Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia) Dec-Jan 2011/12

Pup what a machine brings up his third 50 of the day :)
Hussey stay on strike now, Clarke is needed for tomorrow.

400 looks to be gettable here for Clarke, the way he has gone today. Well played!

400 looks to be gettable here for Clarke, the way he has gone today. Well played!
Thats correct. Clarke scoring 200 in a days play is huge... A while back 200 in a day was good going for a whole team to score in a day. Ponting, and especially Clarke and Hussey both batted very fast keeping pressure on all India's bowlers.

If Australia don't lose any early wickets tomorrow it could be another very long day in the field for the Indians.

Clarke looked like death though after batting that whole day out... Big day for him.

To bring up the triple, Clarke effectively has to start from scratch tomorrow morning and make a half century. In good batting conditions (ie drawn Tests), he passes 50 in around 40% of starts - but after today's (and yesterday's) exertions he'll be pretty ragged. I'd say he's at best a 30% chance of reaching 300.

But if he did get that far, going by his excellent conversion rates in good batting conditions, he'd probably have about a 60% chance of reaching 350 and a 30% chance of eventually passing Lara. So: fingers crossed!

God, how good are this India side at Test Matches? #1 in the world!!

Last edited:
Asking for a 400 is too much to be frank. It isn't easy to smash a 400, he'd need to come to the crease rebuild his concentration which isn't easy, they are also looking for quick runs and so he can easily get out while going for a big shot. He can easily get a 300 though and then maybe look for a declaration, make India play as many overs as possible. I've no idea about the weather forecast for the next three days but if there are any chances of rain, Clarke might wanna declare as soon as they get the lead of 350 or 400.

as much as i want Clarke to get 400, i dont think batsman these days quite have the focus and fitness to last that long.
I was literally looking at that just an hour or two ago. Only six or so double hundreds have been this year with the highest score, 294, coming from Ali Cook. You're totally right, no batsman has the concentration to last that long anymore.

More to the point, a great day for India in the field today puts them in a great position. :rolleyes

Brilliant batting, Clarkie!

Channel Nine commentators spoke of Clarke getting to 300. Without being so derogative, I really doubt he will. He's not only got to negotiate seven more runs to only get to 230 (point being that every Test run is hard to get), but he would surely declare by that time. India did get bowled out rather quickly and cheaply in the first innings, but Clarke's still got to be wary that this India line-up can bat for days on end.

On one hand I am feeling sad about our bowling being ineffective but on the other hand I am happy as I have selected Michael Clarke as captain in my Fantasy team :D

as much as i want Clarke to get 400, i dont think batsman these days quite have the focus and fitness to last that long.

I was wondering about that too. For what it's worth, the statistics tend to agree although they don't provide a particularly ringing endorsement.

Between 1990 and 2005, a batsman who reached their double had a 28% chance of reaching 250 and then similar-but-slightly-elevated odds of kicking on from that point to reach 300. Since 2005, it appears the odds have gotten slightly worse, with 25% converting from the double to 250 and again, similar-but-slightly elevated odds of going on from that point to the triple.

Of course, batting conditions since 2005 have been much easier than those during the period 1990-2005. You could perhaps hazard a guess that a 1990s double centurion would have a far better chance of converting to 250 than the 25% success rate achieved by their less disciplined successors. But it's not a big difference.

The main takeaway here is that a double centurion is as likely to make fifty runs as a (top six) batsman who is facing his first ball. I'd guess this is probably because the advantages of being "set" are entirely balanced out by the disadvantages of getting tired and losing focus.

In short: 70% odds of Clarke getting out before the triple.

Clarke batted like a genius today, hats off to him. I expect a triple from him tomorrow. Well done, Pup!

I was literally looking at that just an hour or two ago. Only six or so double hundreds have been this year with the highest score, 294, coming from Ali Cook. You're totally right, no batsman has the concentration to last that long anymore.

Historically you'd expect to see one triple century for every twelve double centuries, so the fact that someone has almost reached the triple from a sample size of just six doubles is actually pretty good!

Historically you'd expect to see one triple century for every twelve double centuries, so the fact that someone has almost reached the triple from a sample size of just six doubles is actually pretty good!
I have a slight suspicion I'm detecting sarcasm in the post you quoted mate. :D

Aboslutely loving Ponting getting his first century in what seems like an eternity but Clarke's innings was a dleight to watch. One of his best so far for sure. The only way I can see him getting out is if he plays a stupid shot because the Indian bowling attack is looking impotent....again.

Users who are viewing this thread