Bowlers not bowling fast

tbh both Wasim Akram and Allan Donald are examples of bowlers who slowed down for a significant portion of their careers.

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned pitches and the fact that they have become flatter all over the world. Perth isn't as fast as it used to be, in fact most Aussie pitches are fairly slow and dull...the same goes for a lot of pitches here in England. South Africa has some decent fast bowler's pitches which is why we've seen the likes of Steyn and Morkel bowl 90+.

Wahab Riaz while in England was bowling at 150 on numerous occasions but he lacked the overall quality of of control and line, which coupled with dry, batsmen friendly pitches meant he got hit around the park. So that's the problem, or at least the major issue here, pitches have become flatter and bowler's have to adapt to that, they have to bowl on a line and a length to see some rewards. The art of the yorker is also limited, so it's rare to see a 90+mph in-swinging yorker up rooting stumps these days.

There are a tonne of 85+ bowlers out there, all of whom are good and some verging on being great but the age of the beast is gone, I doubt we'll see another Waqar, Akhtar, Akram, Donald, Lee for a long time yet.

New Zealand also produces fast pitches.

161 kmph - Brett Lee FASTEST ball ever! - YouTube

This was a very fast over from Lee.

An error on my part, NZ still produces some bowler friendly pitches which are quite fast and the weather conditions there also help.

Oh and Lee didn't bowl the fastest ball ever :D

----------

tbh both Wasim Akram and Allan Donald are examples of bowlers who slowed down for a significant portion of their careers.

Both were bowling 90+ close to their thirties, Akram did so by the mid-90s when he was around 30. Nowadays you have bowlers reaching 25-26 and bang, they drop their pace because they are so fickle, so injury prone. I know fast bowlers have always had injuries but come on, look at Pattinson, Finn, a number of Indian bowlers, Gul and so on.

Cricket schedule is not helping them either.. fast bowling is the toughest job in cricket and bowlers need rest but they are not getting it because of packed schedule..

Most of the fast bowlers' career get wasted by playing domestic cricket , a fast bowler dhould only play domestic cricket for 2 years maximum .

Those were my favourite days watching cricket we were so lucky to have been able to witness Shoaib, Bond and Lee at the same time. I think there are numerous factors that all count against someone bowling that fast in this era. I'm surprised no one has brought up how important no-ball rule changes are these days as well, both Shoaib and Lee had really bad no ball problems, and with free hits you can't really afford to have a bowler bowling even 1-2 no balls in a spell in limited overs cricket.

----------

Not anymore those days are long gone, when the pitches had a bit of bounce in them. Our pitches now are probably almost as flat as ones you'd find in India. Broad and Finn could barely get their short balls bouncing over waist height in the series here in March. So its no surprise that we are producing quite a lot of skiddy swing bowlers (Boult, Wagner etc.) atm.

No Shoaib Akhtar has the fastest ball ever bowled on the gun i think it was at one of the world cups 2003 i think.

Most people in the cricketing circles say Thomo was quicker than Lee and Akhtar back in the day when they had no speed guns.

Michael Holding and Thomo were up there too.

I remember the 2005 ashes series Flintoff was up around 155km/h quite often.That would have been so much harder to face than 160km/h skiddy bowling actions of Lee,Bond and Akthar.

There's a guy named Shaun Tait too who bowled 155+ Kmph if I am not wrong. it was in the ODIs vs England.

You guys may not believe it but Siddle used to get over 150k. I remember being at the MCG watching him hit up to 155. Probably too much stress on his back and he's a better bowler now anyway.

You guys may not believe it but Siddle used to get over 150k. I remember being at the MCG watching him hit up to 155. Probably too much stress on his back and he's a better bowler now anyway.

Remember him topping 150mph consistently in his early days.

Users who are viewing this thread