Commonwealth Bank Series

aussie1st said:
Rogers isn't any good in OD he only has 1 100 in his OD career. Klinger's only had one good season so can't see him getting in.
Plus, I tend to think players don't get one without acheiving something in the other. Klinger needs to be established in both Vic teams, while I think, strange as it may sound, Roger's OD history hurts his test chances. In 'hurt', I mean if there's a Jaques or someone younger with a bit more talent in hot form when they next pick the test squad, I think he'll get a leapfrogging.

Also, great to hear the rest of the team is turning up for NZ. Hasn't been a bad start to their series and it could well improve from here, which is inevitably a pain for Aussie fans as they'll have to endure media reports of a failing, aging team and calls to drop everyone.

angryangy said:
Plus, I tend to think players don't get one without acheiving something in the other. Klinger needs to be established in both Vic teams, while I think, strange as it may sound, Roger's OD history hurts his test chances. In 'hurt', I mean if there's a Jaques or someone younger with a bit more talent in hot form when they next pick the test squad, I think he'll get a leapfrogging.

Also, great to hear the rest of the team is turning up for NZ. Hasn't been a bad start to their series and it could well improve from here, which is inevitably a pain for Aussie fans as they'll have to endure media reports of a failing, aging team and calls to drop everyone.
rogers has asked not to be selected in any OD games so he can focus on first class

With his OD record I can see why :)
You can't argue with his FC form though he should be a shoe in for the Test spot.

angryangy said:

There is only a few players that could get dropped in Hayden, Johnson/Clark and White. The rest are shoe ins.

evertonfan said:
Tell me about it. In fairness though, Yardy did okay with the ball but was shocking with the bat; His supposed stronger suit.
I didnt see him bowl, but from what I could tell the reason why his stats where so good, was that he bowled on crap pitches difficult to score on, when teams werent looking to tonk the ball and in the middle overs.

stereotype said:
I would rather give a guy like Clarke a go rather than bring someone like Klinger in.

Rogers is another option, or Brad Haddin for when Gilly does depart
Why not? Averaged about 45 last season and made 3 centuries. And this season he is the leading run scorer.

cricketmad09 said:
I didnt see him bowl, but from what I could tell the reason why his stats where so good, was that he bowled on crap pitches difficult to score on, when teams werent looking to tonk the ball and in the middle overs.

Why not? Averaged about 45 last season and made 3 centuries. And this season he is the leading run scorer.
was that about klinger? this guy has only just secured his spot in the VIC side and you want him to play for australia?

cricketmad09 said:

He is in good form but form doesnt mean everything, Hodge is also in fine form but got a duck in the ODI...its all about balance...you could say Haddin who has ODI experience and is averaging over 80 in OD's this season might be a better option...that and Klinger scores his runs awfully slowly regardless of his runs.....his strike rate is around 60

Last edited:
stereotype said:
He is in good form but form doesnt mean everything, Hodge is also in fine form but got a duck in the ODI...its all about balance...you could say Haddin who has ODI experience and is averaging over 80 in OD's this season might be a better option...that and Klinger scores his runs awfully slowly regardless of his runs.....his strike rate is around 60

And clearly the selectors aren't after that type of player because they would have kept Katich if they were.
Now is the time to try things with us in the Finals already. Giving Clarke a try at opener could work with Watson going to 4 when he returns. Right now you could add someone like Voges or even Haddin if the selectors are confident with his fielding.

Yeah, I suppoe the only thing Holding Haddin back is that he is a Keeper. His fielding is always going to be a bit suspect, and with the high standards of Fielding in Aus that could always count against him. Till Gilly retires at least

Sureshot said:
Bond is ruled out of tomorrows crucial game.

Really?

http://xtramsn.co.nz/sport/0,,12026-6845220,00.html

He will either carry the drinks or be in the XI.

Mills won't be played just yet. Which I think is fair enough.

New Zealand 12: Stephen Fleming (captain), Nathan Astle, Ross Taylor, Peter Fulton, Craig McMillan, Jacob Oram, Brendon McCullum, Daniel Vettori, James Franklin, Shane Bond, Mark Gillespie, Jeetan Patel.

I say Franklin misses out.

aussie1st said:
And clearly the selectors aren't after that type of player because they would have kept Katich if they were.
Now is the time to try things with us in the Finals already. Giving Clarke a try at opener could work with Watson going to 4 when he returns. Right now you could add someone like Voges or even Haddin if the selectors are confident with his fielding.
I wouldn't count on Hayden getting replaced until the finals or the Chappell-Hadlee trophy. It sounds like the selectors are pretty persistant on making sure he makes it to the WC.

wfdu_ben91 said:
I wouldn't count on Hayden getting replaced until the finals or the Chappell-Hadlee trophy. It sounds like the selectors are pretty persistant on making sure he makes it to the WC.

I don't think so, Sports Tonight said he will be under fire for the next few matches. It sounded highly likely that they will swap him around just in case the next opener doesn't perform. Every match could be one of his last in his ODI career.

Yea Hayden when he gets it right he's superb. He can smash the ball far away. I don't know why he doesn't practise his square of the wicket shots more often in the nets, I asume he doesn't anyway, and he should stop advancing down the wicket to the faster men as well. Unless he is in top top form. I wish him well :)

Users who are viewing this thread