Commonwealth Bank Series

McMillan's over summed us up. A poor bowler who we should be putting away for 8+ and yet we manage to make him look good and gift him a wicket to boot.

It would help if Strauss and Colly could actually buy a run on this tour. They've let the side down big time, as they are two of the more experienced players in this side.

Also amazing isn't it that Freddie returns to captaincy and his performances have yet again declined. I'm not saying we would do any better without him as captain, but surely they can see that captaincy just doesn't suit Freddie?

The whole team has looked reasonably poor. I mean the best batsman we can bring in is apparently Mal Loye, who scores a six before getting out almost as soon as a left hander starts his run up. I'd back Ian Blackwell to be doing a lot better than Dalrymple as well. His bowling was shocking today.

And lets not forget, one of our best bowlers from the CT can't get a game in favour of Tremlett. Who can't buy a wicket and doesn't seem to understand what the word fielding means.

Panesar and Joyce have been the only good points from the last few matches in my view. It's a shame we couldn't keep Lewis and Anderson going for longer in this series.

I wouldnt get too excited about Judas Joyce. Don't reakon he'll be a consistently good ODI cricketer.

It is interesting isn't it MUFC, why on earth can't our players stay fit for the duration of a series? Perhaps they are playing too much county cricket? Maybe not enough county cricket? Hoggys about the only bowler who normally doesn't miss a game, and even he missed a test during the Ashes.

In terms of injuries in the last year, we've had Vaughan, Tresco (sort of), Kp, Harmison, Hoggy, Jimmy, Giles, Lewis, Blackwell and Freddie all missing at one stage or another. Not trying to make excuses here, but surely they have to look at why we've had 10 internationals all out injured in the space of a year?

I'd say if anything it's not enough cricket, or rather not being used to playing a lot of cricket. Like you said Hoggard is one of the guys who rarely gets injured and I think he plays a lot during the English summer, as not being a part of the One Day side means that he has more time to play for Yorkshire.

Some of them just seem to be bad luck. I mean KP getting injured in that way and Blackwell doing his shoulder are more freak injuries. It seems strange though that Lewis and Anderson have gone from playing a lot of matches early on tour (Lewis with the academy, Anderson in the first couple of Tests) yet break down after playing 3 games in 10 days, which isn't a lot really.

I suppose the more worrying concern is that all it takes is Kp being out, and someone like Jimmy or Freddie unavailable, and the whole team falls apart. Is it honestly the case that from an entire two division domestic structure with countless University sides and County 2nd XI's we can only find 13-14 players that are even close to international standard?

The problem is that we've had some players who were so much better than the rest of the team, that they become relied upon, then suddenly when they get injured, we struggle. Even last summer when we had most of our batting line up available, it was always Trescothick, Pietersen and Flintoff who were going to cause problems for the bigger sides. We never found a partner for Trescothick, so understandibly, when he got injured we had nothing.

The other thing is that selectors don't try enough County players in my view. Even the A team features mostly youngsters 'for the future' rather than good county players for the here and now.

England were pathetic. They hardly even tried. They rolled over and gave up. Absolutly appauling.

Vettori did totally dominate them though. Defiantly best bowling performance. Was unlucky not to have a third. Another disgusting umpiring decision, I am really tired of it. Not much to say. It's just disgusting. Obvious edge on it.

Our out fielders catching was appauling again, Franklin and Fulton giving the English free runs then two edges straight after the latter. ARGH. They need to work on it. For me, Fulton can leave the side for Styris, move Taylor to 3.

-> Those last 5 or so overs lacked any intensity. Can't blame our guys because the English were so pathetic, but still, catches should have been taken, Bond was bowling slow and no yorkers, silly balls. Not good enough. We had a spinner bowling one end. Maybe we should of been more serious. I'm glad Nixon missed the 50, didn't deserve it after being out and dropped and those extra runs we gifted him :/ The Australians would never have allowed that to happen. Even though the bonus point was worthless we should have aimed to stop them getting it by bowling tightly. Make a new game. They never bothered.

Anyway overall a hammering, I knew they had no chance. Bring on Aussie in the finals.

Hmm, Vettori 2-40, Panesar 2-35 and people say how NZ have a better team, so I assume we're all agreed that Panesar was the better bowler today.

I don't think so. Lets hear the neutrals opinions. Vettori had an obvious edge turned down his last ball.

The commentators hinted at it. Panesar bowled far too wide and short. Vettori was pitching them much straighter and caused the batsmen much more trouble.

Considering England needed like 7 an over when Vettori started and they tried their hardest to score off him and couldn't. Panesar got gift wickets, two batsmen going for 6's. Vettori's first was brilliant and the second was from a poor shot, but hit middle stump.

I think it's quite obvious that Vettori has outbowled Panesar all series. Even Jeetan Patel has.

Now get over your Montymania.

I didn't get to see the game, but it says Monty had a stumping not even referred that was close? I feel sorry for the lad, he seems to be the only player who wants to be out there even when the chips are down. Monty and Vettori the pick of the bowlers, and there's JD going for almost 10 an over.

Vettori is better but Monty is going to improve and has amazing potential. The number of catches the Kiwiz dropped towards the end was appauling andcost them the bonus point which may hurt them later on.

And Mal Loye is turning into another Afridi kind hit out or get out player. Atleast Afridi can bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread