Australian ODI tour of the United Kingdom and Ireland, June-July 2010

2 years I would've cared, but no I couldn't give a rats.

Don't ask me why, but I don't have any motivation to follow this series.

It's the footy. Happens to me every year :p

I have to say I'm picking a 5-0 sweep, especially since we'l have Ponting from the start. The outs of Johnson and Haddin give England a good chance though.

Can't wait to see how Hazlewood goes, although Hastings was bloody unlucky to miss out.

Pattinson has obviously made some impression because he was picked for Aus A, but you know, no prizes for 2nd place and all that.

Hazlewood hasn't been unstoppable in all of a dozen games, but I think most of us would agree there is a big chance he could be in the next five years. Ten to fifteen year players are always worth those extra looks.

It's the footy. Happens to me every year :p
It's not the footy.

When we toured the Carribean in 2008, I basically lived at night to follow us smash them. Now I'm lucky if I check the score of the games.

Ian Bell has been recalled on what basis actually?.

Acording to the selectors since he was dropped in the India tour in 2008/09..."We are also pleased to welcome back Ian Bell to the one-day squad. He has performed well for Warwickshire this season in limited overs cricket and worked hard to add a more positive, attacking approach to his game.

Yes he has a good average in a few games this season. Averaging 56. But look at the standard of bowling attack he has scored runs in in those 6 - 40 over games.

- vs Kent

- vs Leicestershire

- vs Durham

- vs Hampshire

- vs Kent

- T20 vs Derbyshire

Utter crap county attacks that are way below that of the standard of international attacks. This is what has convinced the selectors that he has ready for a return to ODI cricket, ahead of Trott who has BARELY played 4 ODIs. After Bell has only just showing again in the last 6 months that he can be a consistent test batsman. :doh

The legacy of dumb ODI selections continues.

Not like his recall matters, I bet Bell and Sidebottom miss out on gameday

War you don't rate county bowling I get it but you don't have to post it over and over again in any arguement over an England player. Hes gone away and scored runs at a good average and quickly. Regardless of who he's faced every potential England player is playing against the same attacks and he's done what he's had to do.

Watched his innings yesterday and he looked miles ahead of the rest who where playing and was the only one who looked like they'd score on that pitch.

Oh god... :facepalm

Anyway, you can't say Hastings didn't make an impact, he took 19 wickets, only one behind Xavier Doherty, the leading wicket-taker of the FRC. Even James Pattinson or Nathan Rimmington ffs hahaha, I don't think Hazlewood's quite ready yet.

I can't help but think that this selection has a little to do with Steve Finn's rise. England thinks they've got a McGrath, well have a look at our next McGrath Pommies :D

Now I really hope they play the guy. Not because I think he's Mr Awesome yet, but I hate it when they take guys on tour and never play them. It's the PERFECT chance to give these fringe guys some competitive overseas international cricket.

War you don't rate county bowling I get it but you don't have to post it over and over again in any arguement over an England player.

I have to state it over & over. Cause when players are picked by England especially in the limited overs format & people tend to defend their selections loosely by saying. "He deserved selection because he scored runs/took wickets in domestic cricket". Its suggest that people take all domestic performances on face value & have not yet realised that the majority of domestic performances in England these days have to be taken with pinch of salt.

Hes gone away and scored runs at a good average and quickly. Regardless of who he's faced every potential England player is playing against the same attacks and he's done what he's had to do.

Watched his innings yesterday and he looked miles ahead of the rest who where playing and was the only one who looked like they'd score on that pitch.

Well their isn't much other noteworthy ODI middle-order batsmen in the domestic circuit anyway. Trott, Shah & maybe Patel the current (international quality) next in line options, that should be picked ahead of Bell.

I saw Bell play one innings on skysports this season vs Hampshire & i saw nothing that suggest that looks that convincing that he should be recalled to the ODI side so quickly. Especially when Trott has barely played 4 ODIs & done nothing wrong since Bell was dropped in early 2009.

Basically how does 6, 40 overs games againts joke atacks. Convince the selectors that Bell is a improved ODI player from the consistent mediocrity he showed between 2004 to 2008/09??

It's not the footy.

When we toured the Carribean in 2008, I basically lived at night to follow us smash them. Now I'm lucky if I check the score of the games.

Fair enough, this is probably the first year I've gone completely under too.

I'm guessing Hazlewood will probably play the Ireland game for his ODI debut and then the last two one-dayers.

Basically how does 6, 40 overs games againts joke atacks. Convince the selectors that Bell is a improved ODI player from the consistent mediocrity he showed between 2004 to 2008/09??

6 40 over games? Where were you last year? He made 542 OD runs at an average of 77.42 with 2 centuries in '09. It's not like he's been picked purely on his runs this year. He's gone back to Warwickshire for the last 2 seasons, and made big runs.

Have to LOL at the suggestion that Samit Patel is ahead of Ian Bell too. He's really been putting the runs on the board the last 2 years hasn't he.......

6 40 over games? Where were you last year? He made 542 OD runs at an average of 77.42 with 2 centuries in '09. It's not like he's been picked purely on his runs this year. He's gone back to Warwickshire for the last 2 seasons, and made big runs.

Have to LOL at the suggestion that Samit Patel is ahead of Ian Bell too. He's really been putting the runs on the board the last 2 years hasn't he.......

I knew someone would bring up his list A stats from last season. Thats totally iirelevant. Since last season Bell lost his test place & looked totally out of place, in international cricket. All he did was go back to our average domestic & score easy runs. If his 2009 List A season was such a clear sign that he had improved after he was dropped after the 08/09 ODI series vs India. Why was't he picked for the Champions Trophy, ODI series in SA or tour to BANG??

As i said before after 4 years of mediocre ODI performances. He needs at least 2-3 seasons back in domesitc List A cricket before he can be considered again for the ODI side. Can you explain to me how Trott for Bell deserves to be dropped when he has barely played 4 ODIs & done nothing wrong??

Plus ye i know Patel's form wasn't great last season (dont know how much his weight issues played into that). Naturally when he's in form he will always be a better ODI player than Bell because he offers a more all-round options as a ODI batsman & player. But of course right now obviously Trott & Shah should definately be ahead of Bell without a doubt.

Why is it any more irrelevant than Trott's record in Domestic cricket last year which in turn earned him a place in that final Ashes Test. Bell didn't look that bad against Australia either, his 72 at The Oval was as important as Trott's century AFAIC. I'm not a selector, so I don't know why he wasn't picked. I'd guessed that they were being sensible and waiting to see if Bell could repeat that form over more than 1 season, which he now has done.

He has 1 full season, and is well into his 2nd very good season. I never said Trott should be dropped for Bell, so I'm not going to bother replying to that; was purely replying to your suggestion that he was picked on the basis of only 6 games, which just isn't true.

Thing is, Patel hasn't been in form for a good 2 and a half years, so any suggestion that he should be ahead of Bell in the pecking order is laughable. I agree that Trott should be ahead of Bell, but not so sold on Shah. Bell outplayed him last season, and Owais hasn't played enough games this year to be ahead of Bell. But I really can't be arsed to argue about Shah vs Bell, as it's Shah fanboy vs Bell fanboy, pointless.

In other news; Bell's 56* from 30 balls in the T20's. He is in magnificent form.

Why is it any more irrelevant than Trott's record in Domestic cricket last year which in turn earned him a place in that final Ashes Test. Bell didn't look that bad against Australia either, his 72 at The Oval was as important as Trott's century AFAIC. I'm not a selector, so I don't know why he wasn't picked. I'd guessed that they were being sensible and waiting to see if Bell could repeat that form over more than 1 season, which he now has done.

He has 1 full season, and is well into his 2nd very good season. I never said Trott should be dropped for Bell, so I'm not going to bother replying to that; was purely replying to your suggestion that he was picked on the basis of only 6 games, which just isn't true.

But this season isn't even finished. It would be ridiculous to take last season domestic list A form Bell into serious consideration. Since he was clearly put of place as international batsman. His 72 in the final Ashes test meant was just one innings, since in the 1st winter test, im sure you have forgotten his shocking leave alone againts Paul Harris. His revival came in the 2nd test @ Durban.

All last season form shows. Was Bell going back to weak domestic List A cricket & scored runs while he was struggling in international cricket. We saw this trend very commonly with Harmison @ Durham, when he would go back to Durham & take a set wickets & when recalled to national side - nothing change. How can the selectors not be picking up these hints??

What had to propell Bell into the selectors consideration for a recall was his last 6 months in test cricket & those limited overs performances for Warwickshire this season. Where has without a doubt looked a more sound player @ international level.

As i said before. Let him play out the season in List A cricket. Their is no sense recalling him now & dropping Trott when he hasn't even had a proper run in the ODI set-up.

Thing is, Patel hasn't been in form for a good 2 and a half years, so any suggestion that he should be ahead of Bell in the pecking order is laughable. I agree that Trott should be ahead of Bell, but not so sold on Shah. Bell outplayed him last season, and Owais hasn't played enough games this year to be ahead of Bell. But I really can't be arsed to argue about Shah vs Bell, as it's Shah fanboy vs Bell fanboy, pointless.

When Patel lasted played for England vs SA & IND 08/09 before he was dropped for his fitness issues. He was going allright as a international player in his role. I never said he should be ahead of Bell right now - i clearly articulated my position on Patel.

Im not a Shah fanboy. Im just defending him based on his performances againts the legacy of dumb English ODI selections. Shah should have never been dropped from the ODI set-up alltogether last year in the first place. Sure with the emergence of Morgan late last year - meant Shah could maintain his first XI place due to his slight running & field defiences (which has tended to be overplayed). He was averaging 35 over a two-year period between IND 2007 - CT 2009 - probabably on KP & Coly could match that average. But it was utter nonsense that he was dropped from the squad totally for a recall for Alastair Cook based on his so called improved "domestic form" :laugh - with all this talk to Graham Gooch had improved his ODI play. Now 6 months later Cook proved my point why he should never been recalled & he is out of the ODI team again :facepalm

So basically Shah had the performances in international cricket last season & over a two-year period. So Bell doing better than him in doemstic cricket last season is irrelevant.

In other news; Bell's 56* from 30 balls in the T20's. He is in magnificent form.

Sure he is very good good form. Once you, anyone else or the selectors dont start calling fro him to be included in the T20 set-up im cool.

Users who are viewing this thread