Commonwealth Bank Series

The Kiwi attack at full strength looks to be around SA or Pakistan so they will provide us with a good test when they finally get back to full strength. We have played SA attack a number of times so we know what to expect from them and India's is still developing.

davefryer said:
Semanticism aside, are you (clearly) trying to tell me that the English cricket team is only selected from English county teams?

Would you like to discuss cricket or shall we engage in historical evaluation of the term "United Kingdom"?

What I, and several others, have been trying to convey to you is that too much emphasis is placed upon "correct" nomenclature and behaviour in English cricket and not enough upon the suitability and compatability of individual players.

Well each player has a county dippy.

2 things:

One) Don't argue with Andrew because he will win.

Two) As you're an Australian it is hilarious reading your posts trying to flame England for picking non-'English' players.

-------------

NZ put up a good fight today, Australian don't look at the tip top of their game and they do on occasions look liable to having a collapse every so often (highly ironic I know). Clarke batted really well today and Hussey was there at the end yet again.

irottev said:
Can anyone just admit that our bowling attack is actually half decent. I know you Australians like to think your team could plummet any attack everywhere, but Bond, Gillespie, Franklin, Vettori and Patel are looking like a damned good attack. And we don't even have Oram or Mills here yet. I must say, we are in a great situation for bowlers right now. Batsmen are the ones who have let us down in every game.
Yeah, your boys are bowling fine. Would like to see a bit more of Patel. I think Bond is loving the conditions over here and could be really dangerous on a seaming English wicket or on a steamy Caribbean day. Time to give some of your up and comers a chance with the bat 'cos the old guard could do with a bit of new blood to support them.

The problem with Pakistan is that their back-up bowling is poor. Once you've saw off Asif and Akhtar you've practically got batting practice. South Africa's lack of spin makes them a less tough proposition too. I'd say Australia and New Zealand have the best bowling attacks in ODI's. The sad thing is though, England would now probably have the best attack in Test cricket if Harmison, Hoggard, Jones, Flintoff and Panesar could play together.

Simbazz said:
I totally disagree....

Australia haven't lost a match yet, although two games have been dependant on Hussey and his tail end mates, the one thing Australia did was get to the finish line which most teams wouldn't. I would be suprised if they lost at all in leading up to the world cup.

The thing about Hussey is he seems like the sort of batsman who you can be reliant on for his whole career as a finisher. He has had 21 not outs in 41 innings, an amazing feat. If you cannot get a team's 6-8 out, you have no hope of stopping them chasing a total.

I think Pakistan's bowling attack is definately better then New Zealand, Sly.
I'm watching Asif now, he gets incredible cut on the ball and has an unbelievable bowling brain for a youngster. Just the way he balls, you know his just going to get whatever batsmans' at the crease out. At the moment he just seems unplayable, I'm pretty confident in saying that his probably the best bowler going around at the moment, his more effective then Bond and he'll end up being a more successful then McGrath. His dismissal of Kallis was genuine. Pakistan really have something in him, he really isn't something you regurally see.
Plus I saw Shoaib Akhtar destroy SA's batting lineup earlier.
And Umar Gul has also been quite successful aswell. He isn't far off Asif. He seems to be quite a talent aswell.
Get Saqlain in there over Kaneria and you've got the best bowling attack you could ask for. Pakistan are going to be a force for the future. They far by have the best bowling attack in the world when fully fit.

When Australia go out to bat with Hussey waiting to come on if a collapse is to happen they have already won half the game. Like Manee said, if you can't bowl a team out the likelihood of a draw or loss is slim.

Sureshot said:
Well each player has a county dippy.

2 things:

One) Don't argue with Andrew because he will win.

Two) As you're an Australian it is hilarious reading your posts trying to flame England for picking non-'English' players.

-------------

NZ put up a good fight today, Australian don't look at the tip top of their game and they do on occasions look liable to having a collapse every so often (highly ironic I know). Clarke batted really well today and Hussey was there at the end yet again.
1) Perhaps if you read the previous post by Andrew you would understand my irritation at his condescension.

2) If you understand the meaning of "context" (especially rare in journalists) you will understand the meaning of subjectual relativity.

davefryer said:
1) Perhaps if you read the previous post by Andrew you would understand my irritation at his condescension.

2) If you understand the meaning of "context" (especially rare in journalists) you will understand the meaning of subjectual relativity.
As to your addendum, you're completely correct. Sure, Ponting was unlucky but then so were England when Hussey was clearly out. So it goes. I still believe that it would be a bad thing not to have the human element in umpiring decisions.
I think you'll find that a couple of senior players will be "rested" very shortly in order to give a couple of young blokes a shot

I also hated how mcmillian screamed to hussey when he though he hit that overhead shot, which was lucky not to be a wide, especially since he did hit the damn ball when he was on 1. Didn't see him walk did we..

I think this factor of edging the ball and not walking is starting to become an up and down encounter. It seems its so much more controversial with Hussey.

wfdu_ben91 said:
NZ's attack is alright but if we can't convincingly go well against the Kiwi's then how are we going to go against a bowling attack like Pakistan? South Africa? Or even India whos showing promise.
Really some of our batsman just need to wake up.
Jeez!......
Fair go mate. I've heard all this stuff before when Australia, West Indies, England etc. or even a particular batsman or bowler from whatever country has a couple of bad ones. Richards had finished, Border was too old, McGrath past it, Botham too self-involved, Warne finished - even the legendary Sobers was at one stage "no good" because he had a few bad ones.

IloveGilly said:
I think this factor of edging the ball and not walking is starting to become an up and down encounter. It seems its so much more controversial with Hussey.

A batsman should never ever walk. They are paid to stay at the wicket and they aren't doing their job by walking and not letting the umpire decide. I don't care how obvious a dismissal is, never walk until that finger goes up. This is why I wasn't moaning at the Hussey 'dismissal' against England the other day.

davefryer said:
Jeez!......
Fair go mate. I've heard all this stuff before when Australia, West Indies, England etc. or even a particular batsman or bowler from whatever country has a couple of bad ones. Richards had finished, Border was too old, McGrath past it, Botham too self-involved, Warne finished - even the legendary Sobers was at one stage "no good" because he had a few bad ones.
:rolleyes: What the hell are you getting at?

I also agree with Matt, how would you feel if you were a captain and you had a player the class of Hussey at the crease and for example you need 10 runs or so to win with one wicket in hand and he knicks one, the umpire is completely oblivious to it and they turn around and walk off the ground.
It might get you in the good books of the opposition but for me, you're letting down you're team. Cricket isn't a popularity contest.

evertonfan said:
A batsman should never ever walk. They are paid to stay at the wicket and they aren't doing their job by walking and not letting the umpire decide. I don't care how obvious a dismissal is, never walk until that finger goes up. This is why I wasn't moaning at the Hussey 'dismissal' against England the other day.

I can't agree with that. Having walked a couple of times myself, it makes me feel cheated when someone else doesn't walk when they know full well they are out. What Hussey did in the England game was disgraceful in my book. I don't care what the situation in the match is, if you know your out (which he quite obviously did), then you go.

More players should follow Gilchrist's example.

stevie said:
I can't agree with that. Having walked a couple of times myself, it makes me feel cheated when someone else doesn't walk when they know full well they are out. What Hussey did in the England game was disgraceful in my book. I don't care what the situation in the match is, if you know your out (which he quite obviously did), then you go.

More players should follow Gilchrist's example.

No they should not. What is the point of the umpire then. Also, if you are going to make your own decisions when batting, you will when bowling too, leading to complaints against an umpire.

Users who are viewing this thread