Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia) Dec-Jan 2011/12

Would be a nice nod to history if Clarke declared on 334* alongside Taylor and the Don.

That said, with the time left I see no reason not to try and keep scoring at a decent rate and give India an hour to look forward to this evening with the quicks storming in. The 400 is definitely on if he's still there with an hour left in the day.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who does not want Clarke scoring 400 :rolleyes He has done nothing worthwhile in cricket to be the highest run getter in test cricket. Hussey/Ponting I would not have had a problem. Clarke having a world record is equivalent to Kohli having one. Both are spoiled cricketers

Not sure I agree with the declaration...

Excellent decision from Clarke in terms of winning this match. Declaring an hour before play would have been obvious, now the Indian openers have just 10 minutes to get themselves set.

Terrible decision from Clarke in my opinion. We could have easily batted out the day and still won, and from memory Hussey has never gotten a double ton, so why take away the oppurtunity?

That was a surprising and a bit random declaration. Actually, he probably waited until Hussey reached 150.

Real declaration of intent from Clarke that the team is more important himself. Letting Hussey get his 150 and now India have got half a day to bat out even before the possibility of rain coming in to ruin tomorrow.

Real declaration of intent from Clarke that the team is more important himself. Letting Hussey get his 150 and now India have got half a day to bat out even before the possibility of rain coming in to ruin tomorrow.

Hussey could have gone on to get his personal best and first double century (a big thing seeing as retirement can't be too far away for him).
And it might be cynical and is a pretty baseless conclusion but it seems to me the sort of decision made to prove a point, sort of Clarkes way of saying "Look, I can play to win a match and not break a record" and I think it would be better for him to get close to breaking the record than win the match in some ways.

Sehwag has almost scored 300 in a day, if he does that then India could have a 150 run lead somewhere in Day 5 and we would be chasing that on a last day wicket and that top order has been all over the shop.

Now the attention can turn to Tendulkar's 100th 100...

Users who are viewing this thread