Commonwealth Bank Series

Leicester Fox said:
Right just finished celebrating. now then great performance by the English today. Bopara should definately be played instead of Collers and joyce is quality. with KP back i know i'm an idiot but i believe we can win the world cup. (just my belief,don't persecute me!) and we were just the better side. This is the Australian second team though so i probably shouldn't read too much into it. Didn't stop me jumping up in the middle of the classroom and shouting yes when i read the results on my mobile though.

I'm sure it was you Joe I was trying to convince earlier in the thread that Joyce had what it takes to be international class and you weren't having any of it.

Good on ya' Joycie, he scored big runs in a crap side for Middlesex, there was no reason he couldn't do the same in another crap side in England :p

i definately didn't find Joyce international class but he proved me wrong. anyone who can score a century against Australia is a good player

Good to see some fight in the English leading to some success. They have been a better side than the results suggested all summer, except maybe the last couple of Tests and the ODI in Adelaide, where they were terrible.

Question on Collingwood, he seemed to be on the field a lot during the Aussie innings, but wasn't he meant to be out with a virus? Did they really drop Collingwood since he can't seem to make any runs against Australia now, but then bring him on to help in the field? That seems a bit sly to me...

The Nixon near run out of Symonds when he left his crease was interesting. Symonds strikes me as a very arrogant guy and honestly he probably deserves to be run out like that in the future the way he walks out of his crease. He didn't do much different the next few balls either - Nixon should have done it again.

sifter132 said:
Question on Collingwood, he seemed to be on the field a lot during the Aussie innings, but wasn't he meant to be out with a virus? Did they really drop Collingwood since he can't seem to make any runs against Australia now, but then bring him on to help in the field? That seems a bit sly to me...

The Nixon near run out of Symonds when he left his crease was interesting. Symonds strikes me as a very arrogant guy and honestly he probably deserves to be run out like that in the future the way he walks out of his crease. He didn't do much different the next few balls either - Nixon should have done it again.

I think they felt that Collingwood wouldn't have been able to bat for say 35 overs if needed without feeling extremely drained. With the fielding he was only on so much because Loye took that nasty blow from McGrath so had to go have a scan.

Regarding that Nixon and Symonds thing, Gilchrist did something similar to KP, gave him a warning by throwing near the stumps, and told him to make sure he stays in his crease, which he did from then on.

Was some conflict when Hayden & Symonds were out there. All the English players were scared out of their boats and hiding behind Flintoff. Particulary that wicketkeeper Nixon.
I don't like that Sajid Mahmood either. For some reason, I always get a smile on my face when he usually gets carted.
England played well though. Outclassed us, we never looked in it and didn't look ourselves. Just went through the motions so to speak.
Ed Joyce set up the game after being dropped. His impressed me with how his bounced back after such a bad start to his career; good on him.
Plunkett's wicket of Gilly first ball was another key and the wicket that fell shortly after of Hodge really had our batsman having to build & retablish our innings and his wicket of Clarke was a bit lucky aswell; bowling at the end to the tailenders might've helped his cause ecomically; Joyce deserved MOM more.

This should fire our players up and hopefully we go out and really take NZ down.

Backing away? Nixon was right in the thick of it!

Also, our players where all over Hayden as a unit when another kerfuffle broke out in 2005 so it's not a question of our commitment really; It just really wasn't an issue.

it seemed like mahmood got into haydens face after getting him out
when cameras tuned to them mahmood was jumping around right infront of hayden and then hayden walked the other way

The smart thing to do is back off and that's what Nixon did, he didn't come anywhere near Symonds or Hayden but he was still intent of running his mouth. It's quite funny when you look at their credibility compared to Nixon's.
Hayden always carts allround Mahmood and ends up throwing his wicket away to him; nothing new there. Bit've shame though, he was beginning to take the entire England bowling attack apart through point. His no Simon Katich.
The only person who even comtemplated confronting Hayden in 2005 was Collingwood.

Jones and Strauss too. Even Vaughan joined in as well! Hayden may be big, but we aren't scared of him.

well theres not much to be scared of. he can't hurt you! the bowlers are the ones throwing the ball at them!

Jones walked back down to fine leg didn't he?

Well he can hurt and not only mentally but physically; didn't you see what could've happened to James Anderson in that Twenty20 match? :p
Whacked it straight and hard and almost beheaded him!
Shoaib Akhtar's tried to hit Hayden in the head before but that only resulted in Hayden charging him and dispatching him over the mid-on boundary out of the Pakistan stadium!

wfdu_ben91 said:
Shoaib Akhtar's tried to hit Hayden in the head before but that only resulted in Hayden charging him and dispatching him over the mid-on boundary out of the Pakistan stadium!
have you forgotten the rope shoaib had around haydens neck in 2005 winter tour in aus?

Users who are viewing this thread