Commonwealth Bank Series

I wouldn't say Lee. he's not as really quick as he used to be. you'll rarely see him go over 95 mph and Akhtar doesn't count because he's on drugs :p

Stop harping on about pace will you? It's not the only thing a fast bowler needs. Look at McGrath; Best fast bowler in the world and 85mph was his limit.

Griffo said:
he is out and out the fastest bowler in the world and averages 25 in first class cricket does that not count for anything?

If you can't control the ball at international level, then your first class record means bugger all.

Griffo said:
How many games have you seen him play?
Well I've seen him bowl 3 times live this Australian summer and twice in the ashes 2005.

And, evo's right. What is the point of being able to bowl at 95mph+ if you are bowling half volleys and putting pace on the ball for batsmen to guide to the boundary. I'd rather have a 80mph bowler who takes 2-30 from 10 overs, than a 95mph bowler who takes 2-60 from 10 overs.

It's still more entertaining to watch someone bowling at 90 mph as opposed to 80mph

Leicester Fox said:
It's still more entertaining to watch someone bowling at 90 mph as opposed to 80mph
Perhaps for the neutral, but as an England fan I would prefer to see someone like Jon Lewis keeping it tight, than Saj Mahmood being hit to all parts.

I remember seeing Chris Broad's great innings in the Bicentenary Test Match in early 1988. Steve Waugh finally bowled him with a slower ball and he then smashed the stumps with his bat, out of disapointment, and was then fined thousands of pounds sterling. Can't remember the figure.

Sorry for going off topic, but with seeing the name Broad often here, I just had to mention this ;)

his lack of accuracy can work for him if he doesnt know where the ball is going to go how the hell is the batsmen gonna know and stop judging him on his first game if you judged people on there first game steve waugh would have been a brilliant medium pacer with no batting talent to speak of

I'm also judging him on the two Tests he played against us in 2005...

Your comment on lack of accuracy being a good thing is rather foolish too.

evertonfan said:
Yeah but Broad doesn't have accuracy or consistency either.

just because he had a bad series against Pakistan doesn't mean he's a bad bowler. he has bowled really well in his most recent county championship games and he definately was accurate. You should have seen him aganist Derbyshire he was like an English McGrath :p

Shaun Tait probably won't have a long international career anyway (well, a stop-start one), until he sorts his action out.

Leicester Fox said:
just because he had a bad series against Pakistan doesn't mean he's a bad bowler. he has bowled really well in his most recent county championship games and he definately was accurate. You should have seen him aganist Derbyshire he was like an English McGrath :p

I've never called him a bad bowler. He needs to work a lot on is accuracy and consistency to get back into the England set-up. At the moment I wouldn't drop any of our bowlers for him.

Drewska said:
Shaun Tait probably won't have a long international career anyway (well, a stop-start one), until he sorts his action out.

Maybe, maybe not. If his shoulder is strong enough to bowl it at 95mph then it may be able to withstand a whole career without many injuries.

Users who are viewing this thread