Story c39_0823|Born to Fight for Success - A Journey with SA Redbacks, Innings 2 of WW Vs SA FC

When will Suren Ram get to wear the Baggy BLUE for his country?

• Total voters
Logo_V1.png

Chapter 37
Aus OD Shield : Tas Tigers Vs SA Redbacks, Match 1

August 30, 2009
Time - 10: 00 PM​

With back to back disappointing performances in FC matches, I was slowly building my determinations inside me to get ready for my first OD match. Though I wasn't sure whether I would get a place in team XI, my coach and the skipper sounded positive on me. They even made fun of me, 'You know how to get a clean strike but it is just that your legs are lazy enough that they always want to come back to dressing room after stepping into the batting crease!'

Though they were teasing for fun, I took those valid points in a constructive way and wanted to rectify myself to get better in the next match. Just before the match toss, my coach told me that I would be continuing to bat @ number 4 position even for ODs. This made me bit relieved, I got to know that I would be playing my first OD match. Rather than thinking back on my FC performances, I deviated my focus in a positive way as my last & only OD match got me 80 runs!

My Opportunity - Only during Last 20 Overs

IMG_5738.jpg

Top Order looked solid that, I was warming up the benches during first 30 Overs

So, Klinger won the toss and put our team to bat first. Felt excited as the pitch looked very flat to me & what else you would want for a batsman to start a day? Though I was @ number 4( 2 down player ) - I kept my pads ON and was all set ready for batting! My coach looked at me & laughed out loud that I was set ready to bat already without having confidence in my team's top order. I gave a joined smile with my coach but it was more of a silent smile.

With match kicking off, Tassie team felt too difficult to remove our top order. Hughes and Klinger put on a solid 50 runs partnership followed by 90 runs partnership between Hughes and Head. It was when I started cheering for a century from Hughes, Doherty removed Head and I was given a strong pat on my shoulder to wish me luck from my coach! Yes, it was my moment to go and continue the solid momentum.

There was no pressure, no hurry and we looked solid in terms of run rate and wickets in hand. Hence, I just made my mind to spend time at the crease even if I don't get to score runs. I was also very eager to see Hughes getting a century but Rainbird dismissed Hughes for 98 RUNS! That was so disappointing as Hughes attempted to go blindly over the top despite he being on his nervous 90s!

This added a bit of pressure when Ferguson joined me at batting crease as we both looked fresh and we ran out of well settled players. I kept my mind solid still and started off cautiously in rotating strikes with odd boundaries. We already got the message from dressing room to press the acceleration button for last 15 overs.

Doherty was bit of pain in my *** but I kind of felt comfortable against the pacers. I was able to score odd boundaries to keep the scorecard ticking and also stayed cautious in not throwing my wicket. Yes, joke of my skipper & coach kept echoing in my ears and I wanted to prove something here though I didn't know how to do it! ;) There were some deliveries which almost had me OUT but I was lucky that those were deliveries weren't accurate enough!

Went PAST my FIRST OD FIFTY!

IMG_5742.jpg

**It looked slow but actually, it was very QUICK:eek:**

I realized that it took me 27 balls to score my first 27 runs, which gave me internal satisfaction and it was this moment where I decided to switch ONE more gear to accelerate further.

Not sure how it worked out, but I was able to connect the ball onto my bat very clean and it was very much enjoyable to be on the domination side. Same Doherty who was irritating me, gave me my confidence back to accelerate. YES, the STRAIGHT SIX which struck the sight screen gave me a rewarding smile that I can handle these Tassie bowlers! Doherty was taken out of attack after that one over which I was very much looking to smash him on all the sides. With spinner going out of attack, it gave me my comfort zone to handle the pacers as I was kind of comfortable always to keep the pacers down.

Though I kept loosing Ferguson, Botha, Ludeman and Mennie - I kept marching into different milestone zones, i.e. 70s, 80s and FINALLY into the nervous 90s! Yes, it was great to hear those applauses from dressing room but it kept adding pressure on me as we were 6/231 during one stage. With conditions suddenly turning overcast, I kept punishing the bowlers taking away the majority of my strikes and started building my team score that automatically landed me in nervous 90 ZONE!

Very Important Milestone - A Debut TON! Yes, Under Rain!

IMG_5746.jpg
IMG_5750.jpg

**I kept hitting ONE after ANOTHER, suddenly I realized it was time to RAISE MY BAT to my dear dressing room panel, Yes MY FIRST MILESTONE**

Overcast conditions turned to a RAIN! Yes, umpires were already talking to take the bails off and cover the ground with sheet but I raised no objections for batting conditions and match somehow resumed under light showers. I cursed the weather as I started to feel an immense pressure to finish the things off which I started off in an easy manner. Nervous 90s, without doubts, is an obvious confidence kill for any batsman and I found conditions hard to hit the ball under showers.

There were couple of close calls from Doherty, it was when I thought that I was dismissed - I found the umpire nodding his head otherway. Ups & downs, light to heavy downpour of showers all kept adding as obstacle but I shattered them with a boundary that brought me my FIRST CENTURY on Aussie condition. It was my first OD century, & I gave a big wide smile to my dressing room while raising the bat. It just took 68 balls for my first century, I was PROUD indeed as I took my team to 290ish score.

Felt even more relieved when umpires stopped the match on the very second ball after my century & my back to back boundaries. Yes, when I was on 104 runs and my team was on 288 runs, match was stopped and overs were reduced to 42 for Tassie team to reach the 280ish score by D/L method.

Scorecard & Match Summary

scorecard4.png
scorecard3.png

**YES, YES, YES - my FIRST Man Of The Match AWARD**

After rain, play resumed with Tassie team needing a big target within limited overs. Our bowlers utilized the slow conditions very well that we ended up with dominating victory against Tassie in our first OD match. My quick century was recognized as man of this match, for which I was very PROUD indeed that I was able to make an useful contribution and convert that contribution to a WIN! What else would a player need to feel rewarding than this? :D

Life is full of unexpected turns and twists, that even a small joke can change a person to step into serious POSITIVE zone. Those 2 lines from coach and skipper before my match, without doubts started everything in me and kept motivating me to build a confidence level. Now that I have marked my first milestone, how well can I cope up with the healthy competition around? Well, I don't know really! :)

Highlights Reel : Century of Suren Ram, Master Blaster of the DAY!

Will this MOTM going to be a TURNING POINT for Suren Ram? Stay Tuned to find out MORE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your timing is real good. I personally wouldn't go straight most of the time as there is a risk with getting caught, but your timing was good.

Funny thing is that the commentator didn't realise you reached the milestone.

Good work on the presentation too. :thumbs

Facebook TIME with FANS!

facebook_Template2.png

AFTER Match :​
aftermatch2.png

Before Match :​
Before_Match1.png

As soon as I returned to my hotel room, my entire body was in pain. After taking some hot water shower for almost an hour (:p), I logged in to my face book. Was very much surprised to see the reactions on my page, YES my U19 coach seems to be playing some mind games with me with some hurting comments on the page.

However, was contented & happy to see Warnie following my page & wishing me for my first century. Though he phrased some indirect challenge to me against Bushrangers, I felt so contented & fortunate in hearing some big players having eye on my performance.

With some small smile on my place, I read through the remaining comments from other members and followers. It was interesting to go through them, I am always fortunate and honored to even realize that we have some followers of Suren Ram! :yes Keep them coming, this young chap need tons of those wishes to overcome his obstacles & to move forward. With such a nice feeling to read those members' comments, I closed my eyes over my lappy for a deep sound sleep.

Coming Up Next .. FC Shield, Match 3! All the predicta participants would be given 1000 Vcash for participation as we did not receive any guesses accurate/close enough to the actual score of Suren Ram. Thank You again for the participation, will catch you up with next segment of 'Fans Corner' of this edition!

Last edited:
Wow what a quick fire ton bro,i wish you will carry this form into FC cricket as well.As usual brilliant presentation along with the innovative facebook chapter.:clap

Your timing is real good. I personally wouldn't go straight most of the time as there is a risk with getting caught, but your timing was good.

Thank you, my timing actually improved match by match through pro-cam when I was practicing it in PS3. Though it is a drawback when you are on non-strikers' end, it is the best camera to bat on, in particular if you play cricket in real life as well. :) Thanks again.

Jeez, that Aditya guy sure is blunt. And yes, Suren sure was lucky. I stand by my prediction, if not duck in this match then in the next - I'm never wrong. :spy

I haven't been following this great story but I'd love to say one thing, Suren Ram could have made it to India if he was a seamer. :p

Anyway, great work Suren. Really an interesting and well manager story. Keep it up! :thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread