Bangladesh Team Discussion

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'm going to revive this thread to make a couple of comments on Bangladeshi cricket in general at the moment, and in particular how promising things are beginning to look.

There is a most impressive stock of Test-quality players going around at the moment: at the top of the order, Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Mominul Haque, Shadman Islam and Abdul Mazid have only three places to share between them; the middle order is so well-stocked that Mosaddek Hossain (first-class average: 70) has yet to find a place in it; the spinners are plentiful (Shakib Al Hasan, Taijul Islam, Mehedi Miraz, et al) and there are even young seamers coming through (Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Abu Haider, Ebadat Hossain). It's all very impressive.

Also, Bangladesh is becoming something of a fortress in limited overs cricket (England were the first team in two years to turn up and win a series, and they only did it by the skin of their teeth) and it's no longer somewhere you'd want to go and play a Test match either.

The next step would be to send some of these young players, especially Miraz and Mosaddek, to play county cricket and maybe some First Grade stuff in Australia and gain experience of those conditions.

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
been a long time coming but yes, Taskin, Sabbir and Mehedi emerging so quickly isn't just a bit of good fortune, it shows that their domestic cricket must be internally on the right track that they can pull players into the test arena and see them perform. I don't follow them closely enough to know anything about this mosadekk guy but it is comforting to know that he probably is at least a capable test batsman should they need him.

the huge difference for me though is they now have a core of experienced players, tamim, rahim and shakib are just the most talented players they've produced but it's also because guys like Imrul Kayes have stuck around adding experience to the line up, now the young players are coming into a set up where they play alongside men and learn from them.

Late-Cut

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Our next challange is to win matches outside Bangladesh or better outside Subcontinent.
Another challange is to qualify to ICC World Cup 2019 being in top 8(At the moment we are 7th).
Our domestic structure is still rubbish!.They only rely on useless Slow left Arm Spinners so the guys like Jubair Hossain(Leg Spinner) lose their hopes.
We should create atleast 1 stadium with genuine bouncy pitch to use in domestic matches regularly so Fast bowlers can give their best & the batsmen can improve their backfoot.
We still dont have a genuine Spin bowler(Shakib is good but not mysterious)who can play in any pitches and conditions.Hope Mehedi Miraz can learn some mysterious delivaries like Carrom ball,Doosra,Teesra ext...
MustaFIZZ is the only world class bowler we have but he is still young and injury prone.

My XI for next 1 year:
TEST:
1-Tamim
2-Imrul
3-Mominul
4-Mushfiq
5-Shakib
6-Mahmudullah
7-Sabbir/Soumya/Nasir/Mosaddek
8-Mehedi Miraz
9-Taijul/Jubair or other spinner or Rubel/Al amin/or other Seamer.
10-Taskin
11-Mustafiz

ODI/T20:
1-Tamim
2-Soumya/Imrul
3-Sabbir
4-Mahmudullah
5-Mushfiq
6-Shakib
7-Nasir/Mosaddek/Nurul
8-Mashrafe
9-Mehedi Miraz or Rubel/or another seamer(a seam bowling allrounder would be awesome)
10-Taskin
11-Mustafizz

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Our next challange is to win matches outside Bangladesh or better outside Subcontinent.

while I agree that's a challenge, and most cricket fans usually insist you are rated by how you perform away, I don't think that should be the priority.

if you came up to me and said I could have either a batsman that averaged around 50 in every country or another batsman that averaged over 60 at home but around 40 away, I'd take the second one. If you build your fortress at home first you're automatically favourite in half your games, you build a winning habit and your home press generates credibility for the sport.

it would be nice to worry about trying to win away, but winning away is for the most elite teams, anyone without a team packed with genuinely world class players does not win often in all but the poorest of nations (which up to now one of which has been bangladesh). get your home advantage sorted out first.

agree with the bit about the pitches though, they do need to be getting a bit of variety through in the bowlers.

Late-Cut

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
Bangladesh's tour of Sri Lanka is going to be really interesting.Bangladesh wll play their 100th test match and i hope they give their best. GO:ban:

19/03/17 : We won our 100th Test match :)

Last edited:

A.P Haux

The Meowest Avenger
AUS..
BNG..
Kings XI
RCB...
Melbourne Stars
Avengers
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
Bangladesh Has potential, but they have some problems. They Can't win matches in easy situations (Example: 2016 t20 world cup match against india, 2018 nidahas trophy final). And sometime they play amazingly, with putting 100% into there game and winning very comprehensively, but they cannot always keep it like that and sometimes they do some errors that should not be done, do some common mistakes and thus lose matches. like after they get themselves in a good position, they make a mistake and screw everything up (Example: Batting in 2018 asia cup final, 2017 champions trophy semi final) they really should try to improve in these cases.

SiriusBlack

ICC Chairman
Gonna revive this thread to talk about where we see Bangladesh going in the next few years leading up to the next World Cup in India. It's going to be in the subcontinent so I think we are in with a chance to actually win the thing if things go our way. I actually watched Bangladesh after maybe a couple of years now and I've been impressed with the mental resolve that this team has developed (other than today's game). I still think there's a lot of room for improvement, especially in batting through the innings and bowling in the first thirty overs. Our batsmen barring Shakib and Mushfiq seem to have trouble extending their innings from the 20s and 30s, and we don't seem to be picking up a lot of wickets in the earlier overs which causes runs to leak in the death. Anyone been following Bangladeshi cricket lately and know of anyone who can fill in the gaps that we have?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Gonna revive this thread to talk about where we see Bangladesh going in the next few years leading up to the next World Cup in India. It's going to be in the subcontinent so I think we are in with a chance to actually win the thing if things go our way. I actually watched Bangladesh after maybe a couple of years now and I've been impressed with the mental resolve that this team has developed (other than today's game). I still think there's a lot of room for improvement, especially in batting through the innings and bowling in the first thirty overs. Our batsmen barring Shakib and Mushfiq seem to have trouble extending their innings from the 20s and 30s, and we don't seem to be picking up a lot of wickets in the earlier overs which causes runs to leak in the death. Anyone been following Bangladeshi cricket lately and know of anyone who can fill in the gaps that we have?
I think the batting order is in good shape, but Mahmudullah needs to bat at 4 or 5, with a genuine big hitter in the lower order, maybe Liton Das or Sabbir Rahman?

SiriusBlack

ICC Chairman
I think the batting order is in good shape, but Mahmudullah needs to bat at 4 or 5, with a genuine big hitter in the lower order, maybe Liton Das or Sabbir Rahman?

I think Liton has a lot of potential, Shabbir has been around for a while but he has only shown glimpses of his ability. I think it's time we have a conversation about whether Tamim should be a guaranteed starter or not. He has had a good couple of years but his batting has cost us during this World Cup. I also think Liton should be given the gloves and Mushfiq should be kept on as a batsman.

Bevab

Staff Member
I heard that Rhodes has been sacked. Found that to be very puzzling, why would he be sacked when the team’s shown noticeable improvement under him? Sarkar, Liton and Mosaddek are now playing like they could still have prosperous careers. If anyone needed sacking, it was Walsh for the way bowlers like Taskin have totally regressed and how Fizz has stagnated. @Simon care to shed some light on this situation?

Bevab

Staff Member
I think Liton has a lot of potential, Shabbir has been around for a while but he has only shown glimpses of his ability. I think it's time we have a conversation about whether Tamim should be a guaranteed starter or not. He has had a good couple of years but his batting has cost us during this World Cup. I also think Liton should be given the gloves and Mushfiq should be kept on as a batsman.

Isn’t Liton the better keeper anyway? I remember him taking an absolute insane catch in a test few months ago.

Tamim’s shown worrying signs of regression like you’ve mentioned. It’s good that Shadman Islam has come into the side for test matches already. Liton could probably open in white ball cricket alongside Sarkar.

SiriusBlack

ICC Chairman
I heard that Rhodes has been sacked. Found that to be very puzzling, why would he be sacked when the team’s shown noticeable improvement under him? Sarkar, Liton and Mosaddek are now playing like they could still have prosperous careers. If anyone needed sacking, it was Walsh for the way bowlers like Taskin have totally regressed and how Fizz has stagnated. @Simon care to shed some light on this situation?

I don't know honestly since I haven't followed cricket closely for the past couple of years or so. BCB is pretty incompetent so I wouldn't be surprised if they made a wrong call.

Isn’t Liton the better keeper anyway? I remember him taking an absolute insane catch in a test few months ago.

I think so, yes. Mushfiq has some nice diving catches but his awareness and decision making as a keeper have never been great as far as my memory goes, and he's dropped a few too. Liton seems great in the outfield too which could be why he is stationed there instead. Mushfiq might not be as good in the outfield as he is with the gloves (I don't recall seeing him there) so maybe they're keeping things this way to strike a balance.

Tamim’s shown worrying signs of regression like you’ve mentioned. It’s good that Shadman Islam has come into the side for test matches already. Liton could probably open in white ball cricket alongside Sarkar.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think he was just not that good to begin with in important games, especially the World Cup.

I acknowledge the fact that there aren't many alternatives for Tamim in that position, but someone needs to get stuff done up there instead of scewing things at the top every single game.

Nothing really changed since my post four years ago, in terms of World Cup performances. It's most likely a mental block because he has certainly showed his ability elsewhere. Thing is, if he's the best opener we've ever had (which he is!), it's a fair expectation to see him contribute more in the big games and I think it's reasonable to have this as a criteria to question his long-term position in the side especially now that we have alternatives. Liton and Soumya will be 28 and 30 in 2023, and I think if they spend these years batting together at the top with the potential they have, we should have a really good top order (especially if Shakib retains his form till then).

I haven't watched Shadman bat yet so I can't comment on that, but it's always good to see new talent come through.

Users who are viewing this thread