Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia) Dec-Jan 2011/12

Well, you are accusing me of being biased towards Ashwin when I am not. That Sydney pitch had nothing in it for the bowlers after that first day. Even that first day towards the end, only the new ball had some impact and after it passed off, Australia started scoring from Day 1 itself. We saw how India notched up 400 runs in the 2nd innings and how the Aussie bowlers found it tough in the 2nd innings (their huge lead gave them the cushion to beat India comfortably by an innings). Ashwin has not bowled greatly, but he has not bowled badly too. Its just that he has not found proper support from the other end and probably his captain is not giving him the proper fields. But still, Ashwin has bowled good containing spells. And he is learning and this is his first tour overseas with the test team (and his second test series after a brilliant start against WI). And considering that he is the 2nd highest scorer for India after Sachin, that should keep him in the team. Yes his batting is a bonus only, but in this tour that bonus is consistently coming in good chunks and is good for the team.

Kumble had poor records overseas at the start of his career. It was in 2002-03 period that Kumble started reversing his overseas record. Till then, he was primarily a home bully who would pick buckets of wickets at home but overseas he was below par. For Ashwin, this is just his second series and he hasn't been bad enough for a drop in place from the team.

Well, you are accusing me of being biased towards Ashwin when I am not. That Sydney pitch had nothing in it for the bowlers after that first day. Even that first day towards the end, only the new ball had some impact and after it passed off, Australia started scoring from Day 1 itself. We saw how India notched up 400 runs in the 2nd innings and how the Aussie bowlers found it tough in the 2nd innings (their huge lead gave them the cushion to beat India comfortably by an innings). Ashwin has not bowled greatly, but he has not bowled badly too. Its just that he has not found proper support from the other end and probably his captain is not giving him the proper fields. But still, Ashwin has bowled good containing spells. And he is learning and this is his first tour overseas with the test team (and his second test series after a brilliant start against WI). And considering that he is the 2nd highest scorer for India after Sachin, that should keep him in the team. Yes his batting is a bonus only, but in this tour that bonus is consistently coming in good chunks and is good for the team.

Kumble had poor records overseas at the start of his career. It was in 2002-03 period that Kumble started reversing his overseas record. Till then, he was primarily a home bully who would pick buckets of wickets at home but overseas he was below par. For Ashwin, this is just his second series and he hasn't been bad enough for a drop in place from the team.

The ball which got Sachin out by michael clark turned 4.5 Degree from middle, so saying it pitch didn't had anything for spinner is just ridiculous.
The thing is that Ashwin doesn't have mindset of test bowler. He doesn't know what his role is. (to stop runs or to take wickets) and for this some blame should be given to Dhoni for setting field for bad balls.

I clearly remember 3-4 months back i posted one comment in which i said

Dhoni is not setting the correct fields for Harbhajan and thats why Harbhajan is not taking wickets, and you or someone else commented that Harbhajan is setting defensive fields for his own bowling by himself as he is experienced bowler.

I like Ashwin kind of cricketer who are hard working and competitive but he needs to deliver in overseas condition with bowl otherwise he will not be in the team for long. we have atleast 7-8 spinners in India who can pick 15-20 wickets in a home series.
Harbhajan Singh was dropped due to his poor record in overseas condition and Ashwin has 2 more test matches to prove himself otherwise he will find tough to hold his position in Indian TEST team which is losing.

Ideally ojha should have been given chance ahead of ashwin but due to poor performance by top 7 batsman, india needs runs some runs from No.8 batsman. :facepalm

Last edited:
Harbhajan was already a very senior bowler at that time and Dhoni was not as experienced captain as he is now... And I was watching that game and saw Harbhajan mostly gesturing his field settings to Dhoni. But here, Dhoni is far more experienced in captaincy and Ashwin is just playing his 5th test. So Dhoni setting his field for Ashwin is highly possible (though I didnt exactly follow the Aussie innings live coz I couldnt withstand it:D).

The ball Clarke bowled to Sachin was no great turn. Of course some turn was always there, but not the kind of turn to beat good batsman. That wicket was completely due to Sachin's inability to clear his mind when he is reaching an important milestone. He made Clarke's delivery look like a great one with his tentative defensive prod. I still feel Ashwin will do well if he is given enough chances. In the first series he played, he got 22 wkts. He has played only 2 tests overseas (now dont say Kohli; he has played 5-6 tests overseas now and failed even against WI). In Perth anyways, Ashwin should continue playing. If at all Ojha comes in, it should be for Adelaide but that too at the expense of a fast bowler (probably Zaheer if India loses/draws at Perth, or Umesh Yadav if India win at Perth).

3rd test preview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perth test is reminding me of poor Chris Rogers, who got just 1 opportunity which was on a bowling paradise:facepalm can anyone explain why he didnt get more chances??
Probably because he is a ranga. :D

Nah, always have love for any West Australians. But unfortunately his prime he was trying to break into the opening partnership of Langer and Hayden. By the time they retired he was probably too old to be looked at (even though he was only just over 30... like Jaques).

There is a reason why there are no tigers left in existence on the Australian continent you know..

80464884.jpg

If at all Ojha comes in, it should be for Adelaide but that too at the expense of a fast bowler (probably Zaheer if India loses/draws at Perth, or Umesh Yadav if India win at Perth).

Ishant Sharma should be dropped.When does he ever get any good wickets these days and his bowling average is also 36.80 which is high for a quick bowler.Yadav is inexperienced but can get wickets at times and if Zaheer is dropped then thats that for India........
The selectors could have taken Irfan Pathan in the squad.Its a risky thing but could have been done.I can't understand why they picked Rahane in the squad.He will never get a match in the Tests.:facepalm

Rahane is the backup opener in case Sehwag or Gambhir get injured. They have got injured before in overseas tours, so he is the backup guy.

Reading between the lines, since we haven't named our 11 like we usually do, I have a feeling we are going in with 4 pacemen.

Whats with the beer party controversy now? 18 people were found on the pitch few hours ago drinking beer and scratching the pitch surface bare foot. Rajiv Shukla BCCI member has asked CA to look into the matter

Yeah saw this and it's pretty silly of the groundstaff. I understand they were in barefeet though and were only on the pitch for a few minutes - so there's obviously nothing malicious in it.

In fact, the Indian team should be happy the pitch was uncovered a bit longer :p

Of course the big call this morning is Lyon vs Starc. I think you all know I don't like 4 fast men - sure it worked last summer vs England, but the 4th fast bowler was barely needed. Siddle bowled only 13 overs out of 100. That's the thing with 4 quicks - if the pitch is green enough, you won't need all 4, and if it isn't juicy enough you'll want a spinner.

----------

Oh forgot to add - I'd probably play Starc AND Lyon. Give Siddle a rest. One reason being that Starc will love the WACA breeze, just like Mitch Johnson has in the past.

I hope it's a green pitch. It actually levels the playing field. It's obvious that the Australian bowling attack is superior but a green pitch will mean that the Indian bowling attack will not look as feeble.

It's obvious that the Australian bowling attack is superior but a green pitch will mean that the Indian bowling attack will not look as feeble.

I still don't think bowling is a worry for India. The only problem is batting.

Users who are viewing this thread