hussey
clarke
symonds
white
hogg
lee
clark
johnson

Just curious, what is White in the line-up for?... his bowling or batting.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're talking about after this series and the world cup Gambino? Because you surely can't leave McGrath out for them!

Dr.Cricket said:

Obviously batting.
They probably will rest McGrath somewhere in the series, I want to see how Clark goes in the ODI arena as hes on fire in the Test arena.

Ive never understood how mcgrath can be so economical in ODI's.
Surely all it takes is a decent batsmen with good footwork and kahunas to take him on.
Everyone knows what line he is going to bowl and where it will pitch.
So give yourself room to free the arms and take him on.

That's how good a bowler he is Sman, and indeed how good international batsman are in comparison to us mere mortals. Even they can't just go out and smash someone about who is bowling at 80mph in the right areas. It's not just that he puts it in the same place, he also has the ability to put it pretty much anywhere on a whim, so if the batsman tries to take him on he more often than not will alter his line or length to counter it. On top of that he gets just enough seam movement to mean that the ball isn't quite where your brain would calculate it being and as such finds an edge.

puddleduck said:
That's how good a bowler he is Sman, and indeed how good international batsman are in comparison to us mere mortals. Even they can't just go out and smash someone about who is bowling at 80mph in the right areas. It's not just that he puts it in the same place, he also has the ability to put it pretty much anywhere on a whim, so if the batsman tries to take him on he more often than not will alter his line or length to counter it. On top of that he gets just enough seam movement to mean that the ball isn't quite where your brain would calculate it being and as such finds an edge.

Yep that what makes McGrath so success in both forms of the game. Only a few times have we seen McGrath being expensive but more times than not the other bowlers make up for him. What seems to be more important is his presence as he lifts the bowlers around him. Like the Champions trophy final, I suspect him being there helped Bracken do what he did, now compare this to when hes not there and you get World Records flying all over the place.

Dr.Cricket said:
Batting definately. Good batsmen, but there is alot of talk over his bowling, because he is a front line bowler, but a crap frontline bowler.

cricketmad09 said:
.....but there is alot of talk over his bowling, because he is a front line bowler, but a crap frontline bowler.
Wow, that coming from a Victorian, Bill Lawry would be shocked... :p

Dr.C

I take you haven't seen White bowl? Keep a close eye on the CBS when Ponting gives him his usual 2 over spell. I know exactly what White is bowling because I bowl exactly the same way.

I take it you havent either. His stats back me up, and even the old man, who has umpired him, says he is useless as a bowler.

cricketmad09 said:
I take it you havent either. His stats back me up, and even the old man, who has umpired him, says he is useless as a bowler.

What? Where did I say he was a good bowler?
And would have I been able to make the following statement (I know exactly what White is bowling because I bowl exactly the same way) if I've never seen him bowl? :rolleyes:

aussie1st said:
I know exactly what White is bowling because I bowl exactly the same way

Umpire: "What you bowling Sly?"

Sly: "Right arm rubbish" :p

Users who are viewing this thread