Commonwealth Bank Series

As an England fan I'm looking forward to see how Monty Panesar performs in the ODI format of the game. We arn't actually that bad as in The champions Trophy against Australia we were 80 odd for nothing and then we lost it and got bowled out. At least we have got rid of Harmison who is getting smashed everywhere at the minute in ODI's and Tests. Just hoping for a better performance from the boys! But I won't get it!

When we put out best side on the park, we are up there as one of the best sides. It's just getting Bondy, Oram, Scotty and Millsy on the field.If we can do alright the first few games, we will have a shot once the latter 3 players come over.

Just looking at some stats for ODis for England in 2006, our leading wicket taker was Saj Mahmood with 16... Fred barely played.

Bell and KP both averaged over 40 with 5 half centuries each, we played 16 ODIs compared to most others who played more than us (Bangla played 28).

Our bowling should be a little more stable now Harmison has gone.

Lewis, Anderson, Flintoff, Panesar and JD would be my selection.

irottev said:
When we put out best side on the park, we are up there as one of the best sides. It's just getting Bondy, Oram, Scotty and Millsy on the field.If we can do alright the first few games, we will have a shot once the latter 3 players come over.

Can't believe you included Kyle '20 an over' Mills in that! The other three I might agree with...

I'm surprised Stuart Broad isn't in the ODI squad. His 37 average in this form of the game does not show how good he can be IMO.

barmyarmy said:
Can't believe you included Kyle '20 an over' Mills in that! The other three I might agree with...

When was that? He was awesome in the Champions trophy one of the best bowlers in the tournament.

nightprowler10 said:
I'm surprised Stuart Broad isn't in the ODI squad. His 37 average in this form of the game does not show how good he can be IMO.

It would have been good to see how good Broad is.

Hopefully NZ play a little better than they did last night. Bowled out for 73 was it? Lost by nearly 200 I think. Apparently Vaas showed them up with the ball, perhaps Bracken could do a similar sort of job for Aussies.

And Vaughan is going to captain the ODI team. Good idea I say. For starters, he's a batsmen - I think they make better captains than bowlers and given the 2005 Ashes he is streets ahead of Freddy as a captain.

NZ more prone to swinging than ours so we probably won't see figures of 3-8 after 10 overs.

Vaughan's captaincy will be a big plus but hes never been much of an ODI player, lets see how his latest stint goes.

Even though we've never been a good Odi side it shows the difference Vaughan makes when we reached the final of the champions trophy and we also drew with Australia and even beat them in a few games when they toured England. He may be one the worst Odi batsman in world cricket, but he is one of the best captains and just having him in the side seems to improve the performances of those around him.

aussie1st said:
There is a 3rd team though ;) NZ seem to be the new Pakistan, they can be brilliant one day and then poor the next. The thing with NZ is they always lift when they play us and Bond loves smashing over our stumps so I expect a good contest when NZ are full strength.
I was rating New Zealand highly in this series and still do but not as highly unless they improve in there next few ODI's, even though you cant really say anything about 1 match they need to have full confidence before playing the Australians

I wouldn't read too much in the recent NZ ODI series against Sri Lanka. The series is locked at 2 all but they have been no where near full strength whereas Sri Lanka has and Sri Lanka are to me the 3rd best ODI nation now behind Aus and Sth. Africa.

puddleduck said:
Even though we've never been a good Odi side it shows the difference Vaughan makes when we reached the final of the champions trophy and we also drew with Australia and even beat them in a few games when they toured England. He may be one the worst Odi batsman in world cricket, but he is one of the best captains and just having him in the side seems to improve the performances of those around him.

Agreed, Vaughan brings in some sort of aura I guess and his mentality and attitude lifts the team. Flintoff was far too defensive in the test series while Vaughan is semi-aggressive I guess but also makes subtle tactics which are effective. Don't think he will do too well with the bat (if he opens I reckon he will average roughly around his career average) but expect him to do well as captain.

If the NZ batsmen can't handle Vaas and Malinga i have no idea how they'll cope with Lee, McGrath, Bracken, Johnson, Clark, Anderson, Flintoff and Mahmood throughout the tournament. Yes perhaps the ball swings less in Australia but give Brett Lee a white ball under lights and he is menacing.

That's a good point, but it might have just been a little bad luck. Fleming called it "rubbish" obviously pointing out that it was well below what he expected.

Users who are viewing this thread