Best Commentator

Benaud or Atherton. Boycott just gets on my nerves.

"its a nothing shot. I didn't play nothing shots."

Yea Boycott is too critical. It may be funn occasionally, but nothing satisfies him. He believes everyone has to be perfect. Great cricketer...poor commentator

Holding I love his English Accent

Other then that I like Ian healy and Ian chapple.

JamesyJames3 said:
Yea Boycott is too critical. It may be funn occasionally, but nothing satisfies him. He believes everyone has to be perfect. Great cricketer...poor commentator

He's critical because that's accurate. When a batsman goes out playing a "nothing shot" he is harsh, because it is a foolish mistake. The batsman should be thinking the same way. It's not that he believes everyone must be perfect, but that they must be pursuing perfection. Both teams enter a match with a plan and silly mistakes have the dual effect of disrupting your own plan and aiding your opponent's plan. You can't ever let it go. Not until the match is over.

boycott? god i hate this guy, he is so biased to england it is not funny, bell almost gets caught at midwicket

boycott "marvelous shot by bell"

edge through slip
"great placement"

gRRR i hate him!

The entire ESPN star commentary team is great.

But i'll go for sidhu and boycott.

they fought so well in the box.

Sidhu is a nut! Talks about everything apart from Cricket.

Also I do not like Ian Chappell, because of his anti-English comments. Before the Ashes started, he said England wouldnt win a single Ashes test, and that Steve Harmison wouldnt make the Australian third team.

Has been silent ever since.

And I for one enjoy the Sky commentary team. (Note we dont get Channel 4 here, so all England matches, home and away, are of the Sky feed)

David Gower - Imo, the best commentator.
David Lyold - I think as good as boycott in many regards. This guy is a treat to listen to.
Paul Allot - Pretty good. Likes to start and win debates. I like to hear the war of words between Paul and Nasser.
Michael Holding - Excellent and unbiased views.
Nasser Hussain - I know he isnt very popular amongst the International viewers. But he talks the most sense, and gets it right on most occassions. Having been a player not so long ago, he knows exactly what is going on in the middle at that moment, and can predict what the captain, bowler and batsman are thinking.
Ian Botham - Criticises every possible mistake he sees in the game, but otherwise is a great commentator. One of my best.
Bob Willis - Gets really excited this guy. Was an excellent bowler in his days. Pro-England.

boycott the bloking man he likes gellespie cause of hes blocking

but i would have to say boycott is more boring than hes batting was i do like bill lawry kerry okeffe and riche benaud and mark taylor and mark nickholas

langerrox said:
boycott? god i hate this guy, he is so biased to england it is not funny, bell almost gets caught at midwicket

boycott "marvelous shot by bell"

edge through slip
"great placement"

gRRR i hate him!

He's so biased at times its funny, I remember the comment he made when Vaughan was bowled off the no-ball 'hard luck you Aussies!'. He does talk an awful lot of sense too.

I don't particularly mind if a comentator is biased, so long as they are up front about it and give the opposing team credit where it is due. Boof is a good example of this in his work with Sky, he still refers to the Aussies as 'we' and constantly elucidates his desire for them to be smashing teams but he still delivers essentially an objective analysis of the play as it unfolds.

There is nothing more frustrating however than a commentator attempting to convey a neutral standing whilst commentating in a biased manner through thinly veiled remarks about injustices to one side/good shot off an edge etc.

Suffice to say I enjoy Channel 4's coverage a tad more than I do Sky.

I would expect the commentators of a channel to be biased based upon the nationality of that channel. Geoff Boycott is a good example of this. He commentates for Channel 4, an English channel, so I would expect him to be heavly biased towards England, as he is.

Boof commentated for Sky during the NatWest Series and the NatWest Challenge, and he gave England credit where they deserved it but also referred to the Aussies as 'we'.

I prefer commentators who give the opposistion credit where it is deserved but still are biased towards their country. I would like more commentators like Boof than Geoff Boycott!

Users who are viewing this thread