Votes: 1 1.8%
  • West Indies : Brian Lara

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Zimbabwe : Tatenda Taibu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bangladesh : Habibul Bashar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
yeah i would not vote for ricky pointing for two reason's' the matche's i have seen sofar' was againts new zealand recently' where he made a big mistake' and jacob orams' 100' and i think ricky pointing should not even included in that poll'

sachinisgod said:
Fleming's the best captain but wonder who had such vivid imagination that they voted for Ponting...he's not even 1/10th of his predecessor and can be easily considered to lag far behind Fleming, Inzy and Ganguly...
I agree with that up to the point where you mention Ganguly

Ganguly is a really very poor captain. He:
1. Terribly fails to maintain pressure on any team.
2. Is very poor in field placing.
3. Can never do anything to make his team win in pressure situation.
4. Makes an attack made up of great players look like minnows.
5. Likes a sword and Sona Chandi Chyawanprash more than his bat.
6. There are teams like Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Kenya, ... and Windies, English are much weaker,... which make his record look better than legendary greats.

Punter is a great captain. He has made some brilliant decisons and makes his team come hard at opposition everytime. I think Tugga, Paaji and Imran Khan were still better but they've all retired.

I think Ganguly is the greatest Indian captain after the C.K. Nayudu and M.A.K Pataudi...
1) I donno when he has faltered in keeping pressure on the opposition. If his bowlers have let him down or batsmen have not performed then its a different thing but Ganguly easing the pressure on the opposition. You must be jokin.
2) He is not very imaginative in field placement and pretty crude in fielding, but there should be a bit of conventional in the Indian captain otherwise he won't last a series and this man has lasted 4 years.
3) I donnow how one can say that he cannot lift his team in pressure situation after Kolkata 2001, Brisbane 2003, Chennai 1st day 2nd session(tests), 3 odi victories in which India chased more than 300...and so many unachieved feats by the Indian team. If those came by without pressure then cricket is a pressure less game.
4) Its not his fault only when the great spin attack and talented fellas like Zaheer and Pathan bowl mediocre...
5) He may use anything Sona Chandi Chyavanprash, Hero Honda Bikes, or his restaurant food...but when you see a Saurav Ganguly cover drive or square cut, you know what beauty in cricket is all about.
6) you just put in that list to show that India has won against these teams in recent times. well West Indies were not as below par when India defeated them, Kenya was never a test side and Ganguly has played just 4 ODI's against them as captain, one test against Bangladesh and against Zimababwe - well they were a much better side then this present one when India defeated them in tests. England - well account for one thing how after the kiwis beat them in 1999 no team except the Indians and Aussies could manage to even square the series..but you forgot to mention him as the captain who has won 4 tests against the Aussies - more than any contemporary captain and of course an ODI series victory in Pakistan does not mean much to the Indians does it?

The most important thing and we tend to forget it very easily is that the man took over at probably the lowest ebb of Indian(for that matter World) cricket and inspired individuals who otherwise were discarded by the board to achieve greatness...whether he can command a patronage of the majority of his countrymen or not but it is for sure that he does command it from the 13 other Indians that count in the world of active cricket. Kapil was a great cricketer and hence could hit the 175*(the greatest one-day innings ever) and was very inspirational in 1983 but in 1987 his instincts was what caused India to lose the WC...Ganguly's instincts have been rarely wrong and has been proved endlessly by Bhajji, Nehra, Zaheer, Sehwag's batting positions, Laxman's shuffling, Pathan's inclusion in the team etc...He is going to be remembered as the best Indian captain ever statistically and otherwise...till of course someone betters him...

Fleming's the best coz he along with his instincts and inspirational qualities is very modern in outlook and implementation, Inzy's next coz of the same reasons as Ganguly(of course he is a much better bat)then Vaughan and then Ganguly...Punter may be good, he is a young test match captain and cannot be commented very well upon but whatever captaincy he has shown till now has been pretty much mediocre and perhaps the worst mistake was not throwing the ball to Katich or Clarke earlier in Mumbai, few before that in SL and one or two in Brisbane...one thing is for sure the pressure that the Aussies can build up is a result of the efforts of Border, Taylor and Waugh and them being an exceptionally talented side individually and exceptionally focussed too...it has more to do with these reasons than the present captain's grey cells...

Last edited:
i think people are forgetting vaughn, im not saying he is the best at all, felming for sure, but he desverse a mention he is engloandsd most succesful captain ever, and the 5 who voted for Ponting are probably all aussies!!

fardin said:
and i think ricky pointing should not even included in that poll'

Seeing that he is captain of a test nation, I'm pretty sure he should be included in the poll mate

sorry mate i did not realized that'

Indeed Fleming is a best captain, but past year the way Micheal Vaughan has led his team is quite remarkable. I voted for Micheal Vaughan

Mine is Australia : Ricky Ponting because he is very good captain he win every game whenever he is captain

i totally disagree about ponting, i think he is bad, he just has the worlds best players playing with him!

well will p i don't know if he just has the worlds best players playing with him but he's the best captaincy.

You only have to look at the Aussie performance in India with Ponting out. Ironically the one game he played in they lost. Teams of great individuals don't always need great captains; it's the teams of less substantial ability (think NZ) that need the great captains...

I voted for Ponting. I agree with barmyarmy that teams of lesser ability need the great captains but the converse (well not really the converse) is also true in that captains of successful nations will not be as greatly credited. For example if Kenya wins the next world cup, Steve Tikolo will be greatly heralded but if Australia does the same (as they did) then Punter's reputation will not be as greatly impacted.

It's all very comparative, sad to say. As for captaincy and all the qualities, I think your record is the best judge for that. Even if you have great players, you are not always going to succeed. The captain's job is to inspire those great players to do well and to make sure everyone is thinking in the same direction instead of overlapping each other.

Users who are viewing this thread