of chance to shine in the Big Bash and maybe Champions League. Clarke won't get those chances - he needs other ways to improve his T20 game.

Trouble is he has played 31 matches and his strike rate is getting worse all the time. Considering what a plodder he is in ODI's, they should be batting him after Smith and MJ, that way he can get the captaincy experience they feel he needs and he won't be mucking everyone else about up the order as he does now.

JK still goes too slow frequently in 20/20. I found it hilarious that Anil Kumble actually named him as the problem in one of the matches in the IPL. I agreed, Kallis seems to go under whatever strike rate is required.

We can't play too much 'bench strength' on the tour to England as it will send the wrong signals if they lose too many matches.

Why are they playing so many one dayers over here anyway? Why are they playing England at all?

Cant agree at all here. Since way back in first T20 WC in 2007. Plus just by watching his exploits as ODI batsman all his career. It was obvious that Clarke doesn't have the skills to be a good T20 player. So i dont think his status as the "next captain" should come into the equation here at all.

T20 is serious buisness now. You have to pick your best players & Clarke isn't one of the best in this format. Its gone past ridiculous now that the selectors have retained him. Picking him just makes the team less stronger.

Shaun Marsh or Hughes, hell even Hodge or Symonds should be in the team instead. Just make White or Haddin the skipper.

Yea well in my opinion i always Kallis could have made a good T20 player if he was given the chance to open watching him bat to be honest. I always thought the Saffies where making a mistake by batting him in the same # 3/4 role in T20s intially as they did in ODIs. Since Kallis once he is set is a player that can clear the ropes consistently - so obviously if you let him open you can maximise that ability.

The player whose evolvement that surprised me was Jayawardene.

But the thing is those two cats are wayyy better than Clarke. I cant see Clarke emulating them in T20 cricket as an opener at all. Since even if 50 over cricket in the past when Pup opened on occassion he wasn't a basher in the first 15 overs/power-play overs with the field restrictions. So expecting him to lead the charge in the first 6 overs of T20 is wishful thinking.

Even if Clarke plays in the big bash i expect him to struggle their too. The only way he can convince he can be a better T20 bat. Is when he plays ODIs again in the future - he needs to show he can improve his aggression & hit the big sixes consistently. If not you can't pick him, plus he wont get offers from the IPL (if its still in existance) or English counties where he can further help improve his T20 game. Its crazy for Clarke to use International T20s to try & improve his game - T20 is serious stuff now.

Plus of course their is no reason to alter the Watson/Warner partnership which is aruably the most lethal T20 opening pair. Although if the selectors have sense & drop Clarke for Marsh. Watson can bat @ 3.

War added 2 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

It's worth giving him a go, may as well see what hes got just before the World Cup. If he fails we still have depth with Johnson, Bollinger, Harris, McKay and even guys like Lee, Siddle and Bracken.

Word. But eventually I expect to end up in the 2011 WC squad though once he stays fit though.

Don't know about Haddin as captain, if Clarke wasn't in the side, he would be the one copping the attention. His T20 record vs Clarke:
Haddin 300 runs at 18.75, strike rate 111, HS 47
Clarke 437 runs at 21.85, strike rate 101, HS 63
So two of the three, Clarke is better than Haddin. You could say Haddin usually bats lower but hes been given numerous chances in the top order.

Would prefer Paine who has been on fire, Watson at 3 would give us a very strong side.

Don't know about Haddin as captain, if Clarke wasn't in the side, he would be the one copping the attention. His T20 record vs Clarke:
Haddin 300 runs at 18.75, strike rate 111, HS 47
Clarke 437 runs at 21.85, strike rate 101, HS 63
So two of the three, Clarke is better than Haddin. You could say Haddin usually bats lower but hes been given numerous chances in the top order.

Would prefer Paine who has been on fire, Watson at 3 would give us a very strong side.

Haddin indeed has batted to his potential in T20 so far. But that isn't due to a lack of ability in the format unlike Clarke. Haddin is a perfect T20 bat - its a matter of time before he brings consistently i'd say.

Haddin to date in his career one could say in all forms of the game hasn't batted to potential. Sometimes when he gets going, its like he goes into ultra-aggressive mode & can't control himself.

Well you could say the same for Clarke who needs to change his mindset. Fact is neither player is going well and both have dreadful T20 records. Haddin the so called big hitter has an overall strike rate of 113 only 2 higher than his T20I SR which suggest he ain't doing much better in domestic cricket.

Compare that to a guy that was called a slow scorer a few seasons ago in Tim Paine who has a strike rate of 154 and it was over 200 in the KFC Big Bash last season. We shouldn't be living on the hope of things clicking, we should be living in the present where things have clicked.

Users who are viewing this thread