Story c39_0823|Born to Fight for Success - A Journey with SA Redbacks, Innings 2 of WW Vs SA FC

When will Suren Ram get to wear the Baggy BLUE for his country?

• Total voters
i_am_waiting_thuppakki_dialogue_zpse13ccb4f.jpg

Chapter 23
TN Vs UP, Lunch, Day 3 - Call it a challenge or an opportunity?

May 23, 2009
Time - 01 : 00 PM​

With Day 3 having lot of works for us to do on the field, only positive message we got from our coach is to keep fighting without giving up. Our strategy for Day 3 was very simple, i.e. to wrap up their innings at the earliest and spend the first session of the day without loosing wickets. To be noted that, it has always been the first session of day which has produced more number of wickets.

Looked to me, 'A Pathetic Bowling from US!'

zwa6.jpg

... Really.. Struggled to get that final wicket! ...

I always felt that, Kumar should have been given majority of the overs regardless of he giving away runs. However it looked like, my skipper felt otherway that he started Day 3 with Balaji & Mahesh. Yes, they were attempting to get some reverse swing with the old ball but the problem turned out to be 'Too much trying!'. :noway Praveen Kumar and RP Singh were giving strong resistance adding frustrations to our side along with some runs for their side.

Kumar, Balaji & Yo Mahesh kept toggling ends but it had no luck whatsoever. This final wicket partnership frustrated us and I felt so impatience in me that I badly wanted to go back to dressing room putting my batting pads ON! :noway

However, it was Kumar who got that final wicket after some minutes of fight. Pitch was not bad at all, it still had liveliness in its surface. Only problem with our bowling unit was getting the deliveries pitched on right spots. Out of all the bowlers, Kumar was the exceptional one to get consistently on good areas even though he was taken for runs most of the times.

UP was finally all out for 378 Runs with Kumar taking 5 wickets leading the bowling cards. Balaji was impressive with 3 wickets at the economy rate of just around 3 RPO.

WHAT? :eek: Just cannot believe the Collapse!

gxza.jpg

With our innings to begin, the energy level was positive as we had the game plan of attacking the bowlers in very first few overs and then to go at the steady rate. Our intentions were very clear to go past 72 runs quickly and to get a strong lead from there.

Anirudh and Vijay started on with positive signs by rotating strikes, however it did not last long. Anirudh tried to break very loose that he sacrificed his wicket unnecessarily. I was very much tempted to ask my coach to send me at number 3, but I was stunned without words when my coach sent Arun Karthik at number 3. :( I wanted this opportunity to take lead role in the middle but, it looked to have turned down even before it came up!

Karthik started positively with a note of boundary, but tragic moments started hitting our dressing room again! Yes, Praveen-RP-Mishra combination looked so deadly that our batsmen struggled without a clue except Arun Karthik. Vijay and Badrinath soon became their victims, however Karthik determined to put up a clear fight when he took RP Singh for a massive SIX! It was just we thought that things will change with both the Karthiks' in middle, Mishra turned the tables by getting rid of danger-man 'Arun Karthik'. Yes, he grabbed his second in very second over with only few minutes left for lunch.

:eek: It's my time? Yes, I just could not believe it but it was time for me to join my skipper in middle.

" Suren, I do not care or bother on what is going on between you and our coach. All I care is, this MATCH! Yes. Do not commit any suicide like others, I want you to bat in the way you like to bat. If you can lend me your hand in this rescue mission, I give my word to speak for you in sending you back as opener like how you wish! Good Luck! "

These words from my skipper just fed me all the encouragements that I need to carry on in this match. We did not loose any further wickets with umpires removing the bails off for LUNCH!

Lunch Time Scorecard

d8l5.jpg

TN : 55/5( 2nd Innnings, 15 Overs )
[ UP : 378/10, TN : 306/10, UP Lead By 17 Runs ]

D Karthik* : 4(6 balls)
Suren Ram : 0*(2 balls)

A Karthik : 26(39 balls)

Mishra : 2/2(2)

Can TN recover from this COLLAPSE? Can Suren Ram keep up the trust of his skipper? Or he will let it down again like he did to his coach in first innings? Stay Tuned to find out more. :)

Last edited:
Not looking good for tamil nadu but it's time for suren.

Amit Mishra has moved to UP, eh? Anyway, time for DK and SR to do similar to what Pujara and Jadeja did -- they stitched an unbeaten 520 run partnership -- against Orissa back in 2008-09.

Not looking too good for them at the moment, Ram's time to shine!

Not looking good for tamil nadu but it's time for suren.

Thank you, actually I feel that I should have chosen some dry pitch on the game instead. :D

Amit Mishra has moved to UP, eh? Anyway, time for DK and SR to do similar to what Pujara and Jadeja did -- they stitched an unbeaten 520 run partnership -- against Orissa back in 2008-09.

Ohhh, you got me to it! UP indeed has Amit Mishra but he is different. :(

Code:
Amit Mishra      
India

Full name Amit Mishra
Born November 11, 1991, Kanpur
Current age 21 years 345 days
Major teams Uttar Pradesh
Batting style Right-hand bat
Bowling style Right-arm medium

Anyways, I will retain current game's Amit Mishra who has been contracted to UP. :) You have very sharp knowledge even in domestic squads. Thanks for the info. :cheers

An unexpected collapse, and TN in deep trouble with 5 down and still trailing by some runs.
Some suggestions for updates BTW:
1.Post previous scores to get reader recollect previous update.
2.Write something on the manner a batsman got out.
3.Provide complete scorecard to acquaint reader with it.
This was what I felt which needs improvement, you have been going great anyways.KIU.:thumbs

Last edited:
An unexpected collapse, and TN in deep trouble with 5 down and still trailing by some runs.
Some suggestions for updates BTW:
1.Post previous scores to get reader recollect previous update.
2.Write something on the manner a batsman got out.
3.Provide complete scorecard to acquaint reader with it.
This was what I felt, you have been going great anyways.KIU.:thumbs

Thank you, sure thing noted down. Will provide those details for 1 & 3 going forward.

However, for point 2 - I am currently not focusing too much on how other players are getting dismissed( and additional storyline around them ) considering that this is an career story and my initial thoughts/plans is to get more in details only when Suren Ram is on the field. That's why kind of not wanting to get this one as 'team' story. Atleast until I take Suren Ram to a National level, wanted to stay on highlevel notes/summaries for other domestic players. Oh Wait, did I leak out my storyline? :D haha.

If you feel any different ideas for point 2 - let me know, I can incorporate them going forward. Thanks again for the valuable feedback, always very great to know and hear from readers.

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback!

6xe3.jpg

** Caution - Image might load slowly **

Stay Tuned to find out more on Day 3.

Chapter 24
TN Vs UP, End of Day 3 - Dominance, Struggle & Self Destruction!

May 23, 2009
Time - 06 : 30 PM​

With Tamil Nadu resuming from 55/5 - the skipper, Dinesh Karthik and the young lad, Suren Ram had lot of challenges to rescue their team from an embarrassing defeat. We are the last recognized batting pairs and our coach did not have anything much to pass on apart from wishing luck to both of us. With my skipper passing on the note of trust to me, I was just determined to break free and have a go at the bowlers. Yes that is correct, I made my mind very firm of the decision to switch to aggressive mode contrasting the type of role that I played in first innings.

License to Break Free - surprised the UP bowlers & my Skipper!

o7sh.JPG

For a moment and a change - I felt the fortune favoring the BRAVE..

Some might question, 'Am I crazy to decide for wanting to be aggressive?'. But playing defensively and spending more time with caution just makes me to feel weak, I must admit that. Not sure why, but I always feel uncomfortable to stay on brakes without acceleration of runs. I might have got the ton in my first innings of this match by facing close to 300 deliveries, but I cannot deny that I was always in uncomfortable zone with having so many mind battles and tortures through out that innings. This might not be a role of responsible team player, but I always had confidence that I could be a responsible team player with natural aggressive stroke plays.

When I conveyed this to my skipper, surprisingly he wished me luck without hesitation and supported me in other end with cheers and encouragements. I started to play very aggressively and my goal of taking Mishra out of the attack was successful. I smashed 2 huge SIXES from Mishra, that UP skipper just took him out of the attack and brought back Murtaza and RP singh to bowl. Sadly, they did not last long either. I just continued to go after bowlers blindly and to be honest, I just enjoyed it. My skipper @ other end just looked to have his big teeth shown outside with big smile on seeing the ball touching the ropes frequently. :D Not only that we went pass the trailing score of UP, but also I reached 50 at ease without any difficulty. Not a surprise, that I reached fifty with smashing the bouncer to yet another SIX of my innings.

Yes, I raised my bat with PROUD to the dressing room and for the very first time, I was surprised to see my coach giving standing applause for my knock.:eek:

Karthik, My Skipper - A wonderful bloke to Bat with!

rii6.jpg

..was never in the comfort zone like this, before..

Our run rate kept accelerating every over & it was close to 6 RPO. Dinesh Karthik, my skipper, provided all sorts of support in the other end with positive words and encouragements. He played very cautiously and slowly that he was contented most of the times with bringing me on the strike. Conditions were hotter in afternoon, but still I felt that I had a firm grip over the opposition bowling and just kept continuing the fireworks without any brakes.

UP bowlers( Praveen Kumar, RP Singh, Mishra, Murtaza and Nath ) were all shuffled for short spells with different field settings but none were effective to stop us from reaching the century runs stand between myself and my skipper.

Yes, I contributed around 70 Runs in that century partnership with my skipper contributing 26 runs at the steady pace.

More than a TON, I won the 'Contented' feeling of cricket!

bbhv.jpg

Never ever thought that, getting a ton was so easy!

With lead growing past 100 for our team, there was nothing to loose and nothing to gain as we are not going to be in strong position unless something exceptional happens. That route of exception, is what I always wanted to hijack and take it for my advantage. With the rate that I was on song in going for big hits, I continued to stay aggressive accelerating our score card.

Yes, I started playing un-orthodox shots in one leg, one hand and all weird stuffs. :D Never imagined that, I can hit big & long but I DID IT! Yes, I kept pushing hard at those bowlers and even their wicket keeper whispered while taking guard for one of the bowlers, "Why bothered to take guard, anyways you are going to dance and hit aiming the cloud!". :p

It was 64th ball, which I smashed standing in one leg for a flat six on leg side. RP Singh was the bowler, & I observed him restless which I took advantage of. :) Yes, I got the ton in the 64th delivery which I didn't even care to bother to wonder whether it was the fastest century in Ranji Trophy. More than the ton, I was so satisfied with the feeling of playing actual cricket without pressure despite our team's conditions of struggle to get a good lead. My skipper gave a exciting pat on my shoulders while, I was so relieved to watch my coach continuing to applaud for my efforts.

Lead was not still big but we kept our intentions positive with the partnership growing solid. It was the moment I had the contented feeling of cricket, I realized the small zone of uncomfortable feeling in me of getting drained and exhausted under hot conditions. I didn't mind it, just carried on.

Dinesh Karthik's well deserved Fifty!

qg5u.jpg

Milestones after milestones, Karthik reached 50 with a solid batting display filled with lot of patience in his innings. Though he was rotating quick singles to bring me on strike, I started denying them after century due to my inability to run quickly from tiredness. Karthik didn't mind it, he continued to support every moment. After Karthik's fifty, we realized that our partnership also crossed 200 RUNS. Yes, we were getting to a position of decent lead. Though our team is not in the strongest position despite these milestones, we were contented of avoiding the embarrassing situation and all our hopes were to get a fighting lead on the board.

RP Singh & Praveen - Pacers who restored UP back!

0ot7.jpg

..It was just when things started to look right, went to the wrong side within few moments..

Only when we were on the right moment to enjoy the sport we were playing, RP singh played a spoil sport. He got rid of the skipper with a reverse swing delivery for LBW. This disappointed me the most, as our 201 runs stand was put to an unexpected end when we were close to 200 runs lead as well. Adding further to this, Kumar-Sam-Balaji did not last long either. They were becoming victim after victims, & I really was not able to recover from my drained fitness.

Situations forced me to continue taking risks with aggressive strokes, and I even thought that my unorthodox way of playing looked like playing Tennis! :D I just kept punishing the bowlers and went past my 150 runs as well. I didn't bother to lift my bat to dressing room when I went past 150, as I knew that our team needs at-least 200 more to get into the commanding position. While progressing every ball & boundary, I was noticing my strength getting drained slowly. I literally walked between stumps while taking singles. :noway

My Fears started growing MORE, just EXHAUSTED!

nrxi.jpg

Cannot tell how I felt, but completely got drained needing a desperate BREAK!

This was the moment, which I did not get even when I played the entire day in my first innings. Not sure whether it was because of me playing another day's innings within a small time frame or due to my 'over-aggressive' batting, my legs refused to move freely like they did during my innings start. I lied down on the ground on numerous occasions between overs break, getting ice therapy and leg stretches. Things turned worse, I started LIMPING when I approached 190's.

I cannot retire hurt myself as my team did not have any wickets left, and hence I forced myself with limping legs to continue the innings. Dinesh Karthik, my skipper came in as runner for me, but things did not get any better. My body was forcing me to give up, while my mind was determined to carry on. This was totally a different battle which I experienced, I had no options left except for me to keep going at the bowlers. Karthik encouraged me with numerous pats, after all whatever I did was due to my courage and it has been rightly rewarded for our team until this point.

My Bravery Vs My Drained Body under Hot Conditions - Former gets DEFEATED!

f6p4.jpg

:eek::eek: I missed my first 200! Probably the fastest 200? :eek::eek:

It was when I was on 199 runs, Karthik was trying to divert my drained feeling with some jokes. " You would be probably rewarded a luxury car, if you get this fastest 200! ;)", said my skipper. I tried my best to keep all the focus on game without letting my body to get a win over me, but couldn't resist for a long time. :(

Yes, it was the same 199 runs that I got dismissed to Praveen Kumar while attempting to put him in offside. I got inside edge & the ball went straight to the stumps! :noway I just could not believe it, but it was too late as their players started celebrating the moment. However, I got standing applause from both UP bowlers & from my team( including skipper and the coach ). Though my tiredness took control over me in the end, I still feel contented of what I did to the opposition( 199 runs from just 124 balls ) helping my team to get into the fighting total to defend 261 runs for the victory.

Adding Further - MY INJURY ON FIELD!

chnl.jpg

Why in the hell, I have to go & field in my exhausted conditions?

My coach suggested me to take break from the field, but I was stubborn enough to go over his suggestions and I was on field for UP's innings without minding my body conditions. Yes, I did not feel well but I had that team spirit in me for contributing to this final fight of this match for next 2 days.

This team spirit further added miseries to my fate, Yes that is right - Injury to my ankle! :eek: Towards the end of the day's play, there was an opportunity given to me for which I needed to make a well stretched dive for utilizing that opportunity. I did another brave attempt in going after the ball, & I did manage to catch it. However, while landing on the field - I twisted my right ankle that added more pain and it looked to have develop a serious injury. My team mates rushed to me to find out my position, even UP batsman stood near by me before going to pavilion. I just screamed in pain as I was not able to stand up from ground. Few people came running with a stretcher to carry me to hospital.

I did not know how bad was my injury, all I realized was 'PAIN!'. Yes, only the pain that I was carried back to hospital immediately. Third days' play came to an end with UP loosing 2 wickets. Match is still looking balanced between both the sides, but I really do not know whether I can make it to the field for next 2 days. They carried me inside the room in hospital nearby for further scans in my leg...I was not able to walk even in the hospital!

UP : 50/2( 2nd Innnings, 16 Overs )
[ TN : 333/10, UP : 378/10, TN : 306/10, UP Need 211 Runs to Win ]

P Gupta* : 21(42 balls)
Suresh Raina : 2*(5 balls)

G Tomar : 12(26 balls)
M Kaif : 11(25)

Y Mahesh : 2/13(6)

What will happen to Suren Ram? No-one knows, hope it doesn't go like Kambli's INTL career where same ankle twist made him suffer in rest of his life. Stay Tuned to find out MORE. :(

Last edited:
Attack is the best form of defense and that is exactly what Ram with DK managed to do there. He would be kicking himself for missing an opportunity to score a double but back to back hundreds will get him in the potential players list for the future plans of the national team management.

So a superb innings from Suren ended in a poor way. It was a really great innings from him, and only due to his innings TN will be having hopes to win this match, which, for otherwise would have been a one sided affair. But at the end of the day, it was really sad to see Suren injuring himself and hope he recovers soon. However TN bowlers should not let his efforts go in vain and hope they win the match for TN.:)

What a aggressive knock by s.ram hope he recovers soon.

Attack is the best form of defense and that is exactly what Ram with DK managed to do there. He would be kicking himself for missing an opportunity to score a double but back to back hundreds will get him in the potential players list for the future plans of the national team management.

So a superb innings from Suren ended in a poor way. It was a really great innings from him, and only due to his innings TN will be having hopes to win this match, which, for otherwise would have been a one sided affair. But at the end of the day, it was really sad to see Suren injuring himself and hope he recovers soon. However TN bowlers should not let his efforts go in vain and hope they win the match for TN.:)

What a aggressive knock by s.ram hope he recovers soon.

Thank you Guys. :cheers Yea it was unlucky that I didn't get the magical 200 but 199 also gave a separate feeling to it. ;) Thanks again for the valuable feedback.

Just to share that, more than batting - I am also enjoying the bowling on this game. Swing parameters, if set correctly in player editor gives good realistic results on the game. Default settings in this game looks to have the parameters all balanced between pace, in/out swing & off/leg cut deliveries. Obviously, as a pacer you won't be going balanced in outswing/inswing/off/leg cut all in same time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread