IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Alastair Cook departs as England one-day captain - Telegraph

This isn't perfect since Morgan's playing like shit at the moment as well, but at least it means we can bring in Hales to open. Apparently Gary Ballance is the person replacing Cook in the squad; which isn't too bad but is a very "England" decision, if you know what I mean!

Its a little dissapoointing that Ireland aren't in England's group for the World Cup though: it'd have been funny to see them beat an England team lead by an Irishman!

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Hopefully if this is true it gives Morgan a bit more confidence. Notably he came off in the game that he captained, an inform Morgan can do the middle orders complete job by himself most of the time!

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
They should have made Joe Root captain. He is someone who can perform that role for long term and will eventually take it over in tests.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Root has practically no captaincy experience therefore I don't think a tough tri-series and a world cup especially how we're playing at the moment is the best place to get a taste of international (or any really) captaincy really.

Morgan seems to perform when he's captain so a chance for him to regain form perhaps as well.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
There's hope, because Eoin Morgan averages 71 with the bat as ODI captain, but the two key words are "sample size"

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Haha, that's good for Cook. It didn't seem either he was intended to let his leadership go after a bunch failure in ODIs. ECB have came with this too lately, a strict decision that should have been made months ago but it's good for them nevertheless. Btw England's this side seems too unexperienced and they're almost a weakened side playing in world cup 2015. They certainly will have to deal with a big mess in world cup anyway.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Hales/Bell
Ali
Taylor
Root
Morgan*
Bopara
Buttler+
Woakes
Broad
Tredwell
Anderson

Seems to be the most likely starting lineup now.

grkrama

National Board President
just one change and eng actually look a pretty good odi side now especially with broad and Anderson coming in.[DOUBLEPOST=1419084589][/DOUBLEPOST]anybody interested in [HASHTAG]#bringbackCook[/HASHTAG] campaign :p .. personally i feel the guy has been made a perfect scapegoat for all the ecb debacle over the year, though he brought most of it on himself by backing the KP decision.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
an England team lead by an Irishman!
This just doesn't seem right, I don't like it. Broad should've got the captaincy.

Don't get me wrong, Morgan is a very talented batsman but an Irishman leading the English cricket team just doesn't feel right.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I think if you've got a squad then you should pick the best captaincy material from it. Broad looked dreadful in the role in the few games hes done and Morgan comes across as a much more tactically aware player. He's playing for England, so I don't see what's any different or wrong with him being the English captain.

D

Deleted member 149013

Alastair Cook departs as England one-day captain - Telegraph

This isn't perfect since Morgan's playing like shit at the moment as well, but at least it means we can bring in Hales to open. Apparently Gary Ballance is the person replacing Cook in the squad; which isn't too bad but is a very "England" decision, if you know what I mean!

Its a little dissapoointing that Ireland aren't in England's group for the World Cup though: it'd have been funny to see them beat an England team lead by an Irishman!
Its a little dissapoointing that Ireland aren't in England's group for the World Cup though: it'd have been funny to see them beat an England team lead by an Irishman! That thought never occurred to me an Irishman in charge you tend to see him as English it would be funny to see, I Think there is a crisis with English cricket taking players from other countries its just not right. Ballance is a talent but really should be playing for Zimbabwe. ECB should pull there socks up

Last edited by a moderator:

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Its a little dissapoointing that Ireland aren't in England's group for the World Cup though: it'd have been funny to see them beat an England team lead by an Irishman! That thought never occurred to me an Irishman in charge you tend to see him as English it would be funny to see, I Think there is a crisis with English cricket taking players from other countries its just not right. Ballance is a talent but really should be playing for Zimbabwe. ECB should pull there socks up

Would be called discrimination however if they announced they didn't pick him because he was born in Zimbabwe.

If anyone is going to tighten up on it it's got to be the ICC.

D

Deleted member 149013

1.Robson
2.Balance
3.Trott
4.Kp
5.Morgan (c)
6.Joyce
7.Kieswetter (wk)
8.Jordan
9.D.Pattinson (? grew up in Aus)
10.Rankin
11.Dernbach

In ten years time a situation may present itself where it might be 3 or 4 English born players playing for there country had you said that in 2004 it would of been laughed off. Strauss born in South Africa, I am concerned to why we can't produce our own cricketers

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
strauss was born to english parents and lived the vast majority of his life in england though. nationality is much more complex than "where were you born?", its also about what nationality your parents are, and other things. Also someone who goes to England while young and has developed in England has a right to consider themselves English if they wish and play for England in whatever sport they wish. Like Chris Jordan played First Class cricket in England for five years before he played for any of the West Indian teams: and lots of that will be from his education in England. Why shouldn't he have a right to play for the country that developed him into a good cricket player and the country that he first played First Class cricket in? Its not like it doesn't affect Scotland: Matt Machan is exactly a true blooded Scotsman...

Also why would the Irish captain play for England? Pattinson hasn't played First Class cricket for a few years as well I'm sure...

D

Deleted member 149013

Ireland I feel sorry for them they are trying to establish themselves and we keep taking there players. So the next world tournament played and a young Irish talent plays chances are England will lure him with better money and better opportunities. I don't mind the odd player like Imran Tahir for South Africa, or maybe have 2 players at max but you have to draw a line somewhere otherwise we are not England but the British Empire X11. There is a loyalty to your country or adapted country this I am not questioning or the fact of where you were born that makes your nationality. I am just pointing out the fact that England should not be in this position of stealing players from other countries.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread