BLIC 07 Preview

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I was bored, so I wrote this preview, it incorperates much information about the game into it + some reasons why BLIC 07 may not live up to the hype.

BLIC 07, the next Pro Evo? Or the next sub par cricket game?

Cricket gaming fans are unlucky people, year after year; they have to deal with poor graphics, terrible gameplay and customer support worse than a wooden chair in the waiting room?In my opinion, when March 2007 rolls in, cricket gaming fans will no longer have to deal with that?enter Codemasters Brian Lara International Cricket 2007.

The graphics has shown both positives and negatives. The negatives are that the game has nowhere near the amount of shading or lighting effects that EA have, hence the game still looks very cartoony and lacks the polygon count that e.g. the Smackdown series has. The positives are that the graphics are extremely high definition and it seems the artists behind the game have put much effort into pushing all their resources to the limit.
GRAPHICS SO FAR: 8/10 because of lack of licensing

The gameplay promises many things that ruined the realism of BLIC. Stumpings have been promised for the first time in a codemasters produced cricket game (other than autoplay in Brian Lara Cricket) as well as advancing down the wicket. Stumpings have been made slow and sluggish by EA and hopefully Codemasters can include fumbles, subtle stumpings and regulation stumpings for a complete gaming experience.

The 30mph deliveries bowled by fast bowlers are said to be no more and I hope that this is true because this ruined BLIC, the AI is said to be improved but this cannot be appreciated or tested until the game releases.

Sadly, Planetcricket?s visit to Codemasters Studio told of negatives too. Apparently, nothing has been done to rectify the eight-way directional path of shots without use of the difficult (for me, not Stevie ;) ) analogue stick system.

But Codemasters are never short of suggestions as they have brought in John Crawley, Shaun Udal and Jonathon Agnew (to name a few) to help them with production of the game, and I am sure any fixable bugs will be fixed either; by BETA release in January 2007 or full release in March 2007.

BLIC 07 is built off the previous version which does not mean that it is re-hashed or an update but that (hopefully) it will build off the many positives of BLIC?the yorker animation; the unique paces for bowlers, intriguing ways batsman get hit on the body and the fantastic (though limited) catching system. Speaking of which, a reflex slip catching system has been implemented to add to this system. This could go very well and be extremely fun OR could slow play significantly and be tedious, and we don?t want that do we?!
GAMEPLAY promises: 6 to 10/10 because of potential of disaster from lack of stamina bar for bowlers slip catching system.

The customer support on Codemasters part has been fantastic. Their forums are efficient, well represented if not slightly low on coding. They are providing information for the game well before release, showing that the game is being made well before the release; with excess time used to fix bugs and that they care about the anticipation of the fans. The community liaison appears on many forums, no matter how pitiful, and gives great insight into the making of the game.
Customer support: 10/10

10/10 for effort for Codemasters but BLIC had massive problems in it merely in the fundamentals of the game, such as the pace of the bowlers. What new bugs face us this time? Will we be able to access stats from the end of an over and will Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh let someone else open the bowling and bowl the first 80 overs, only time will tell...

Overall Anticipation: 9/10 but nothing can be sure with the game ruining bugs in BLIC 05

Last edited:

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
manee said:
Sadly, Planetcricket?s visit to Codemasters Studio told of negatives too. Apparently, nothing has been done to rectify the eight-way directional path of shots without use of the extremely hard analogue stick system.

Erm, what was hard about it apart from having to buy a controller for the PC? ;) All you have to do is push the stick in a certain direction and time the ball.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
The post will be edited:

I play on ps2 and find the analogue stick thing extremely hard...

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
manee said:
The post will be edited:

I play on ps2 and find the analogue stick thing extremely hard...

What did you find hard about it though? I had it on PS2 aswell and thought it was a great feature!

But anyway, good effort considering you were bored!

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Well I just got an adapter for my PC so I can use my PS2 controller and I dont have any difficulty using the analogue stick. Granted it is easier to score with keys but mainly because the ball always goes between 2 fielders.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Kev said:
Well I just got an adapter for my PC so I can use my PS2 controller and I dont have any difficulty using the analogue stick. Granted it is easier to score with keys but mainly because the ball always goes between 2 fielders.
How much did that adapter set you back? I might end up doing the same for BLIC 07, or even for that EA game if I decide to get it.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
He said in the superthread that he spent a ?10er on it. Matt (evertonfan) picked one up for ?3 (read stole off the back of a van). So anywhere between stolen and ?10 you should be able to get one :)

Also another voice saying the Analogue control is without doubt an excellent feature. I don't really understand how anyone could find it a lot harder to get used to. Fair enough I thought the N64's joystick was extremely bizarre for all of about 10 minutes, but after that analogue sticks have always felt far more natural, not to mention far less demanding on the thumb, than a D-pad.

Last edited:

fanirama

Associate Cricketer
I will buy BLIC 2K7 if the below are true -

1. No Starforce protection on the DVD
2. Properly implemented advanced shots and sweep
3. Ability to skip bowling and simulate parts of game
4. Ability to save at any point in the game ( at over end is fine )
5. Ability to mod easily

Else, forget BLIC 2K7

manee

Chairman of Selectors
There will be starforce protection as it had been said by codemasters before.

C'mon, what do you think of the article?

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Seems fine but realy you aren't saying anything that most people won't already know. As I said in my edited post, I couldn't disagree more about your analogue stick comments. Get used to it instead of saying it's a bad feature ;) Afterall thinking the world is flat was an excellent idea until proven otherwise :p

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Hmm...I will try it, but you must agree that shots "should" go in more than eight directions even with the D-pad depending on timing and where the ball is pitched.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
fanirama said:
I will buy BLIC 2K7 if the below are true -

1. No Starforce protection on the DVD
2. Properly implemented advanced shots and sweep
3. Ability to skip bowling and simulate parts of game
4. Ability to save at any point in the game ( at over end is fine )
5. Ability to mod easily

Else, forget BLIC 2K7
2 and 3 are supposedly in there. 4 was there in the last version. 1 and 5 seems unlikely though.

manee said:
Hmm...I will try it, but you must agree that shots "should" go in more than eight directions even with the D-pad depending on timing and where the ball is pitched.
I prefer it this way where you can control where it goes. Maybe the controller shouldn't be as accurate for a lower rated batsman.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Maybe, but why not use an analogue stick and the ball goes where you aim it if you time it well? I think the fact that Blic introduced that aspect of the game is one of the main reasons Ea have taken the new "century stick" approach to give people actual control over where the ball goes. Just because I play a cover drive doesn't mean I can't close or open the face slightly to direct it through a gap does it?

One great part of it was that the computer never had an extra cover (not the good part obviously) so when I played my mate he stuck an extra-cover in and it took me almost 20 overs to actually consistently put it through cover instead of almost always instinctively through extra-cover.

It allows you as the fielding team to set a field for the batsmans favoured areas, instead of the game deciding where the ball goes.

Anyway - good effort and nice presentation with the article, and everything is fine except saying that the Analogue isn't a good idea ;)

Last edited:

manee

Chairman of Selectors
I think the outfield speed should be slower too, to allow more quick singles to fielders and twos to fielders on the boundary. I think that the new catching system should not change camera view to behind the player, but rather keep it as normal.

Users who are viewing this thread