Dean Johnes Method (reskilling players)

D

Dutch

@wasteyouryouth I have your test teams but they have squad numbers on the back....probably I am doing something foolish?

@Rumple43 Great vid might inspire me again! IF you are ever looking for some original music soundtrack for a vid let me know! (Not wanting to hijack this thread!)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
@wasteyouryouth I have your test teams but they have squad numbers on the back....probably I am doing something foolish?

@Rumple43 Great vid might inspire me again! IF you are ever looking for some original music soundtrack for a vid let me know! (Not wanting to hijack this thread!)
Is it the Aus and Eng sides? Probably just me forgetting to turn them off.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Yeah the aussie and England side not calle DJmethod or something....will need to look! What is the difference between those squads?
Shouldn't be any difference in terms of players, if the skills were updated, unless there are some that aren't in the new ones but I doubt that. The DJ Method versions were just earlier versions. Adding the new kits I figured to leave off the method.

D

Dutch

Shouldn't be any difference in terms of players, if the skills were updated, unless there are some that aren't in the new ones but I doubt that. The DJ Method versions were just earlier versions. Adding the new kits I figured to leave off the method.
Comprendez!

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Not much to report when batting, was significantly more "testing" than the enjoyable game play for bowling.

A few things I noticed are pretty much just programming I think. England have Anderson, Broad, Stokes, Woakes and Curran, plus Ali. All 5 seamers, even Curran, will absolutely bang at least 2 balls in short. Green pitch. Loads of a swing. Bang it in boys! Root must be losing his mind haha

I progressed fairly easily to 62-0, at which point Ali came on and cleaned me up. Mainly because I've not faced any spin since I changed all my setting when moving away from pro cam. He was something like 6 overs, 4 maidens, 6-3 when I simmed the rest of my innings to get back to batting with the top order again. Again, not sure this is anything related to the reskilled players, simply to me and how I play (badly, it appears!).

I did feel that Ali was turning it far too much, so that's a change I've made to my own sliders, dropping revs from 30 down to 15. As a finger spinner, he shouldn't be ripping it on a day 2, green, pristine pitch.

After simming innings 3, I now need 540 to win in the 4th innings. Hopefully Ali will come back on whilst I'm still working on how best to play the spinners, I'd enjoy the practice. All in all, still work to do for me to find my own competitive balance, but the players are holding up great for the most part.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Not much to report when batting, was significantly more "testing" than the enjoyable game play for bowling.

A few things I noticed are pretty much just programming I think. England have Anderson, Broad, Stokes, Woakes and Curran, plus Ali. All 5 seamers, even Curran, will absolutely bang at least 2 balls in short. Green pitch. Loads of a swing. Bang it in boys! Root must be losing his mind haha

I progressed fairly easily to 62-0, at which point Ali came on and cleaned me up. Mainly because I've not faced any spin since I changed all my setting when moving away from pro cam. He was something like 6 overs, 4 maidens, 6-3 when I simmed the rest of my innings to get back to batting with the top order again. Again, not sure this is anything related to the reskilled players, simply to me and how I play (badly, it appears!).

I did feel that Ali was turning it far too much, so that's a change I've made to my own sliders, dropping revs from 30 down to 15. As a finger spinner, he shouldn't be ripping it on a day 2, green, pristine pitch.

After simming innings 3, I now need 540 to win in the 4th innings. Hopefully Ali will come back on whilst I'm still working on how best to play the spinners, I'd enjoy the practice. All in all, still work to do for me to find my own competitive balance, but the players are holding up great for the most part.
I think bowlers seem very limited by the mentality. It certainly seems that they will bowl the same deliveries regardless of the conditions of the pitch or format. I have tried to match them up based on my experience of playing the game but even then it isn't always ideal and I think it's a lot more difficult to create bowlers that seem realistic, at least with batting there is a link to strike rate.

Aggressive and Brute seem bowl a lot of short delivers, balanced will bowl them too and precise and conservative seem to bowl a lot more cutters. I did initially think about setting all bowlers to Balanced but then I think it runs the risk of becoming even more one dimensional.

I've thought since the game was released that AI bowling is the weakest area of the game, when that's paired up with questionable fields I think it creates a big imbalance between batting for human players and how the AI approaches things. The ring field used by spinners in powerplays is a great example. I'd expect I'd concede 7-8 runs using that field whereas I can easily, with little risk, score double that.

I've tried to limit spin but I have found in the past green pitches react a lot spin. I've played in the past on green decks, had no luck with seamers then had four five wickets with a spinner on day one.

Thank you for the feedback! I'll take it on board.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
@Rumple43 I just bowled a couple of overs with spinners (Ali and Rashid). Firstly on day one with the new ball on a green, pristine pitch. Then late day 1 with the new ball on a crumbly, worn pitch. The difference in spin, if there was any, was not noticeable. At least to me.

Small sample size but you'd think there would be some difference, right?

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
You would think so.

I’d be interested to see how it turns first thing on day 2, and if the pitch only degrades overnight and is constant while it’s played on through a day.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Aside from their overall rating, and their mentality, are there any visible differences at all to how players behave? I guess it's hard to test really.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I quickly wrapped up my game v England and moved on to playing Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka for something totally different.

They won the toss and asked me to bowl. I’ve got them 71-5 at lunch. It feels different. Sri Lanka just don’t seem as good I suppose. Fewer attacking shots. Fewer good contact shots. Play and misses. Plenty hitting the pads as well. I would imagine their judgement and batting attributes are lower than England’s and it shows.

I got 2 LBWs with Starc early, then two shouts that were both umpires call that didn’t go my way, plus one that I couldn’t review that would have been out! Was an exciting passage of play. Then I brought on the spinners. Zampa took two in an over, one caught at short leg, the other caught behind.

When I played England, players like Bairstow and Stokes looked really in control, much less of that here. Could be the soft, crumbly pitch, I’ll probably struggle with the bat as well, but it does feel different. Still very enjoyable.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Aside from their overall rating, and their mentality, are there any visible differences at all to how players behave? I guess it's hard to test really.

Can you define behave? I’ve only got a very limited sample size, but I’ll do my best if there’s examples of what you’re looking for.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Can you define behave? I’ve only got a very limited sample size, but I’ll do my best if there’s examples of what you’re looking for.

I guess it's hard to quantify, but does strength actually mean they clear the ropes more? (AI batters), does special shots actually mean they execute special shots more frequently and to greater effect?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I quickly wrapped up my game v England and moved on to playing Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka for something totally different.

They won the toss and asked me to bowl. I’ve got them 71-5 at lunch. It feels different. Sri Lanka just don’t seem as good I suppose. Fewer attacking shots. Fewer good contact shots. Play and misses. Plenty hitting the pads as well. I would imagine their judgement and batting attributes are lower than England’s and it shows.

I got 2 LBWs with Starc early, then two shouts that were both umpires call that didn’t go my way, plus one that I couldn’t review that would have been out! Was an exciting passage of play. Then I brought on the spinners. Zampa took two in an over, one caught at short leg, the other caught behind.

When I played England, players like Bairstow and Stokes looked really in control, much less of that here. Could be the soft, crumbly pitch, I’ll probably struggle with the bat as well, but it does feel different. Still very enjoyable.
I've never noticed judgement do much so it is likely to be the lower skilled players.

I think on certain pitches I have noticed the AI bat worse too.

[
I guess it's hard to quantify, but does strength actually mean they clear the ropes more? (AI batters), does special shots actually mean they execute special shots more frequently and to greater effect?

From what I've noticed, whether it has always been this way or is a recent thing, is that Aggressive and Brute players seem to play the special shots.

Staresblank

Club Captain
I'm sorry but I downloaded your teams and it's literally unplayable - Chris Gayle just ran a 3 in an ODI.......

Seriously though it does feel better - shots feel much more dynamic - the AI is a lot better hooking and pulling. Thanks for your hard work

Users who are viewing this thread