Commonwealth Bank Series

puddleduck said:
One positive I guess England can take from this, is that with both sides missing some key players, in Australias case voluntary, less so in ours, we actually put up a fight.

And Plunkett too. He looked pretty good against NZ, just a little bit rusty from not having any matches. I'd say he's booked himself a spot for the World Cup.

-> With his age, pace and movement, he has huge potential. Mahmood though, I don't believe has that potential.

irottev said:
You realise that Australia field their best side against us. Ponting, Lee, Bracken, McGrath, everyone. Those 4 have been rested at times against you guys or injured. That's respect.
Does that mean that NZ Respect England more than Australia then? As you tend to wheel Bond out for his weekly workout against us, since he started to crack around the edges again.

MUFC1987 said:
Does that mean that NZ Respect England more than Australia then? As you tend to wheel Bond out for his weekly workout against us, since he started to crack around the edges again.

He rested that one match because of the 40 degree heat and because 2 games in 3 days takes his toll on his body. His record is ironically much worse against England then it is against Australia.

He has said he's never felt better. No issues with him at the moment.

irottev said:
And Plunkett too. He looked pretty good against NZ, just a little bit rusty from not having any matches. I'd say he's booked himself a spot for the World Cup.

Yeah I like Plunkett. He's got potential with the bat which is a nice bonus, can certainly give the ball a whack, and has a decent eye. His main strength though is obviously his bowling, and I feel with work and experience he can offer a similar threat to someone like McGrath or Clark. He generally gets nice shape, and seems to kiss the ball off the pitch. He's upped his pace by about 5 mphs on a consistent basis and when he's bowling well keeps the ball in good areas.

Still has a way to go before he gets anywhere near those two quicks, but the potential is certainly there and I certainly think he has a bigger future than Mahmood or Lewis.

Anyway, I'm knackered now, time for bed!

John Adams said:
Don't worry mate, England surely will come good again one day soon :) just a rough patch lately..

See how right I was? I'm more happy for the English fans than for the English team, that they won. I know how hard it's been on you all...

irottev said:

-> With his age, pace and movement, he has huge potential. Mahmood though, I don't believe has that potential.

Saj has plenty of talent. Maybe not as much as Plunkett but he's still got enough potential to be an England bowler.

Everyone chipped in today and we got to nearly 300 without Freddy firing. Joyce did really well and his partnership with Bell was vital. The first ball of the 2nd innings set the tone, so important to get Gilly early. Monty didn't bowl too well, about 3 mph too quick, didn't bowl at the stumps enough for the right handers either.

Can't complain too much though as it was a fantastic result.

Symonds has 6 weeks until the WC starts to get his bicep sorted out. If it's a proper pull he might miss the practice games and maybe the first game or two. If it's a strain he should be fine and dandy.

irottev said:
It's all good for England to set a good total and put pressure on, but bowling first in those conditions and having to bat unde rlights. Well, it would have been much harder for them.

If is a big word. We won the toss and made the right decision. Nice to be able to have the opportunity to decide what we're going to do.

That long out hmmm, thats going to put huge pressure on our batters not to get injured as we're have no more replacements for them. Hogg would have to go in as a batter.

irottev said:
Maybe Flintoff should have got MOTM. He won the match with the toss?

Just my opinion that Plunkett deserved it.

Is anyone else sick of the bowlers not getting MOTM?

I am, but One Day cricket is a batsmans game, why they increase the powerplay overs, etc.

Plunkett was very good today, but I think Joyce's hundred set up the game.

aussie1st said:
That long out hmmm, thats going to put huge pressure on our batters not to get injured as we're have no more replacements for them. Hogg would have to go in as a batter.

It's not a definite, but Symo is hardly going to over-react like a footballer, scans should reveal more. His reactions suggested it was bad though.

Griffo said:
lol imagine if the english won a match which counted

lol imagine if the Aussies didn't win an Ashes by injuries.

It doesn't work does it, Griffo?

Of course the match counted, don't try telling me Australia weren't going out to win the game today because that's not how Australia do things, especially vs the old enemy.

Sureshot said:
It's not a definite, but Symo is hardly going to over-react like a footballer, scans should reveal more. His reactions suggested it was bad though.

now that is the difference between a football player and a cricket player

WORLD CHAMPIONS said:
What happened to Symonds tonight ?

He just clasped at his arm. Bicep seems. He was in pain. And he's a strong lad, so it must be serious. I hope he gets well soon. Yea just so strange that these days the cricketers have rest days etc., and still get injured. Just happens I know, but it's strange...

Last edited:
Sureshot said:
lol imagine if the Aussies didn't win an Ashes by injuries.

It doesn't work does it, Griffo?

Of course the match counted, don't try telling me Australia weren't going out to win the game today because that's not how Australia do things, especially vs the old enemy.

Yeah lol bit of a retarded comment there Griffo.........but in 2005 remember Aussies were a bit injury prone no McGrath for a few matches and some others which I cant remember........yh the bowlers we smashed around Kasper, Dizzy......there was no Clark there whos as effective as McGrath.

Anyway ha ha we finally won, I dont see why the Australians should be sore at least theyv got their challenge.......right?

Punk Sk8r! said:
Anyway ha ha we finally won, I dont see why the Australians should be sore at least theyv got their challenge.......right?

Exactly! You saw how the crowd at Adelaide wasn't happy at all at Englands performance there. About time we had some good cricket by England. Yes a hard fought win is always more meaningfull than an easy win...

I was a bit surprised by Ravi's bowling. I was expecting it to be around 70ish, but he was pushing high 70s and not that different from Lewis, he got good movement too and of course the huge wicket of Hussey.

Though why Nixon batted ahead of him only Fletch knows.

Users who are viewing this thread