Commonwealth Bank Series

I suppose you're right Simon. I still think Hussey should have walked though :p

John Adams said:
I also hated how mcmillian screamed to hussey when he though he hit that overhead shot, which was lucky not to be a wide, especially since he did hit the damn ball when he was on 1. Didn't see him walk did we..

Agreed, but I suspect the appeal was to distract the umpire from giving the wide, which worked.

On the walking, I highly doubt every batsmen in world cricket is going to agree to just walk. Some will continue to stay there when they know they hit it. It just won't work. It's good the way it is, the umpires (cough Asad Rauf) just need to be competant. Australia are good enough that if they get a shocker they still win the game. If you are dominant over your opponant enough, the odd decision won't matter.

The problem is, that Rauf fellow gets more wrong then right.

And on Chris Harris, need I say more:
http://www.blackcaps.co.nz/display.aspx?pri=112&sec=710&cid=5803&tpl=2

Get him one ticket to Perth please.

This walking debate is starting to really heat up now. No doubt after yesterday, it's going to heat up in the media as well.

Wow 100 off just 52 for Harris. Not bad at all.

IloveGilly said:
This walking debate is starting to really heat up now. No doubt after yesterday, it's going to heat up in the media as well.

Wow 100 off just 52 for Harris. Not bad at all.

His bowling wasnt as easy reading ;)

Yeh, I noticed that :p

But they can replace Marshall (brought in as the extra batsman) and just bring in Harris and maybe give him a few overs if required.

IloveGilly said:
Yeh, I noticed that :p

But they can replace Marshall (brought in as the extra batsman) and just bring in Harris and maybe give him a few overs if required.

By looks of it they'd only bring him in when Flintoff, Loye and at a push Dalrymple have gone :p

MUFC1987 said:
I think Yardy benefited from being somewhat of a secret weapon though. I mean he was new on the scene and his style is quite unique, which I think helped. He just strikers me as the type who batsmen could get used to in a hurry.

I think this A tour to Bangladesh is huge for him. He's only been bowling his quickish spin for about 3 years (he used to be left arm medium) he'll improve. His performances for Sussex thoroughly deserved his call up, maybe he suits our team better than he does in the England set-up. Mainly because we're in positions where he can finish off. With England he comes to bat needing 150 off of 20 overs or something stupid like that.

stevie said:
I've just seen the McMillan 'dismissal'. That was even worse than Hussey's!

Haha yes, I guess you can call that poetic justice. Well you could call it that if his score was still 1 at the time. I guess you can call the win to Australia poetic justice.

Yea I kinda wish the umpires had small lcd screens with them that showed them hotspot and hawkeye in an instant. That way all dismisalls would be correct. Sure it takes away the human aspect from the game, sadly, but since we have these heated debates, that would surely eliminate any umpire errors. But who knows if and when it shall happen...

Simbazz said:
His bowling wasnt as easy reading ;)

That is true, but even so, he went at what, 10's. Not too bad. His economy in the one day games have been 3's and 4's with a few wickets.

aussie1st said:
I would rather leave Hussey where he is as hes so dam effective at finishing our inns off. Can't remember the ODI but it was one of our recent ones where he got out and then suddenly the wheels fell of in the last 10 overs. Paine could be worth a punt but hasn't played too many games yet.

But other than him and Jaques not really many openers stepping up. Cosgrove was one but like Jaques seems to be in a slump. Klinger I guess could be worth a shot.
I would rather give a guy like Clarke a go rather than bring someone like Klinger in.

Rogers is another option, or Brad Haddin for when Gilly does depart

It's not an error. It's a judgement. The umpire doesn't refer rules, he judges by laws. Even the third umpire still gives batsmen benefit of doubt, with the benefit of multi-angle replays. The batsman has the right to stand his ground just as much as the fielding side has to appeal for a wicket.

Hussey's feather fine nick should never in a million years be given out. Virtually no audible sound, no deviation on the path of the ball. Benefit of the doubt must be given as the fielding team has not produced a very strong case to give the batsman out. I mean just the fact that people weren't arching up until they'd seen snicko and hotspot is enough to verify the ridiculousness of complaining about it.

The truth is, if in that instance England did not appeal for a catch, the umpire would not have even considered it. It's one of several elements to the law that predicate any consideration of the ball's trajectory. No amount of technology use should override the laws of cricket. Otherwise, you may as well have all fielders wearing catching mits and batsmen using oversized bats hollowed out and filled with cork.

In McMillan's case, it was definitely not in the favour of cricket for him to be out by snicko. Only the most boring, one-eyed specator would be happy with the drubbing that resulted there, especially with Ponting later on not given out lbw by hawkeye.

In the end though, what has proved more of a game breaking issue, umpiring decisions or bad fielding?

stereotype said:
I would rather give a guy like Clarke a go rather than bring someone like Klinger in.

Rogers is another option, or Brad Haddin for when Gilly does depart

Rogers isn't any good in OD he only has 1 100 in his OD career. Klinger's only had one good season so can't see him getting in.

My XI for tomorrow

Fleming
Astle
Taylor
Fulton
McMillan
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Gillespie
Bond/Franklin

Patel would be unlucky to miss out, but getting Mills back is more important. Gillespie can't be dropped. I guess you could take Patel over Franklin though.

Really, it's a question Mason vs Franklin if Bondy can't play. I went with Franklin, he got the edge because of his batting. He got no brownie points though from his dropped catch against the Aussies lol.

Looks much more balanced with Oram back in the side. He adds another big hitter and handy bowling. 5-7 could be really threatening if the top order does there work.

Users who are viewing this thread