Best 5 Batsmen ever

cricketexpert said:
buddy its called judging analytically and if you didn't read I put that after the top five.

But even in your list after the top 5, you still didn't give players like Bradman a mention. Bradman should be in any top 10. All you have to do is look at his stats, playing on uncovered pitches, a number of fantastic bowlers and yet he still averaged 99.94! No batsman would come close to anything like that nowadays.

I'm not going to select a top 5 as there are a number of batsman who deserve a mention and I can't judge how good they were as I have never really seen some of them play. Bradman is the exception though. People say stats don't tell the whole story, but surely, a test average of 99.94 on uncovered pitches is a reliable statistic.

cricketexpert said:
buddy its called judging analytically and if you didn't read I put that after the top five.
There is absolutely, categorically NOTHING analytical about your judgement here. Even if we are just talking about the top five you mentioned. Afridi, Anwer and Miandad among the best five batsmen ever???? I am the biggest Pakistan fan but even I would not make that list.

Last edited:
stevie said:
But even in your list after the top 5, you still didn't give players like Bradman a mention. Bradman should be in any top 10. All you have to do is look at his stats, playing on uncovered pitches, a number of fantastic bowlers and yet he still averaged 99.94! No batsman would come close to anything like that nowadays.

I'm not going to select a top 5 as there are a number of batsman who deserve a mention and I can't judge how good they were as I have never really seen some of them play. Bradman is the exception though. People say stats don't tell the whole story, but surely, a test average of 99.94 on uncovered pitches is a reliable statistic.

Ye I agree I should change it and add sober, richards in the top five!!!!!
MAybe I was just thinking good bastmens not the best

shahid6995 said:
There is absolutely, categorically NOTHING analytical about your judgement here. Even if we are just talking about the top five you mentioned. Afridi, Anwer and Miandad among the best five batsmen ever???? I am the biggest Pakistan fan but even I would not make that list.

I know I would include anwar and afiridi becuz of his fast hitting rates which you need and which makes the a batsmen great. Maindand had some amzing venets happening in his life when he had to hit a six to win against india once and on the last bowl he actaully hit one. He could contro anything, he got pakistan out of the worst stages ever!!!!!! from 150 runs down, etc. But you are right I would include sobers, richards, etc. in the top five.

cricketexpert said:
I know I would include anwar and afiridi becuz of his fast hitting rates which you need and which makes the a batsmen great. Maindand had some amzing venets happening in his life when he had to hit a six to win against india once and on the last bowl he actaully hit one. He could contro anything, he got pakistan out of the worst stages ever!!!!!! from 150 runs down, etc. But you are right I would include sobers, richards, etc. in the top five.

cricketexpert (maybe the name itself is sarcasm) how can you possibly justify putting afridi in the top 5 batsman EVER. we are talking about the history of world cricket and you put a guy like shahid afridi in their because had a "fast hitting rate". the guy has been proven to be entertaining (no doubt, i love watching him bat) but with the attention and control of a teenager. his only claim to fame is smashing a couple of really quick centuries. still not to grab a note from you (even in your 3rd posting) is the man who can lay claim to being the greatest batsman to have ever played the game, bradman. who faught off limited protection (no helmets), faced bodyline, and carried a country during times of the war and depression. the comparison is... in two words.... a joke

MWaugh said:
cricketexpert (maybe the name itself is sarcasm) how can you possibly justify putting afridi in the top 5 batsman EVER. we are talking about the history of world cricket and you put a guy like shahid afridi in their because had a "fast hitting rate". the guy has been proven to be entertaining (no doubt, i love watching him bat) but with the attention and control of a teenager. his only claim to fame is smashing a couple of really quick centuries. still not to grab a note from you (even in your 3rd posting) is the man who can lay claim to being the greatest batsman to have ever played the game, bradman. who faught off limited protection (no helmets), faced bodyline, and carried a country during times of the war and depression. the comparison is... in two words.... a joke

Cool down man,It is his opinion let it be so,
Bradman was the world greatest batsman no doubt,but cricketexpert is just expressing his opinion and I think after The centurie That Shahid Afridi hit againts india recently has given him a name and every body now thinks he is a world champoin which isnt the truth but people have the right to express their opinions and no one can force,

ronny_kingsley said:
Not a nice idea to compare players this way . It should have been from a period specified cos cricket has changed over the years and most of us havent seen the players of the past .They mi8 be gr8 but we havent seen their greatness .

Also Ganguly,Anwar ,Jayasrya will make it the list if its for ODI but they stand no chance for tests .So it wont be fair .

My post 1980 team

TESTS
Tendulkar
Dravid
Waugh
Lara
Border

ODI
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Anwar
Jayasurya
Inzamam

I dont Think saeed anwar neither Inzamam and some others were in any team in 1980?

fardin said:
Cool down man,It is his opinion let it be so,
Bradman was the world greatest batsman no doubt,but cricketexpert is just expressing his opinion and I think after The centurie That Shahid Afridi hit againts india recently has given him a name and every body now thinks he is a world champoin which isnt the truth but people have the right to express their opinions and no one can force,
QUOTE]

im quite cool. i have no problems with anyone expressing their opinions. im simply responding to it. whats wrong with that? i analysed what he said and stated my own opinions.

Rahul's ChainGang

Mine may be Different

1.Sir Don Bradman
2.Sachin
3.Ricky Ponting.
4.Brian Charles Lara
5.Rahul Dravis(The WALL)

My best 5!!!

In Test,

Rahul Dravid
Ricky Ponting
Jacques Kallis
Steve Waugh
Brian Lara

In Odis,

Sachin Tendulkar
Michael Bevan
Carl Hooper
N.Astle
Kumara Sangakara

My Best 5
In Tests

Inzmam
Ponting
Dravid
Lara
Steve Waugh

In ODI's

Ricky Ponting
Gilchrist
Jayasuriya
Inzmam
Lara

Ricky Ponting
Jacques Kallis
Barry Richards
Graeme Pollock
Viv Richards

I also would like to have Sachin Tendulkar in that list of players

Don Bradman
George Headley
Viv Richards
Jack Hobbs
Graeme Pollock
*WG Grace

^From my limited knowledge of them^

Last edited:
Tests:
Don Bradman
Brian Lara
Viv Richards
Sunil Gavaskar
Javed Miandad

ODIs:
Ricky Ponting
Saeed Anwar
Brian Lara
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Sachin Tendulkar

Last edited:
Just realised I have 3 West Indian batsmen. Looks biased but it aint.

They're the 5 that I rally rate along with Gavaskar, Tendaulker, Lara, and many others.

Surprised no-one else had Headley.

Users who are viewing this thread