Best 5 Batsmen ever

Was doing some research about the late "WG Grace" and decided to do a search on these boards... however, I came across this topic which obviously dates back to April of this year. I thought, I'd pop in and check out some thoughts and opinons of sorts. Some rather ridicious mentions to say the list, like Sehwag, Dhoni, Gilchrist, Afridi who aren't REAL Test match BATSMAN... you may as well voted for Glenn McGrath or Courtney Walsh.

Personally, I have been watching cricket since 1997 when I was 6 years. So I probably won't have that great of an opinion.

I couldn't fairly number it down to 5, so I did 10.

1. Sir Donald Bradman
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Sachin Tendulker
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Sir Garry Sobers
6. Sir Viv Richards
7. Brian Lara
8. Jaques Kallis
9. Greg Chappell
10. Rahul Dravid

Yeah, I might as well get hammered for some of the ordering. Though, I believe Hayden during the course of 2001 to mid 2004 was as good if not better then any batsman who played the game.

Last edited:
here r my 5 top batsman....
1. Ricky Ponting
2. Mohammad yousaf
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Brian Lara
5. Wasim Akram

Why on earth are Dhoni and Akram being touted as great batsmen? If this is teh case then GoJo and Farhat deserve a mention. :rolleyes:

As for my top 5, i'm doing it on modern day players. I've only been watching cricket since 1994 (yes, I was only 4) so I don't have a good enough view of Clive Lloyd, Don Bradman and others touted to being the best.

1. Brian Lara
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Inzamam Ul-Haq
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Rahul Dravid

^ look how fair that is, no country-ism shown.

good ole inzi, but the ideas of the best batsman thread must be wearing thin, only so many times someone can challenge garry sobers, bradman richards etc!!

sorry...confused..

here r my 5 top batsman....
1. Ricky Ponting
2. Mohammad yousaf
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Brian Lara
5. Adam Gilchrist

langerrox said:
good ole inzi, but the ideas of the best batsman thread must be wearing thin, only so many times someone can challenge garry sobers, bradman richards etc!!
Well it's fair to some people who never seen those greats, including me, is'nt it but?

In my opinion, the top 5 batsman of all time, are:

1. Don Bradman
2. Barry Richards
3. Viv Richards
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Brian Lara

Well lets see here...Sachin Tendulkar has the most centuries in tests and ODI's (By a mile in ODI's). His average for both forms of the game is near the top in both categories. The number of times that he has single handedly carried the Indian team on his back...You can't count. Because Don Bradman never played an ODI, I can't put him as no.1 on my list, as for Brian Lara....Yes he is an exceptional batsman, but best ever? No way in hell! He has been inconsistent all throughout his career, accumilating huge scores, then going on to do f*** all in his next series of innings. Sachin has been a consistent preformer throughout his entire career...Yes he went through rough patches...But who doesn't?
Heres my list:

Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Don Bradman
Sir G. Sobers
Viv Richards
Sunil Gavaskar

I look at some peoples list...and wow, the homerness is not even funny...
I mean..Javed Miandad over Sachin *rolls eyes*

Sir Vivian Richards
Sir Donald Bradman
Sir Vivian Richards
Sir Garfield Sobers
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar

Users who are viewing this thread