Australian ODI tour of the United Kingdom and Ireland, June-July 2010

Shah's never going to get back in the ODi squad, get over it. He isn't hammering the County attacks as well as Bell, he can't field and his running between the wickets is dire. Flower likes his players to be athletic and dynamic in the field, and bar Sidebottom (who in all fairness is much better in the field than Shah) he's achieved that. We were the best fielding unit in the T20 WC, and bringing Shah in means we've got a weak link in that fielding unit. Bell has scored more List A runs than Shah in the last year and a half, has been a success at International level and is in much better form. Him being picked ahead of Shah makes perfect sense for me.

As for Trott. He probably should be given more of a chance, but I can see the thinking behind dropping him. The next WC is being held in the subcontinent and Trott is poor against spin bowling, seemingly having no boundary options or option to rotate the strike. He didn't seem capable of scoring as quickly as he does for Warwickshire for England, and I'm guessing there are issues with his attitude, which I presume is what kept him out of the side initially. Also, the selectors have to pick the players that are in form. Ian Bell is in magnificent form, is scoring quickly and looked a completely different OD player on Sky the other night than he did in his last stint in ODi cricket. I think he could prove a good selection if he does get a go. I'm more confident of him making big, quick runs ATM than Trott TBH.

Belly for the T20 side. Bell and Hales > Shah. ;)

Last edited:
Can't wait for this to start, Been missing England playing since T20 world cup, with all due respect, the two tests against Bangledesh didn't capture my imagination too much.

Hopefully due to the squad being pretty close to the T20 squad, they will be super confident and carry the good form on.

Got tickets for the Old trafford ODI, haven't seen England play for a couple of years for different reasons, really excited.:happy

I'm really in two minds about how England should go in terms of number of batters/bowlers in this ODI series.

These are the two options I would think about...

Strauss (c)
Kieswetter (w)
Pietersen
Collingwood
Morgan
Wright
Bresnan
Yardy
Swann
Broad
Anderson

Or...

Strauss (c)
Kieswetter (w)
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Morgan
Wright
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson

Given that Wright and Collingwood really don't bowl all that much, I'd lean towards the top one being Plan A. As long as the top 5 can bat properly for 30+ overs, the rest of the batting can give them the acceleration at the end to make, but probably more likely looking to chase, good scores. If this struggles to function, then we might see something like the second lineup; an extra batsman, a focus on bigger scores and the hope that it makes up for more overs of lower tier bowling.

Option A for sure. Important series for Michael Yardy. His batting was never tested in the T20 WC, although hisjob with the ball. England are obviously looking for a spin-bowling all-rounder ahead of the 2011 WC. But if Yardy fails with the bat or Swann/Bresnan consistently bat ahead of him. The likes of Blackwel & Patel will definately come back into consideration.

Yardy will get sussed out again, just like last time. Once people see enough of his bowling, they know how to play it and will do so. His batting just isn't strong enough either, I'd much rather see Blackwell in the side as a genuine bowling allrounder.

I imagine Bell will bat at 3 if he does play, although I'd rather see Shah. After that great Champions trophy where he was superb, to be dropped is a bit crazy, especially when Pietersen would rather bat at 4. Definately seems to be a gap at 3.

Shah's never going to get back in the ODi squad, get over it. He isn't hammering the County attacks as well as Bell, he can't field and his running between the wickets is dire. Flower likes his players to be athletic and dynamic in the field, and bar Sidebottom (who in all fairness is much better in the field than Shah) he's achieved that. We were the best fielding unit in the T20 WC, and bringing Shah in means we've got a weak link in that fielding unit. Bell has scored more List A runs than Shah in the last year and a half, has been a success at International level and is in much better form. Him being picked ahead of Shah makes perfect sense for me.

As for Trott. He probably should be given more of a chance, but I can see the thinking behind dropping him. The next WC is being held in the subcontinent and Trott is poor against spin bowling, seemingly having no boundary options or option to rotate the strike. He didn't seem capable of scoring as quickly as he does for Warwickshire for England, and I'm guessing there are issues with his attitude, which I presume is what kept him out of the side initially. Also, the selectors have to pick the players that are in form. Ian Bell is in magnificent form, is scoring quickly and looked a completely different OD player on Sky the other night than he did in his last stint in ODi cricket. I think he could prove a good selection if he does get a go. I'm more confident of him making big, quick runs ATM than Trott TBH.

I did have the privilege of watching Mr Shah smash 67 off 20 odd balls in Wellington this last Kiwi summer. Had a chat with him afterwards and he was very friendly and approachable. Doesn't mean he should be in the squad but he is a nice bloke!!!:)

Although deep down i'd admit for sure Shah is unlikely to feature in the ODI set-up again (although i wont write it off). Everything else you just said is the same old broing overplayed, Shah talking points.

The fact the you are suggesting Sidebottom is better in the field than Shah :laugh :facepalm, is utter ignornace. Jesus Christ the way you people talking about Shah's fielding & running between the wicket issues you would swear he was doing it at the pace of Biggie Smalls.

Shah problems has never been that bad. I dont know how you are anyone else could have seen Shah in the IPL this year or recent list A/T20 games for Middlesex & say he still has those issues.

Finally again i dont care how much runs Bell is scoring in list A cricket. Shah wasn't dropped because he was out of form last year. He had always proven himself in international cricket over a 2 year period & if he picked today - i would back him to continue that.

It is ridiculous to recall Bell a past ODI failure so quickly into the ODI set-up. As i just said we just the same mistake just made recently with the Cook being recalled based on so called "domestic ODI form" & failed AGAIN. How do you people & the selections not learn from these obvious past mistakes & trends of ODI selection??? :doh

Really where is alll this talk coming from that Trott is this weak/poor againts spin??

Okay he struggled a bit in bangladesh in the heat on those slow/low conditions. But when he scored that double @ Lord's i saw nothing wrong wiht his technique againts spin.

Of course like most English batsmen he isn't the most fluent againts quality spin. But how in god's name can you drop him from the ODI squad, after 4 ODIs when he hasn't even gotten a chance to be tested againts good spinners in the ODI side???.

Plus secondly. We have had this discussion before. The conditions in sub-continent for the WC generally will not be dustbowls. In India that certainly wont be the case. If you watched the last 3 IPLs - England 3 ODI tours in (2001/02, 2005/06, 2008/09) - 2006 CT -plus the AUS ODI series that i've seen. The pitches their will be batting beauties & even a few greentops will be present in India.

SRI & BANG though will likely have more slow-tuners/dustbowls.

Ha. That doesn't even make sense even as joke since all 3 of them would be battling for different positions in the T20 set-up.

Shah's role in a T20 set-up would be as a #5/6 batsman in a finisher role. But ENG are unlikely to pick 6 pure batsman in a T20 setup with the need to play 5 bowlers.

Hales is an opener obviously. He wont get into the team unless Lumb fails.

Bell can't bat anywhere outside of top 3 in a T20 XI. So with those positions obviously occupied. He would have no use in a T20 XI.

War added 2 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Yardy will get sussed out again, just like last time. Once people see enough of his bowling, they know how to play it and will do so. His batting just isn't strong enough either, I'd much rather see Blackwell in the side as a genuine bowling allrounder.

I imagine Bell will bat at 3 if he does play, although I'd rather see Shah. After that great Champions trophy where he was superb, to be dropped is a bit crazy, especially when Pietersen would rather bat at 4. Definately seems to be a gap at 3.

My sentiments exactly.

Option A is the way to go, England have more than enough in their tail to support Bresnan at 7. Broad at 10 gives England a very long batting lineup.

Sucks that Hazlewood isn't playing, raises the question will he get a game at all? Maybe if we are leading the ODI series or another injury...

Users who are viewing this thread