Bowling Guide!

kamyFC

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@kamyFC

A couple of tips for you in regards to spin bowling.

Reduce drift to zero or just 1 or 2 attributes above zero for the spin bowlers you use regularly. The reason for this being that the drift is exaggerated and as a result over-powers the turn slightly. Even set to zero you can still get the ball to drift by selecting the drift deliveries and also by shining the ball. Once you get used to bowling with these settings you can have a go at setting drift differently for different bowlers to make them individual and give you different options even if they are the same type of bowler.

The ball won't always turn sharply but every now and then one will. This is a feature of DBC I personally really like.

Look to pitch the ball on any features the pitch may have, such as worn areas and on cracks, if you hit these areas you will see some extra deviation. Depending on where these areas are located will dictate from which end and also from which side of the wicket you should bowl. This also applies to seam bowling.

Thanks i went to settings and set the drift to 0 for both my leg spinners - Rahul Sharma and Ajanta Mendis.
I could see little bit of turn. But i was playing on a grassy pitch against Scotland.

Next game is at home in a Crumbly pitch. Maybe i will notice a difference.
Will keep ya'll posted.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I don't choose 'seam' (L stick up to 12 o'clock) much cos I reckon it doesn't deviate after pitching. No discernable movement to my eyes.

You shouldn't get seam movement every delivery either. Occasional deviation off the seam should be good enough.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
I don't choose 'seam' (L stick up to 12 o'clock) much cos I reckon it doesn't deviate after pitching. No discernable movement to my eyes.

As cricket_online said it won't deviate every time and it depends on the wicket. You will notice a bit more movement with the new ball and it decreases as the ball ages. On a green wicket for example you will often get movement off the seam from the swinging deliveries also.

kamyFC

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
@kamyFC

A couple of tips for you in regards to spin bowling.

Reduce drift to zero or just 1 or 2 attributes above zero for the spin bowlers you use regularly. The reason for this being that the drift is exaggerated and as a result over-powers the turn slightly. Even set to zero you can still get the ball to drift by selecting the drift deliveries and also by shining the ball. Once you get used to bowling with these settings you can have a go at setting drift differently for different bowlers to make them individual and give you different options even if they are the same type of bowler.

The ball won't always turn sharply but every now and then one will. This is a feature of DBC I personally really like.

Look to pitch the ball on any features the pitch may have, such as worn areas and on cracks, if you hit these areas you will see some extra deviation. Depending on where these areas are located will dictate from which end and also from which side of the wicket you should bowl. This also applies to seam bowling.

Interesting - I tried this for couple of my leg spinners and noticed this.

Earlier when drift was high for my 2 leg spinners - they bowled at 1800+ RPM consistently.
Once i followed your tip and set the drift to 0-2 points in edit player settings, i found that they could only get max RPM of 700-800.

So apparently if u mess with the drift for a spinner, u dont get those High RPMs.
Did not visually notice significant increase in Turn even on Crumbly wickets.

How many people here can visually notice turn from Leg to Off against a right hander when say a top level right handed leg spinner bows 6 balls of leg breaks?

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Interesting - I tried this for couple of my leg spinners and noticed this.

Earlier when drift was high for my 2 leg spinners - they bowled at 1800+ RPM consistently.
Once i followed your tip and set the drift to 0-2 points in edit player settings, i found that they could only get max RPM of 700-800.

So apparently if u mess with the drift for a spinner, u dont get those High RPMs.
Did not visually notice significant increase in Turn even on Crumbly wickets.

How many people here can visually notice turn from Leg to Off against a right hander when say a top level right handed leg spinner bows 6 balls of leg breaks?

I don't seem to remember lowering drift having any effect on RPM's, certainly nothing as drastic as you are reporting but reducing flight certainly did. I will be continuing a saved game later this evening that has Rashid in the team so will check and let you know.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
What difference could it make to a delivery (fast or medium fast) when pulling RAS back on delivery stride? Like doing this early in the green zone or late in the green zone.

Someone else also asked this question a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure to be honest, maybe a slight difference in trajectory from bowling further back/ further forward in the crease?

Try bowling 2 balls, one pulled back early and one late, making sure that the ball is released at the same point for both and then compare them in "Big Lines".
As you mentioned that you are playing on amateur and therefore have a bigger green zone, you should notice a greater variation than you would on the higher levels, if there is indeed any at all.

FiSh250505

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
only just started playing again after a few months away but have noticed steam downloading a few updates just recently, have they changed anything with bowling? as i'm finding it very difficult to take wickets now when i previously had no problem

it's getting kind of frustrating now as i'm getting catching chances more or less every over but they're always in areas where there's no fielders or drop just short, if i set an attacking field i can't buy an edge but as soon as i remove the slips one will come in an over or two

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
@kamyFC

Ok so I had a bowl with Rashid playing on pro and was regularly getting around 1500 RPMs. For your reference his settings are drift:2, flight:8 and leg-break:12, other bowling skills: between 6 and 8.

So as you can see despite being set fairly low I am still getting reasonable RPMs, so reducing only drift isn't the cause of your problem.

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
Is there any way of getting a little more time (when batting) when facing really fast bowling. Like, would a reduction of the arm speed skill give me enough time to play what looks like something of a cricket stroke , rather than looking like I'm wafting a haddock in my hands.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Is there any way of getting a little more time (when batting) when facing really fast bowling. Like, would a reduction of the arm speed skill give me enough time to play what looks like something of a cricket stroke , rather than looking like I'm wafting a haddock in my hands.

Should do. Also remove the circle round the ball.

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
Could someone clarify the use of the bowling speed modifiers. When exactly do you press these buttons? And, if I select a delivery type with the left stick as bowler runs in, does this mean that the speed modifier can't be used at the same time? Now for the really daft question......if I press these speed modifiers 2 or 3 times.....does this make a slower ball really slow.....and a faster ball really fast?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Could someone clarify the use of the bowling speed modifiers. When exactly do you press these buttons? And, if I select a delivery type with the left stick as bowler runs in, does this mean that the speed modifier can't be used at the same time? Now for the really daft question......if I press these speed modifiers 2 or 3 times.....does this make a slower ball really slow.....and a faster ball really fast?
They are a toggle - you press them once for a faster/slower ball - or press both at the same time to clear it back to a normal speed delivery. They work in conjunction with the different deliveries, but don't multiply.

Skankhunt 42

Banned
I desparately want to bowl as P. Siddle (the great outswing we saw in Ashes). Never saw any wild swing in DBC 14 so wondering whether we can actually deliver some! Any assistance will be gratifying. Also just to brush-up, how exactly we can bowl Swing with a midium pacer. A Controller screenshot will be a great help.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread