Commonwealth Bank Series

evertonfan said:
Can't see Australia losing in this tri-series to be honest. Their second string is still a better ODI outfit than England.
dont be sad, pakistan lost to our WA 2nd XI, 3RD XI and UNI side lol

genghis_khan said:
If the NZ batsmen can't handle Vaas and Malinga i have no idea how they'll cope with Lee, McGrath, Bracken, Johnson, Clark, Anderson, Flintoff and Mahmood throughout the tournament. Yes perhaps the ball swings less in Australia but give Brett Lee a white ball under lights and he is menacing.

That wasn't there full strength side, add Oram, Styris and Vettori and you have a much better lineup. If Astle, Fleming fire we will be in for a good contest.

That's the thing with Odi cricket, in theory anyone can beat anyone otherwise Bangaldesh would never have beaten the Aussies back in England. It certainly doesn't always happen as more often than not the side with the most quality will come out on top, but it only takes one or two players having the games of their life, or even a few players being appaling for the favourites to come unstuck. Still, my money is not on England despite that :p

puddleduck said:
That's the thing with Odi cricket, in theory anyone can beat anyone otherwise Bangaldesh would never have beaten the Aussies back in England. It certainly doesn't always happen as more often than not the side with the most quality will come out on top, but it only takes one or two players having the games of their life, or even a few players being appaling for the favourites to come unstuck. Still, my money is not on England despite that :p

England just need a bit of KP magic and then hope the bowlers don't go the tonk .

aussie1st said:
England just need a bit of KP magic and then hope the bowlers don't go the tonk .
imo england need to stop relying on past records

davefryer said:
Australia won't win 'cos they've proved everything they wanted to and will be blooding some new guys. Will go close though.

I actually watched the Wheelabarraback thirds yesterday and they kept their heads up longer than the U.K. national team. lol.
Even if we do blood players, we'll still win.

And there is no such thing as the U.K national cricket team

irottev said:
When we put out best side on the park, we are up there as one of the best sides. It's just getting Bondy, Oram, Scotty and Millsy on the field.If we can do alright the first few games, we will have a shot once the latter 3 players come over.
Maybe bowling-wise, but as shown by the S.L match, the batting simply is not good enough.

I'm backing England to top the group but lose in the finals to the Aussies. Australia usually shine in finals.

cricketmad09 said:
Maybe bowling-wise, but as shown by the S.L match, the batting simply is not good enough.

Being bowled out for ridiculously low totals can happen. South Africa got bowled out against India for 84, doesn't make their batting bad. Australia got bowled out for 79 against England in 2005.. hardly proved the batting was bad.

Other totaly ridiculous things can happen in cricket, like Symonds scoring a test hundred ;).

Last edited:
Vaas is a better bowler then Johnson, Clark, Anderson, Flintoff and Mahmood in ODI's in my opinion. We tookj Malinga for a lot of runs in the other matches, we don't have that much trouble in the ODI's with him. The problem was when he came on Vaas had alrfeady done the damage.

The Sri Lankan attack is not to be under-estimated.

And barmy: Mills has been one of the best bowlers in ODI cricket the past year. Within the top 15 bowlers on the rankings and has improved heaps. Under-rated. He is our bowler who bowls good line and length and with good economy.

People are really underestimating the Sri Lankan attack in this thread. I've seen quotes such as "If you can't deal with Vaas how will you deal with Lee?" and it's getting on my nerves. Vaas has always been world class and will cause any batsman problems and one only needs to look how deadly Malinga's yorkers are to realise that you are always on your toes againts. Can't be easy batting against that action either.

On topic though, England are now underdogs with nothing lose and that's a position which they like to be in so hopefully they can scrape at least one victory against New Zealand so we end up with at least one victory on this tour.

got a nice nandoes sticker just then
"OUR CHICKEN'S JUST LIKE THE BARMY ARMY.
WHITE AND PLUMP"

lmao haha :D

You forgot the "And they also make more noise than us despite having lesser numbers and are more devoted to their team win or lose" part.

Out of 48 games as captain we've won 25 under Vaughan, losing 17.

If we get together and if Monty performs (We've never had wicket taking spinner in ODIs) then we have an outside chance.

Sureshot said:
Out of 48 games as captain we've won 25 under Vaughan, losing 17.

If we get together and if Monty performs (We've never had wicket taking spinner in ODIs) then we have an outside chance.
i'd say thats very very optimistic sureshot.

It's pretty much just Between the Aussies and New Zealand, it depends on how badly Australia play or how well New Zealand play on the outcome. New Zealand have really come on and I don't think people should underestimate them

Users who are viewing this thread