Best 5 Batsmen ever

My best batsmen ever:
1) Sir Don Bradman
2) Sachin Tendulkar
3) Sir Viv Richards
4) Brian Lara
5) Ricky Ponting

Sman-21 said:
Heres my answer to Tendulkar being the best current batsmen.
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/rankings/content/page/211270.html

Also Ricky Ponting has a higher batting avg.
Sure Tendulkar is better technically.
But stats wise Ponting is the better batsmen.

Out of the players still playing.

Lara
Ponting
Tendulkar
Kaillis
Hussey

Ponting is the best batsmen currently, but overall in our modern era, Sachin is better then Ponting, Sachin has got a lot of records to his name, I can go on all day why Sachin is better then Ponting..........I believe mr Ponting can give you the answer to whose better Sachin or Ponting?....... he would say Sachin.

Remember history cannot take nothing away from Sachin

Ponting is in great form, and Sachin is in bad form.

Indiangod said:
I believe mr Ponting can give you the answer to whose better Sachin or Ponting?....... he would say Sachin.

Fair enough that it's true, but that is hardly proof. No batsman in World Cricket is such an arrogant player that they would say in an interview, "I am better than Sachin, or better than Lara, or better than Ponting." Fair enough through his career he is the better player, but as I said that is hardly the proof :rolleyes:

One factor in favor of Sachin is that he has faced better quality of bowling. Tendulkar made his debut in 1989 and has faced bowlers like Walsh, Ambrose, Waqar, Wasim, Donald (& SA attack in 90s), McGrath & Warne. Ponting has started scoring runs when the bowling strength is a bit suspect throughout the world. Other factors are as follows :-

Tendulkar hass faced & scored runs against Aus, which Ponting didn't have to do.

Tendulkar has scored runs against all the nations in all conditions, whereas Ponting averages around 10 in India.

Tendulkar has never benefited from a strong opening pair. Most of the times, India are down 2 wickets pretty early and Tendulkar & Dravid had to do the bulk of the scoring. Ponting has played in the team when Aus has one of the best opening pair in the history of the game. Surely, coming in at 60 odd for 1 is much better than coming in at 20 or 30 odd for 2!

Tendulkar has played for a team that traditionally had a weak bowling attack. Thus, the pressure on Tendulkar to score runs was more than on Ponting. Ponting knows that even if Aus puts up an iffy total on board, McGrath & Warne will be able to defend it. Tendulkar knows that unless he, and India, scores big, his team is in trouble.

puddleduck said:
Fair enough that it's true, but that is hardly proof. No batsman in World Cricket is such an arrogant player that they would say in an interview, "I am better than Sachin, or better than Lara, or better than Ponting." Fair enough through his career he is the better player, but as I said that is hardly the proof :rolleyes:

1. Don Bradman
2. Viv Richards
3. Brian Lara
4. Garfield Sobers
5. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Ricky Ponting

Sorry but 6 should be better.

Mahesh Babu said:
BrAdMaN
lArA
FlInToFf
aFrIdI
GaNgUlY
:eek:

What about likes of Hammond and Headley? Surely they were better than Ponting!

I dunno, Only posted the players I know :p.

If youre going to take those factors into consideration.
Then you will have to add these.
Tendulkar is also now facing the lesser bowlers and thats not increasing his average.
Australia play more games against higher ranked teams than India do.
Because of Australias dominance over the past few years, ponting normally only gets to bat once.
Meaning he only gets 1 opportunity per match to make a decent score.
Because of Australias dominance over the past few years, he wasn't required to make big scores so one could forgive him for not showing as much application as Tendulkar.

Remember there opinions everyone has a different one mine is that Tendulkar has the skills but is over rated due to the amount of cricket fans in India.

Looks like the 5th batsman is the only disagreemnt. For the most part everyone seems to agree on the four - Bradman, Richards, Tendulkar and Lara.

For those who dont know about Headley.

George Headly is described simply as the greatest West Indian batsman ever and one of the best in the world. Headly was 10 years old when he moved to Jamaica and first played for the West Indies against England during the first test of the 1929/30 series, the first to be played in the West Indies. He scored 703 runs at an average of 87.87 in his debut season. He became the first and youngest West Indian to score a test century, the first to score two centuries in the same test match, and the first to score three and four centuries before his 21st birthday.Headly, who became known as 'Atlas' for the way he carried the team, played 22 tests and scored 10 centuries with a top score of 270. His average of 60.834 is the best in West Indies cricket. George Headly was Wisden's Cricketer of the Year in 1934.

For those talking about rain effected pitches - Hobbs was prolly the best

Sman-21 said:
If youre going to take those factors into consideration.
Then you will have to add these.
Tendulkar is also now facing the lesser bowlers and thats not increasing his average.
Australia play more games against higher ranked teams than India do.

Ideotic statment cos Ponting would never have played a match against a team placed above his team.

Also Ponting in India hasnt done anything to show that he is the best guy around.Even at his peak he hasnt found answers to quality spin on helpful conditions.

Still Ponting is good and slowly moving towards greatness but as his purple patch would end he would be like Hayden who till 2 years back looked better than nay other guy around.Now his condition aint that good but he is still a good batsman.

Users who are viewing this thread