Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia) Dec-Jan 2011/12

India can keep bowling wides to an off-side field all they like. Australia aren't there to make more runs, they're there to occupy the crease while it bakes and cracks under the summer sun. Dhoni is playing into their hands.

IMO Clarke is already world class when he plays at number five. He clearly struggles playing further up the order, but he's a different man when he's plundering spin bowlers. Averages 58.92 at the position.

Indian fan
1234931504682.jpg

Australian fan
1254172884282.jpg

Is this a residual effect of having captained so many games on slow pitches and ODI cricket? Or is this just bad captaincy? Is it Dhoni's job to come up with plans and settings, or is it the coaches job to create and Dhoni's to instigate? Basically, does Dhoni have the correct support network around him like Vaughan-Fletcher, Strauss-Flower, Dhoni-Kirsten, or even Fleming-Wright?

That 2nd session yesterday where Kohli, Sehwag and Ashwin bowled for 25 overs before the new ball stunk of Duncan Fletcher type thinking, especially when it happened straight after a break. This is the thing - if Dhoni's captaincy is so bad, then it's Fletcher's job to correct and advise, but he doesn't seem to be making any difference, so you have to assume that Fletcher is either going along with Dhoni's defensive ploys, or Fletcher is setting the tactics and Dhoni's just following.

For what it's worth, I think the defensive tactics worked OK this morning. Clarke seemed a bit frustrated that he couldn't tick the board over very well, but thankfully he didn't do anything stupid :p

Yeah, Sharma bowled well this morning - that's why I didn't notice the speeds! This Indian attack has excellent raw tools, and with good captaincy and coaching they'd absolutely thrive. No guarantees that'll ever happen with the Indian setup, but if it does then people will one day look back on Clarke's innings and think it was even better than it really was.

Well I'm an unashamed Clarke fanboy, but I don't think India have bowled particularly badly. Some of the tactics seem a little odd - Zaheer doesn't seem to know which side of the wicket to bowl from, but generally it's been better batting than poor bowling in my eyes.

Ishant bowled a couple of very good, straight overs at Clarke this morning - beat the edge at least once, and then Dhoni took him off!! There just doesn't seem to be a sustained plan. And what's Yadav doing?? He's bowled 7 overs in the last 3 sessions - yes that's not a mistake....he'd bowled 14 overs before lunch yesterday, he's on 21 overs now.

Well played Clarke. Good to see the hard work he's put into his fitness paying off with a big, long innings.

Really well supported by Punter and Hussey as well.

If you're Clarke and you've just reached 300, do you now start to trying to cut loose and see if 400 is on? Or does he just carry on as he is, and look for an hours bowling this evening?

Reminds me of the glory days of the late '90s, early '00s...

Australia bowled more maidens than India have. That's pathetic.

Great innings from Clarke, Ponting and Hussey, although I will say it's about time there were some great partnerships from Clarke and Ponting.

Anyone think this could be the innings Clarke needs? A really big knock against a decent bowling attack as captain where it is him that is supported by the big guns of Ponting and Hussey. Is this the innings where Clarke really takes charge of this, or rather his, Australia team?

Or is this just the right pitch with the right attack for Clarke to cash in?

This might just be the last few games of cricket that I watch in my life. Ridiculous stuff from the Indians.

Pretty certain if he does this, he'll be past 400 anyway.

Yeah, clearly the 300 was the landmark he was making sure he ticked off. Seems happy to go after a few more deliveries now with a bit more aggression.

Has been perfect batting today. Made sure India didn't really get anything in the morning, and then lay into them when the inevitable malaise starts and they start to drift through.

If Pattinson get's 10fer who get's man of match?
Shaun Marsh :spy

I think that Clarke should keep batting until him, Hussey and maybe Haddin get out. I think the Australian bowlers are capable of giving us an Innings victory.

Users who are viewing this thread