Bat Care, Repair and General Tips

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
As A_A mentioned, surface cracks arn't anything to worry about, and more importantly should be left to develop naturally.

Cracks on and around the toe are fairly common on most bats, and as long as they aren't reaching too far up, or into the bat, they shouldn't be a major problem. If your worried, stick a toe protector to give a bit more protection, but in all honesty, if the crack isn't major i see no reason for you to worry :p I have a little bit of wood missing from the bottom of my bat, but with my bat having a sweet spot fairly high up, its not a worry.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Toe protectors mainly protect against erosion. If you're worried, use some fibreglass tape like this.
61804.jpg

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Speaking of the tape, I was just thinking something. Wouldn't it be an effective way of to the effect of knocking the bat in. I seem to remember reading that knocking the bat in compresses the grains and wouldn't fibreglass tape to the same?

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
Not really, the act of knocking a bat in actually knits the fibres of the bat together and makes it permanent through time (which is why you're advised to knock a bat in over time).

All tape will do is to help protect the bat and hold it together, it won't actually help in preparing the wood.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Not really, the act of knocking a bat in actually knits the fibres of the bat together and makes it permanent through time (which is why you're advised to knock a bat in over time).

All tape will do is to help protect the bat and hold it together, it won't actually help in preparing the wood.

Thanks for the speedy responce. Sounds good in theory, but I always thought it wouldn't work properly.

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
I can see where you're coming from and there is some logic in there. The way I look at is, if there was an easy way to knock a cricket bat in then someone would have mass produced it by now.

The quickest way available at the moment is too run it through a press but even that leaves a need for some knocking in.

Saltires

Club Cricketer
Hi, I've got an old Puma X-Bow 4000 that I bought from a schoolmate two years ago but its getting old now. Its a heavy harrow with good swing in it and I've kinda outgrown it but the weight isn't too bad. Considering that Puma have changed all their stock and things around which bat/maker would you recommend for getting a similar style of weight distribution and/or pick up and such like?? I understand that there are lots of different bats out there but I thought that with your experience you might have an idea.

And also, do you think it would be reasonable to ask people in a shop to put a scuff-sheet on for you or should you buy one seperately??

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
Are you looking for a full size bat now? The best advice I can give is to go and try a few bats out. Due to the fact that a bat is a natural product you can get a fair bit of variation between bats of the same model let alone different brands.

If you like Puma then try them again or even Millichamp and Hall. It helps if you can get to a shop that has a good selection but I know that isn't always an option. One tip is to start with a bat around the 2lb 10 mark. It's a good middle weight and it'll let you get an idea if you want to go heavier or lighter.

Maybe a try a Puma Ballistic as that seems to have good weight distribution, also look at Millichamp and Hall S6 (you may have to shop around for the best price but now is the time to do it). Those two are off the top of my head but most companies will have similar, just look for bats with a low to middle sweet spot or are described as being a 'light pick up'.

I would expect staff to offer to apply the anti-scuff sheet as part of the price. Its very binding and can lift the wood so if you're unsure get them to do it.

Saltires

Club Cricketer
ok thanks AA. I'll get down to the InterSport in Penrith (incidentally the only good cricket shop south of Glasgow!!) probably middle of next season, but as you say now is the time to shop around so I might get it done in the off season.

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
I would say go down and have a play with the bats and if you find one you like the look of, go and do a bit of searching on google. Find the best price for, then take a copy of the page down to the shop and see if they will match it.

If they can't match the price see what they'll chuck in for free. You may get a bat cover, some oil, mallet etc. If there is a big difference in price, ask for gloves or something. It always helps to haggle if you feel confident enough.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Anyone have any previous experience with reebok bats ? I am interested in the Reebok Centurian and have found it for £102.89, 2lb 10oz, SH, Grade 1 English Willow and it comes with 2 free grips, and they will oil and knock the bat in for you. What's the Reebok kit in general like ? The gloves are only £30 aswell and look very nice. I like the style of the Reebok equipment, and alot of the big hitters use Reebok bats, Gayle and Dhoni for example. So what are the Reebok bats like ? The centurion to be specific.

Heres the link

dikon

Club Cricketer
Anyone have any previous experience with reebok bats ? I am interested in the Reebok Centurian and have found it for ?102.89, 2lb 10oz, SH, Grade 1 English Willow and it comes with 2 free grips, and they will oil and knock the bat in for you. What's the Reebok kit in general like ? The gloves are only ?30 aswell and look very nice. I like the style of the Reebok equipment, and alot of the big hitters use Reebok bats, Gayle and Dhoni for example. So what are the Reebok bats like ? The centurion to be specific.

Heres the link

Most of the rbks are factory made so you may get a complete dud.If your looking for a rbk have a look on eBay some cheap rbk bats on there.Overall if you play at a decent standard i'd look at getting a better quality bat depending on your budget.

Chimp132

International Cricketer
i sanded down my old gray nicolls bat because it had loads of seam maks on it (from not being knocked in) but then ive applied a clear anti scuff sheet to it, will the anti scuff sheet stop the seam marks when i hit the ball ?

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
It'll stop most of them but nothing is 100% fool proof unless you play with a tennis ball.

Remember that willow is a natural product and isn't designed to be used against 5 1/2oz of cork and leather being thrown at it at up to 90mph.

The only way to keep a batting looking pristine is not to use it.

Last edited:

Chimp132

International Cricketer
lol fair enough :p just i was getting annoyed with my gray nicolls as it was never going to be propley knocked in and just had a few cracks and seam marks on it. decided to sand the seam marks out then fit a anti scuff so now i will get some use out of it lol :D

Users who are viewing this thread