Attributes and Mentalities

anandponnath

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So that's why you see so many club players in the first class side when you make it?
Must be. After you spent ages trying to make it in.
I hope bigant can get the that sorted, it's not really bug, but it's bugging.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
@wasteyouryouth Reading through this sounds very interesting. Having played only 3 ashes tests so far. Many little things bug me. Seems mentality's still don't work properly. Lyon bowls way too many wronguns/dooseras in a over during test match. Stuff like that gets on my nerves. Also cook batting like he's not cook aswell lol. How are you finding it at the mo? Have you set up 2 sides with reduced stats and better suitable mentalities on the academy? I'd love to try it out aswell. I've not downloaded any teams or anything from academy on ashes yet. Just been playing ashes test matches. I've always felt that players are 'overpowered' when you play internationals no real weakness's to exploit.

Sorry for the ramble :p
Have a ramble in response.

I've not been on top of this since I got the PC version. Also I realised Ashes/new players overall ratings are averaged differently to older players (players that are probably from the DBC 17 database). Some players also, when all skills are reduced to zero still have some skill points (probably a hangover from DBC 14 database where they had different skills). @Llewelynf mentioned in another thread that the skills look random for Ashes players and I think probably down to making them balance with the old players so they have equivalent overall ratings. Generally I just ignore the overall rating and focus on the BAT/BWL/FLD ratings cause they are averaged from the skills.

Anyway the set up I created is tiered levels; nine for batting and eight for bowling.

Legend
Star
Very Good
Good
Average
Below Average
Ok
Tailender/Poor for bowling
Number 11

The inputs I use are First Class average and first class strike rate (test match if not available). So you can use it for international and non-internationals. Then as at least one secondary input is where I choose what category I think that fits into. This balances it out - there's a few Indian players I've noticed with really high averages that have never played test cricket, Mayank Agarwal for example, who if you go just off his average would rate as a 'Legend'.

The average and the 'opinion' both score points, then the average of those points looks up into a table and comes back with what rating that player should have. I've also got a table to show how many skill points will get to that rating and a 'guide' of how many points to allocate to each area, which is interchangeable, specifically to allow for weaknesses. For bowlers I generally keep accuracy as the highest rating because if they drop too far is when you start getting all kinds of wides.

The strike rates is as follows:

76.65 Brute
67.31 Brute/Aggressive
59.00 Aggressive
53.84 Aggressive/Balanced
51.49 Balanced
48.96 Balanced/Precise
47.38 Precise
44.88 Precise/Conservative
28.37 Conservative

Generally it's fairly consistent guide for with players regardless of the formats they are strongest in. But I'm not bound by it and will change if I think it's worth it. The only one I've noticed that was questionable was Eoin Morgan, but I just bumped him up to Aggressive.

In terms of trying it out
I set up the Australian test team with batting and bowling mentalities for a match I've just played. The mentalities for bowlers were based on the descriptions, observation from the game and trying to get something mixed to see what difference it made. To be honest they all felt pretty realistic - as much as you can get at least.
Starc - Balanced or Aggressive (not at my PC right now)
Hazlewood - Precise
Cummins - Brute
Lyon - Conservative

With the batting, Bancroft came in and smashed a fifty ball 50 in the second innings despite being conservative but I think in general everyone else played close to their real life selves with the exception of random six hitting but I think that is down to the game itself.

Also played/started a match with the 1993 Ashes teams that @cd779 did where I set up both teams with mentalities and changed skills too and batted and bowled. I do want to try that out again so I could happily share them cause it would be interesting to get others opinions. And if anyone wants to have their opinions included it's fairly straightforward to add in and I could do that before sharing.

When it comes to skills, unless I'm adding a new player or correcting an obvious error, I haven't shared anything based on this (other than some with mentalities changed). I don't want to be responsible for tweaking up everyone's games! I'd sooner wait for patches to solve issues or at least test it and get a consensus of how to skill players/share the blame. :lol

UnknownSoul

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Yeah I'd love to give it a go v AI. If it's okay for 2 teams to be uploaded to academy ?

Do you use any sliders when using these teams?

I also see the random 6 hitting out of nowhere if you're pinning them in, feels per-determined.
I've not started a career or downloaded anything yet from the academy as waiting for the incredible work for all the teams to be done :)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Yeah I'd love to give it a go v AI. If it's okay for 2 teams to be uploaded to academy ?

Do you use any sliders when using these teams?

I also see the random 6 hitting out of nowhere if you're pinning them in, feels per-determined.
I've not started a career or downloaded anything yet from the academy as waiting for the incredible work for all the teams to be done :)
I don't use any sliders.

I've shared versions of the Australia 1993 and England 1993 sides done by @cd779. I've also added some one day players for England (Fairbrother, Reeve, Cork, Jarvis, Pringle, Illingworth) and the 1992 World Cup kits I did. I've also done a few more faces, not all.

I've skilled all the players based on my method.

Shared under my username: wasteyouryouth1

UnknownSoul

Associate Cricketer
Thank you very much. I myself just went through the accademy only on aus - eng teams... wow some of the mentalities given to players are so stupid. So i went through them all just changing the styles and mentality's to see how it is.

Will download your teams later tonight and have a go :) Thanks again

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I have shared versions of the teams below with player attributes edited using the method I devised. Appreciate any feedback about it if people do test.

Only the default test line ups for these sides have been edited. If you download the players individually instead of the teams then you'll have to change the sides manually to get the full effect.

England (individual players): Cook, Stoneman, Vince, Root, Malan, Stokes, Bairstow, Broad, Wood, Leach, Anderson
India: Vijay, Rahul, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Patel, Pandya, Ashwin, Shami, Ishant Sharma, Bumrah
New Zealand: Raval, Latham, Williamson, Taylor, Nicholls, Watling, de Grandhomme, Southee, Sodhi, Wagner, Boult
South Africa: Elgar, Markram, Amla, de Villiers, du Plessis, Bavuma, de Kock, Philander, Rabada, Maharaj, Ngidi, Elgar

There may be differences to some players in terms of their appearance (so if you don't want them just download the skills).

Any questions let me know. If anyone DESPERATELY would like me to do another team (test teams only at this point) then let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

UnknownSoul

Associate Cricketer
I have shared versions of the teams below with player attributes edited using the method I devised. Appreciate any feedback about it if people do test.

Only the default test line ups for these sides have been edited. If you download the players individually instead of the teams then you'll have to change the sides manually to get the full effect.

England (individual players): Cook, Stoneman, Vince, Root, Malan, Stokes, Bairstow, Broad, Wood, Leach, Anderson
India: Vijay, Rahul, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Patel, Pandya, Ashwin, Shami, Ishant Sharma, Bumrah
New Zealand: Raval, Latham, Williamson, Taylor, Nicholls, Watling, de Grandhomme, Southee, Sodhi, Wagner, Boult
South Africa: Elgar, Markram, Amla, de Villiers, du Plessis, Bavuma, de Kock, Philander, Rabada, Maharaj, Ngidi, Elgar

There may be differences to some players in terms of their appearance (so if you don't want them just download the skills).

Any questions let me know. If anyone DESPERATELY would like me to do another team (test teams only at this point) then let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thank you very much. Now downloading them :)

D

Dutch

@wasteyouryouth

I couldn't find the England team.....or are they te individual players? Mm re-reading your post i think I know the answer....if you ever have the inclination to have a look at your associate sides that would be very coo!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
@wasteyouryouth

I couldn't find the England team.....or are they te individual players? Mm re-reading your post i think I know the answer....if you ever have the inclination to have a look at your associate sides that would be very coo!
Yeah, England/Australia can't be shared but the players can on their own or with domestic teams.

At the moment I genuinely want feedback from anyone who tries them. I finished a match myself and it was pretty good, the issues seem more related to the game than the re-skilling. But it might be different for others. I'm kind of on board for any way to improve it.

Also think it would be good to throw the net wider to bring in some other people to 'rate' players, it would still produce an average but currently it's just me and the stats. Beyond that, if it is something a number of people want to adopt then it might be a bigger project of editing.

D

Dutch

The random lofted slog is still there for some players but generally the pace has been excellent and the wickets gorgeous! Playing NZ against SA and SA electing to bat are 64 for 3 off 18 overs under overcast skies on a grassy hard pitch.....some beautiful balls, near misses, good balanced test cricket.....

D

Deleted member 185125

@wasteyouryouth I have downloaded the ones you have done. Will give them a try in next couple of days. I also see few Pakistan domestic and Barbados shared as well. Are they with updated skills?

Users who are viewing this thread