Australian ODI tour of the United Kingdom and Ireland, June-July 2010

I always think of that too - those were the days...

Bad ass

Marlboro-Ferrari.jpg

Now tell me, has Haddin done any of these things in T20? Simple answer, no, and that is why he hasn't been a successful T20 batsmen. The so called T20 natural only takes you so far when you don't perform. Most players who have this tag, have at least shown what they can do. Haddin hasn't, so it becomes a simple case of how long do we keep floating the "he'll come good" line.

Am Haddin clearly has shown he can do all of those things in T20s in almost every innings he has gotten a start in. His problem basically has been putting a proper T20 innings together after getting off to that excellent start.

An average of 20 in T20 is average but the English selectors don't have to worry about Collingwood scoring slowly. Haddin on the other hand, has a poor strike rate and hasn't made the runs.

The AUS selectors & team dont have to worry about Haddin scoring slowly either in T20s ever. I know you watch alot of AUS cricket like myself & i respect your views as a senior man on this site. But you are not seriously telling me that in T20s to date of have seen of Haddin - that an inability to score quickly againts all types of bowling is his problem?.

Fact is both have them have equally poor T20 averages & both have them have the same problem in that they have not lived up to obvious ability in T20s.

And lol aren't you the one saying Clarke is scoring too slow? Well his strike rate is over a 100 and you still want him dropped despite his SR being good for T20 according to you... Talk about double standards! I really don't give a dam about how a player scores their runs, if they are striking at over 120 and doing it relatively consistently then I'll take that. Michael Clarke and Brad Haddin are not doing either, both are average T20 players and both should be proving themselves in the KFC Big Bash.

No double standard really. It all comes back again to watching players bat & not placing too much emphasis on such stats. Their is now way you anyone cold have seen Clarke bat in T20 over the years & it not be painstakingly obvious that he struggles to score aggressively. That problem is clearly not the case with Haddin.

When do we pick a player on a strike rate? Well you just did in your opening paragraph telling me what makes a successful T20 batsmen; "Not just hitting sixes - but hitting them consistently & almost immediately as they come out to bat." A player that does this will have a high strike rate, in the 140s perhaps, a player that doesn't will be in the low 100s.

That statement wasn't a example of why or how a player should be picked based on SR in T20. It was general natural abilities a player needs to have a chnce of being a good T20 generally.

Look at like Kallis, as i've explained before dont necessarily fill that description. But since they have becoem opners & have been given times to get set, they can clear the boundaries consistently & he doesn't have SRs near 140 in T20i.

But then Jayawardene who is basically a clone to Kallis as a T20 opener. Has a SR of 140. You see where i'm going with this??..

You can keep saying stats don't matter, you are putting too much emphasis on them. But the fact of the matter is stats are based on what a player does on the field. Do we not pick players based on what they do on the field? Do we not drop a player by what they do on the field? You can keep talking about "this player is made for T20" but that line only gets you so far, if you don't perform on the field then you can expect the heat to be applied from the fans and selectors.

Stats are just a reflection of how a players on how players career goes. Few players in cricket history has perfect stats that can't be questioned or ridiculed.

Circumstances affect the majority of others with statitiscal holes in many ways that us erudite cricket fans need to be able to read between the lines & judge the players.

Victor trumper is always spoken as the greatest opener AUS has ever produced. But with an average of 39, statistically he doesn't fit the bill of a 'great opener". Since the general "statistical benchmark" for a great opener is 45+. But understanding his circumstances beyond stats, most understand why he rated so highly by just watching him bat.

The AUS selectors & team dont have to worry about Haddin scoring slowly either in T20s ever. I know you watch alot of AUS cricket like myself & i respect your views as a senior man on this site. But you are not seriously telling me that in T20s to date of have seen of Haddin - that an inability to score quickly againts all types of bowling is his problem?.

Rewatch the T20 World Cup, there were numerous games where he would hit a boundary and then play out 5 dot balls. This is the exact problem Clarke has. It's the reason why his strike rate is so low. Hitting the boundary does not mean you are scoring quickly, what you do in between them determines how you are going.

That statement wasn't a example of why or how a player should be picked based on SR in T20. It was general natural abilities a player needs to have a chnce of being a good T20 generally.

Look at like Kallis, as i've explained before dont necessarily fill that description. But since they have becoem opners & have been given times to get set, they can clear the boundaries consistently & he doesn't have SRs near 140 in T20i.

But then Jayawardene who is basically a clone to Kallis as a T20 opener. Has a SR of 140. You see where i'm going with this??..

No it wasn't but it all is related to strike rate. If you have the general natural ability it will be reflected through your strike rate or average in Kallis case. Kallis like Haddin struggles to tick the strike over hitting the boundaries is one thing but if you are playing out dot balls then the boundaries advantage diminishes.

Victor trumper is always spoken as the greatest opener AUS has ever produced. But with an average of 39, statistically he doesn't fit the bill of a 'great opener". Since the general "statistical benchmark" for a great opener is 45+. But understanding his circumstances beyond stats, most understand why he rated so highly by just watching him bat.

And that is why you use the stats with what you see on the field, not to mention average stats contain a lot more variables than strike rate.

Tim Paine would be the likely choice I imagine, which may make for some interesting maneuvering at the top of the order with Shaun Marsh coming back too.

Yep Paine would be the obvious choice unless they decide to punt on Wade.

Tbh, I guess it's good for experience, but he hasn't done too much to be fair, not a single 4 wicket haul in anything, best bowling of 2/22 in OD cricket. But yeah, he's gonna be a gun. Wouldn't have minded seeing Ben Cutting or Trent Copeland, although both have been better at the FC game.

Sweet, hopefully Hazlewood gets a game and secures his spot for the upcoming Ashes :yes
Oh god... :facepalm

Anyway, you can't say Hastings didn't make an impact, he took 19 wickets, only one behind Xavier Doherty, the leading wicket-taker of the FRC. Even James Pattinson or Nathan Rimmington ffs hahaha, I don't think Hazlewood's quite ready yet.

Tbh, I guess it's good for experience, but he hasn't done too much to be fair, not a single 4 wicket haul in anything, best bowling of 2/22 in OD cricket. But yeah, he's gonna be a gun. Wouldn't have minded seeing Ben Cutting or Trent Copeland, although both have been better at the FC game.

Selectors love picking players on potential especially players marked to be something special. Cockley and Henriques last season and now Hazelwood. Cutting and Copeland don't quite have the same hype but they certainly have shown they could be stars for the future.

Oh god... :facepalm

Anyway, you can't say Hastings didn't make an impact, he took 19 wickets, only one behind Xavier Doherty, the leading wicket-taker of the FRC. Even James Pattinson or Nathan Rimmington ffs hahaha, I don't think Hazlewood's quite ready yet.

Meh I know he hasn't done enough at domestic level, but no doubt he has huge potential and the best thing to do is give him early match experience, so he can be our next Glenn McGrath :yes

Don't know if that was directed at me, but what I meant was Hastings had a good season yet has been overlooked for the A series, T20 selection and now ODI selection.

AH. Yeah, sorry, that was directed at you, thought you meant that he wasn't making an impact or some ████, heh. My bad.

I actually read recently that he's had surgery or something like that? Can't remember where I read it though.

Squad's been picked for the ODi's:

Strauss, Anderson, Bresnan, Bell, Broad, Collingwood, Kieswetter, Morgan, Pietersen, Sidebottom, Swann, Wright and Yardy

Interesting to see Bell in the squad. I'm glad he's in contention, as he's played well for Warwickshire for the last 2 seasons, but I'd still prefer to see Steven Davies or even Jonathan Trott in ahead of Bell TBH. The likely XI I'd have thought will be:

Strauss *
Kieswetter +
Pietersen
Collingwood
Morgan
Wright
Yardy
Swann
Broad
Anderson/Bresnan (depending on Bresnan's fitness)
Sidearse

As expected really. Basically the same as the T20i WC winning side just with Strauss in there instead of Lumb. I see Bresnan playing ahead of Anderson if he's fit too.

2 years I would've cared, but no I couldn't give a rats.

Don't ask me why, but I don't have any motivation to follow this series.

Users who are viewing this thread