Batting mentality

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I am really getting into bowling in this game, apart from the late cut to yorkers which seems to be prevalent.

I was wondering though, because I am getting some slightly different results (I have just had Alistair Cook play two reverse sweeps in a run a ball 50), does batting mentality have an effect here that you guys have noticed? I had the same with a conservative Tom Latham creaming the ball around everywhere, while the balanced Jeet Raval plodded along at a strike rate of 30.

More testing to do, but please tell me what you think of whether the AI batsmen mentalities are changing the game for you.

I'm not sure if i'm just imagining it but in my career got asked to play for essex and when bowling the batters are much different to CLUB (obviously you would think) but it maybe down to different match type aswell.. 50 over for essex where club is only T20. Much more careful in early overs not to lose early wickets. Maybe me over thinking it and not many games played at that level yet but will report later on :)

Yes I'm more comparing the same match type and different batsmen. Again I've got Labuschagne (con) on 21 (28) and Warner (agg) on 11 (27). To early to tell yet but this is worrying me a bit., The conservative batsman has just run down the track and pumped Lyon for four while Warner carries on blocking. Oh dear, say this ain't so!

Ahh i see no worries :)

I'm not sure if i'm just imagining it but in my career got asked to play for essex and when bowling the batters are much different to CLUB (obviously you would think) but it maybe down to different match type aswell.. 50 over for essex where club is only T20. Much more careful in early overs not to lose early wickets. Maybe me over thinking it and not many games played at that level yet but will report later on :)
Did you download munkeymomo's teams? If so, when you selected your team were the overall ratings of each team 0?

Did you download munkeymomo's teams? If so, when you selected your team were the overall ratings of each team 0?

Yes, You mean when you select which county you'll play in ? if so yes but i think it's like that due to you not playing for 'essex' as you then pick a lower 'pub' team.

So far mines been as it should. However, if this is the case these are the little adjustments that 14 needed. It just irritates me that this stuff was ignored yet we get a flashing stumps!

So far mines been as it should. However, if this is the case these are the little adjustments that 14 needed. It just irritates me that this stuff was ignored yet we get a flashing stumps!

Yes all I wanted was 14 where the attributes actually mattered. That's relieving to hear, maybe i am just not bowling as well at the conservative guys. Could anyone provide some stats or observations? I have to go out but maybe someone could post some scores from brutes, conservative, aggressive, etc.

For me the big difference is the ability and then the mentality. For instance I was bowling to Cook and Hameed (80 vs 64) and Cook was going at a run a ball even though he is conservative while Hameed had a strike rate of 30 but has a balanced mentality...

For me the big difference is the ability and then the mentality. For instance I was bowling to Cook and Hameed (80 vs 64) and Cook was going at a run a ball even though he is conservative while Hameed had a strike rate of 30 but has a balanced mentality...

I can agree with this as well. I think some of the players are over skilled!

Interesting you should say that. So we are still unable to make an Alistair Cook? (A highly skilled yet defensive player)

Interesting you should say that. So we are still unable to make an Alistair Cook? (A highly skilled yet defensive player)

I'm not sure, you can try making someone with max defensive ability and 0 attacking ability and high skills for all the other departments and see what happens...

@Langeveldt - Which team versions are you using? On the PC collaboration version of England, it does seem that Cook has 89 for Attacking and 71 for Defending, so that might be why? I was sure he had a much lower attacking stat than that when I looked previously. Maybe they changed it, but it might need adjusting again from what you're saying.

Anyway, I'm glad someone is looking at this. One more thing I'm wondering about, if you don't mind keeping an eye out or having a look for it, is whether players play to their strengths. I've noticed when creating players that if you have someone with strengths and weaknesses rather than just a perfect all round game, their overall rating drops pretty drastically by comparison. However, if the AI is smart enough to use that player's strong points and not its weak points, then those players should still be able to make good scores in theory, and the ratings are then more of a guideline.

For example, maybe you could try setting up a few generally good players but with, for example, low driving skills or low sweep shot skills...does the AI then know to avoid those shots? I'm really curious about this as otherwise any player who isn't a complete all-round batsman is probably going to under-perform.

@Langeveldt - Which team versions are you using? On the PC collaboration version of England, it does seem that Cook has 89 for Attacking and 71 for Defending, so that might be why? I was sure he had a much lower attacking stat than that when I looked previously. Maybe they changed it, but it might need adjusting again from what you're saying.

Anyway, I'm glad someone is looking at this. One more thing I'm wondering about, if you don't mind keeping an eye out oflr having a look for it, is whether players play to their strengths. I've noticed when creating players that if you have someone with strengths and weaknesses rather than just a perfect all round game, their overall rating drops pretty drastically by comparison. However, if the AI is smart enough to use that player's strong points and not its weak points, then those players should still be able to make good scores in theory, and the ratings are then more of a guideline.

For example, maybe you could try setting up a few generally good players but with, for example, low driving skills or low sweep shot skills...does the AI then know to avoid those shots? I'm really curious about this as otherwise any player who isn't a complete all-round batsman is probably going to under-perform.

I have changed them all to realistic settings and saw no difference. At the moment I am bowling at Labuschagne and Warner. One is conservative, the other I have set to brute, and I can see absolutely no difference now. One has very low attacking ability and one not.

It seems that a lower rating gives some more nicks, which is a welcome thing, but I cannot see any difference between "mentality". The conservative guy has run down the pitch twice in Lyon's first over to try and launch him over the top.

This strikes of the whole thing being a purely cosmetic solution, and the silence from Big Ant on it is annoying. They appear to have now taken into consideration how good a player is in this release, but still there is nothing to say an attacking or a defensive player is facing you, which is a great shame.

EDIT - The testing continues, but I think it might have something to do with changing the gameplay sliders. I have gone into a match with default sliders, on pro, and am starting to see a bit more of a difference. I seem to remember watching a stream where I was impressed at how the batsmen were going along with different intents and I am sure it was in this game somewhere!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread