Basic Maths needed before starting JEE prep?

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I can't say I agree with all this coaching center crap. It's bullshit if you ask me. It's pretty obvious you aren't all that smart if you have to go to those centers to get good grades.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
I can't say I agree with all this coaching center crap. It's bullshit if you ask me. It's pretty obvious you aren't all that smart if you have to go to those centers to get good grades.
Well I didn't go to one for grades in my school / board exams. I went there because there's a huge difference in my board syllabus and IIT-JEE entrance exam's syllabus, which I had no means to cover up. Moreover, not only IIT, most entrance exams ask questions of a bit higher level than the school ones, which require a bit more open-mindedness / concepts to solve. I didn't go there to sit in the class, make notes, mug them up, get the grades tbh (Though I'd agree many go there for exactly this!)

But yes, the kind of blind race this has become, what with parents forcing kids into it, and kids going for it without any career ambition (Most of kids I ask in my standard, who're about to give the exams in about a months time with me - "What type of engineering are you interested in?" A - "Oh any, I don't mind any, I'll do anything which I can get" - wtf?) - That, is ridiculous.

Kshitiz_Indian added 1 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

If I don't get into IIT I will study CS from MIT:p
Free Online MIT Course Materials | Electrical Engineering and Computer Science | MIT OpenCourseWare

Neo95 added 2 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

Free Online MIT Course Materials | Physics | MIT OpenCourseWare
These Physics courses are enough for JEE!!! and that lecturer is simply amazing:D
You're in 10'th, don't think about IIT and stuff now. Concentrate on your current studies and don't try to jump to this entrance exams bandwagon already or you'll be having a hard time. There's a time for everything, and 10'th is not it.

Neo95

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
You're in 10'th, don't think about IIT and stuff now. Concentrate on your current studies and don't try to jump to this entrance exams bandwagon already or you'll be having a hard time. There's a time for everything, and 10'th is not it.

I guess you are right.But I think I will have a hard time because -
(i)ICSE Sanskrit is bloody difficult:facepalm
(ii)I have to go to a coaching class .Otherwise I will be crushed,Kshitiz.Things down in South are insanely different and Andhra Pradesh esp there are too many coaching centres and a lot of guys crack JEE over here(10% of all JEE rankers are from AP).But I am a bit confident because the coaching centre is the best and it's just 1 km from my home and my school is 500 metres from the caoching centre.

Even if I take out IIT from my mind.I will still have a hard time in 10th.I guess it's pointless asking on an online forum on how to not have a hard time.

(Most of kids I ask in my standard, who're about to give the exams in about a months time with me - "What type of engineering are you interested in?" A - "Oh any, I don't mind any, I'll do anything which I can get" - wtf?) - That, is ridiculous.

You are right Kshitiz I asked my friends the same question and they replied the same thing:doh and whenever I say that I want to be a computer engineer.People here say that I am overambitious and I have an outlandish thinking:sarcasm

King Cricket

International Coach
Neo95 said:
People here say that I am overambitious and I have an outlandish thinking

Just don't pay any heed to these people. With time, they will get bored and give up doing such stuff.

Kshitiz_Indian said:
But yes, the kind of blind race this has become, what with parents forcing kids into it, and kids going for it without any career ambition (Most of kids I ask in my standard, who're about to give the exams in about a months time with me - "What type of engineering are you interested in?" A - "Oh any, I don't mind any, I'll do anything which I can get" - wtf?) - That, is ridiculous.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well I didn't go to one for grades in my school / board exams. I went there because there's a huge difference in my board syllabus and IIT-JEE entrance exam's syllabus, which I had no means to cover up. Moreover, not only IIT, most entrance exams ask questions of a bit higher level than the school ones, which require a bit more open-mindedness / concepts to solve. I didn't go there to sit in the class, make notes, mug them up, get the grades tbh (Though I'd agree many go there for exactly this!)

Yeah he is right, and according to me you should contact any student who qualified in IIT near your house and ask him what is required and which coaching centre is good there. Remember, coaching centres aren't crap, they are considered crap because student don't take them seriously and they make you aware about what you're going to face in IIT because there is a huge bridge between studies of 10th and 11th.
I am too, joining FIITJEE from 10th class cause it will build up my concepts.
Also Of course, Remember you should choose the best coaching centre in your city.
And do not think THEY will train you. They will just guide you . You yourself have to help yourself.

Good Luck!

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Yeah he is right, and according to me you should contact any student who qualified in IIT near your house and ask him what is required and which coaching centre is good there. Remember, coaching centres aren't crap, they are considered crap because student don't take them seriously and they make you aware about what you're going to face in IIT because there is a huge bridge between studies of 10th and 11th.
I am too, joining FIITJEE from 10th class cause it will build up my concepts.
Also Of course, Remember you should choose the best coaching centre in your city.
And do not think THEY will train you. They will just guide you . You yourself have to help yourself.

Good Luck!
Err, take my sincere advice. Concentrate on your 10'th first, getting into the field early isn't necessarily a good thing. You can think about IIT and stuff in 11'th.

Neo95

Club Cricketer
Err, take my sincere advice. Concentrate on your 10'th first, getting into the field early isn't necessarily a good thing. You can think about IIT and stuff in 11'th.

I will do that.My point is that I can't help it:(.But thanks for advice.

Anyways these changes will start from my batch
http://www.topnews.in/curriculum-all-schools-have-common-science-and-maths-2253664

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/s...rance-test-for-students-in-the-offing/580416/

Could someone enlighten me on it's possible implications??

Last edited:

Neo95

Club Cricketer
BUMP Guys Just joined my coaching institute.Just a km from my home.Amazing teachers they have:). and things are all smooth for now.

Amiya

Panel of Selectors
I am still confused between FIITJEE and Brilliant and will give Aakash entrance exam on 4th April. 10% fee reduction is already ensured in Aakash as my father is graduate engineer. :p

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
BUMP Guys Just joined my coaching institute.Just a km from my home.Amazing teachers they have:). and things are all smooth for now.

Which one?

Amiya said:
I am still confused between FIITJEE and Brilliant and will give Aakash entrance exam on 4th April. 10% fee reduction is already ensured in Aakash as my father is graduate engineer.

IMO, FIITJEE is better than Brilliant. Don't know about Aakash.

Neo95

Club Cricketer
Which one?

It is a local institute but a very good one.It is a high school cum coaching class(for 11th/12th).I am taking it's JEE foundation classes.Every year 10-15 students from this institute get admitted into IIT's and it is a fact.

It has got it's own entrance exam for 11th/12th and out of which only 5% of applicants are selected.They conduct the entrance exams every year on Feb 1st timings 8-11.30 pm.

Oh and for those who don't know where I live,I live in Visakhapatnam

Hitterman

International Coach
I just completed thermodynamics in the morning. I hope this years IIT won't be too tough. Does anyone know any good online mock test site for IIT-JEE?

Nishant, you once gave me a good mock test site in gtalk but I forgot it. Please can you give me that again.

Users who are viewing this thread