Best No.3 Test Batsman(Dravid or Amla or Ponting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

formula1man

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Why even bother asking. Ponting would be close to the best batsman of all time not just number 3. There aren't actually many quality number 3s around at the moment. Ive noticed most teams coming to Australia lately have really random number 3's.

stereotype

Club Cricketer
I agree, your number 3 should be your best all round batsman. Australia have had 3 of the best of all time in Bradman, Ponting and Greg Chappell.

Guys like Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Hashim Amla etc are 3's that aren't even close to being the best batsman in their team. Poor selections imo.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Amla is #3 for a reason and that is to take pressure of Kallis and Amla has done a wonderful job over the past few years. Done a little better then Ponting at that position in the last 3 years.
At this moment Sangakkara is the best #3.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
LMAO Amla??? Seriously??? :doh

As with the comparisons before, Ponting's ODI record >>> Dravid's, so without a doubt it's Ponting.

First off: Thread title - TEST No3.
2 - In the latter half of his career Dravid, in the ODI form, rarely played in the number 3 position. He played at 4/5 and played the role of the finisher. He also donned the gloves for a bit too.

stereotype

Club Cricketer
Amla has improved although if we compare overall Amla over the last 3 years doesn't even equal Ponting and his career record which is a batting average of over 60 at 3 and that is at a strike rate of 60 compared to Amla with a career average of 44.50 with barely 50 strike rate. Only because Ponting has had a lean trot can Amla be compared on a short term scale.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Amla has improved although if we compare overall Amla over the last 3 years doesn't even equal Ponting and his career record which is a batting average of over 60 at 3 and that is at a strike rate of 60 compared to Amla with a career average of 44.50 with barely 50 strike rate. Only because Ponting has had a lean trot can Amla be compared on a short term scale.

Well that's when Amla started playing at #3 (actually in 06) and Ponting is better since 06. Amla is #3 on that list since 2006 behind Punter and Sanga.
Sanga has been brilliant at #3.

stereotype

Club Cricketer
This innings may turn Amla around, prior to that to me he wasted a lot of his good form and to me all it would take is one form slump and he would be out of the team, his form has been better than Ponting since the start of 2007 but for all that great form he has only one extra hundred than Ponting since the start of 2007.

If he wants to end up as good as a Ricky Ponting, Kumar Sangakarra or Rahul Dravid by the end of his career he needs to convert more of his starts into big scores.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
What a stupid comparison thread.
Ponting is the best batsmen of the current era, along with Tendulkar...
Dravid is great, but he is no where near Ponting.
And then Amla doesn't even deserve to be next to the name Ponting.

hacker

Club Cricketer
This is a Joke comparison. you can't compare amla with dravid or Ponting or even sangakkara.:eek: he is just score his maiden double ton. and look at the other players Dravid and ponting have 5 double tons and sanga hv 6. at the moment i ll go with ponting and sanga.

hacker

Club Cricketer
If he wants to end up as good as a Ricky Ponting, Kumar Sangakarra or Rahul Dravid by the end of his career he needs to convert more of his starts into big scores.

Agreed:D

hacker added 12 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

iTz better to compare Ponting, Sangakkara and Dravid. instead of This:D

stereotype

Club Cricketer
A lot harder though because they are very close. I am biased probably but I would take Ricky first because he averages 60 with the bat, scores his runs fast and he traditionally fires early on when the series is on the line. After that I think I would get a headache comparing Dravid and Sangakarra both are rare talents and both are among my favourite cricketers.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
This guy makes the dumbest threads. Alan Davidson, imo. But only if there are powerplays in test cricket :facepalm

Amla is definitely not in the race. Dravid is undoubtedly great, but I don't think he rivals Ponting, in that Ponting has that ability to take a game away from a team, all on his own.

Dravid can't really take control of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread