Best 5 Batsmen ever

stevie said:
Hardly enough to be classed as one of the best batsmen ever. I didn't mention anything about his form dip, he just shouldn't be in a top five of all time I'm afraid.

in first innings his average of 70 is better than most openers who played test cricket for some lenght of time in history of cricket and he has the best strike rate for a opener .if plays for any lenght of time most of cricketing record are going to be in his pocket

stevie said:
Hardly enough to be classed as one of the best batsmen ever. I didn't mention anything about his form dip, he just shouldn't be in a top five of all time I'm afraid.

Sehwag best batsman?

Hmmm..

Can I put up KP for best ODI batsman then? Alongside Viv as he equaled his record.

kush said:
]

Well you have 2 pakistan batsmen in your ODI best five (Anwar/Inzi). Is this not bias?
U r criticizing as if I've said "Rameez Raja" is the best batsman of alltime" or "Mohammad Sami is a better bowler than Malcom Marshall/Imran Khan/Ian Botham/Joel Garner/Curtley Ambrose/Richard Hadlee/Wasim Akram/Glen McGrath/Wawar Younis.Inzamam & Saeed,both are true living legends.They may not have been as good as Lara/Gavaskar/Richards in tests but In ODIs,I've hardly seen any better batsmen than them.

andrew_nixon said:
From dictionary.com
There you go, the defenition of bias. You will note that only two of my 5 are English. I note that you make no attempt to provide any evidence of bias, you just accuse me of it. I expect evidence in your next post to show that I haven't considered batsman from all countries.
Brian Lara,Viv Richards,Sunil Gavaskar,Ricky Ponting & Allan Border are/were much better batsmen than Barry Richards,Jack Hobbs & WG Grace & none of those legends is there in your list.

Last edited:
Shoaib87 said:
Brian Lara,Viv Richards,Sunil Gavaskar,Ricky Ponting & Allan Border are/were much better batsmen than Barry Richards,Jack Hobbs & WG Grace & none of those legends is there in your list.
I'm sorry, I thought you were going to show me evidence that I was being biased?

All you've done is said that you disagree with my opinion.

I think that those three players are better than the players you mentioned. How is that bias? Look at the definition I gave, and indicate how I was biased.

Brian Lara has said something very amusing.

On asked whom does he rank among the best he has said "Everyone have thier 15 minutes of fame but Sachin has been the best batsman for 15 years"

15 minutes of fame was pointed to Kallis and Ponting because he had mentioned them in the line just before this.

Now what say all you Sachin bashers ????????

I don't think many people consider Ponting and Kallis as better than Sachin. The comparison is always between Sachin and Lara.

andrew_nixon said:
I'm sorry, I thought you were going to show me evidence that I was being biased?

I think that those three players are better than the players you mentioned. How is that bias? Look at the definition I gave, and indicate how I was biased.

People seem to forget the effect of uncovered pitches aswell.

Sureshot said:
People seem to forget the effect of uncovered pitches aswell.
If u consider the uncovered pitches,then Rohan Kanhai ,Hanif Mohammad & Vinoo Mankad were much better players than those which Andrew mentioned.

Last edited:
Ponting will go down as one of the best batsmen Australia as ever produced, if Ponting continues to play like this for another 15 matches, then I think he will be beside Sachin and Lara as the best batsmen in our modern era, I think Ponting will take over Sachins records of the most hundreds in test cricket, and I think Ponting will take over Lara, as the most test run scorer in the history of the game.

Ponting is just in great form right now, but Sachin and Lara will be remembered for different reasons.

My top 5:

Tests

Bradman
Hobbs
Sachin
Hammond
Lara

Odis

Sachin
Viv-Richards
Bevan
Anwar
Lara

Last edited:
andrew_nixon said:

Didn't post anything because I think it would start a fight & bring bad breath in the forum,which I don't want.But try to tell yourself that why don't U rate some of the asian players as highly as some of the other fans do or as great as they were?

Here are my favourite batsmen ever,

1. Sir Don Bradman
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Sir Viv Richards
4. Sir Jack Hobbs
5. Brian Lara.

Best List By A Mile.

Shoaib87 said:
Didn't post anything because I think it would start a fight & bring bad breath in the forum,which I don't want.But try to tell yourself that why don't U rate some of the asian players as highly as some of the other fans do or as great as they were?

You don't like his opinion, deal with it.

EDIT: In other words you don't have a response. Also, you have the cheek to accuse Andrew of being biased when, having gone through many of your older posts, you clearly rate Asian/Pakistani players higher than those of other countries. Perhaps you should ask yourself the same question.

Last edited:
Shoaib87 said:
If u consider the uncovered pitches,then Rohan Kanhai ,Hanif Mohammad & Vinoo Mankad were much better players than those which Andrew mentioned.

Playing on the sunny uncovered sub continent pitches, or the uncovered English pitches.

Oh I have no idea which countries pitches were affected most.

stevie said:
You don't like his opinion, deal with it.

EDIT: In other words you don't have a response. Also, you have the cheek to accuse Andrew of being biased when, having gone through many of your older posts, you clearly rate Asian/Pakistani players higher than those of other countries. Perhaps you should ask yourself the same question.
I honestly didn't know that Don Bradman,Viv Richards,Allan Border,Rohan Kanhai & Steve Waugh were Asian/Pakistani players.

Users who are viewing this thread