Cricket 19 General Discussion

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I think that could wind up with horrible results and having them lobbing four and sixes over the infield. I find when they get to green confidence they'll start smashing it anyway. It's more about trying to have better outcomes from normal and aggressive grounded shots. At the moment it you get less power so the ball drops into the ground, the aggressive grounded shot always feels like a bit of sweaty shot because it rarely leads to a wicket unless you find an edge.

I'm all for realism in terms of early or late shots having realistic outcomes, but if they need to cheat a little to have a few more catches popping up to the infield then I doubt anyone would complain.

As long as everything is linked to skills and attributes and players acting like they really do (obviously given the variants involved in this game), then I don't mind if it's scripted or how it works really.

SO I had another instance of an AI player edging absolutely everything but never getting out. Hazlewood, 30 odd of 70 balls. It was on a tiny ground (North Sydney).

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
There isnt a physics system to get that kind of realism into the game.. So its basically for this you get this kind of a game.. Thats the reason I strongly feel BA needs to assign proper shots to deliveries for the AI and have depth in the batting animations also make sure right shot pops in the right delivery.. So with that we can look into the ball behaviour physics to see what needs to be done..

Things like playing in an angled bat is risky needs to be shown with the graphics, bat was swung way too early hence the catch happened should also be shown.. We need a base where we know what went wrong.. Its all some delivery I am gonna edge regardless kind of gameplay now..

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Remember that patch where the AI batsman edged everything on just user created stadiums?

perhaps this happened when I wasn’t playing much, but I play exclusively in custom stadiums and I really don’t remember this.

I think the physics in the game is unreliable and unrealistic, and generally this doesn’t have too detrimental an impact, but it’s combined with scripting as a crutch for the AI in tests to prevent or minimise ring catch and outfield catches. This is rather unfortunate but I’m not considering it a game breaker in the way removing bowleds was in DBC17. I know your position on it is different and I respect that.

As a player I always get more satisfaction in bowleds, lbws and edges and I like that these are the majority of dismissals.

Lack of using their feet to come down the track to spinner is my biggest peeve by a mile. They are sitting ducks and eventually will always edge one for a bat pad or caught behind. You’re never really in a battle as a spinner and captain over length/speed to bowl or where to position out fielders. That genuinely sucks.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
perhaps this happened when I wasn’t playing much, but I play exclusively in custom stadiums and I really don’t remember this.

I think the physics in the game is unreliable and unrealistic, and generally this doesn’t have too detrimental an impact, but it’s combined with scripting as a crutch for the AI in tests to prevent or minimise ring catch and outfield catches. This is rather unfortunate but I’m not considering it a game breaker in the way removing bowleds was in DBC17. I know your position on it is different and I respect that.

As a player I always get more satisfaction in bowleds, lbws and edges and I like that these are the majority of dismissals.

Lack of using their feet to come down the track to spinner is my biggest peeve by a mile. They are sitting ducks and eventually will always edge one for a bat pad or caught behind. You’re never really in a battle as a spinner and captain over length/speed to bowl or where to position out fielders. That genuinely sucks.

Agreed, I remember MattW talking about this the other week where there is a tough fine line between arcade and simulation gameplay.

I do agree though, would like to see batsman use their feet. Would change the game ten fold I reckon.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

My position on dismissals is that the big ones should all be there. If they removed bowleds again I'd be even more annoyed and wouldn't play the game at all.

Do they never even move their feet in ODI's? That's nearly a dealbreaker for me, but not quite. Not good, but the rest of the cricket has been great.[DOUBLEPOST=1587560831][/DOUBLEPOST]
Agreed, I remember MattW talking about this the other week where there is a tough fine line between arcade and simulation gameplay.

I do agree though, would like to see batsman use their feet. Would change the game ten fold I reckon.

They have two games to deal with arcade v sim.. Big Bash Boom remember...

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
The thing that I'd like to see is drives with realistic power and elevation.

I'm a bit of a bore about this stuff so I'm going to spoiler tag it to keep the thread neat :

Quick example : he's Ian Botham smashing a straight (ish) drive at Perth in 86/7. Note that the front arm is fully extended on contact - that's how you generate power and leverage, by maximising the distance between your front shoulder and the middle of the bat, with orthodox driving technique. The red circle represents (roughly) the arc that the middle of the bat follows on a full power straight drive.

Note that the delivery is a half volley, low shin height, so he makes contact when the ball is level with his front pad, because that's where the arc of the middle of the bat passes through low shin height. And the ball stays on the deck, because the angle of the bat at point of contact is only just past the perpendicular.

bothamdrive.png

This is another drive, but this time the delivery is knee height - so he's hitting at a later point in the arc, because that's when the middle of the bat passes through knee height on a full swing. And the ball goes in the air, because the angle of the bat at that later point in the arc is further past the perpendicular. The height of the ball essentially determines the elevation, given that he's making a full swing and wants to make contact in the middle of the bat.

botham loft.png

If he'd made contact level with his pad instead, he'd either have to have cramped his front arm so the arc of the middle of the bat was smaller / higher - which reduces power considerably - or he'd have made a contact higher up the bat, again reducing power considerably. Even as it is, he's made contact a little bit high so the ball goes for 4 instead of 6, despite his huge natural power

Right, so if you imagine a straight delivery that's higher still : as the height increases, the middle of the bat contact point for a full, straight swing goes further out in front, and the angle of the bat goes further past the perpendicular and the elevation increases. Once the ball is much above your front knee, you're either going to get more height than distance, or a bad contact, or a cramped swing (unless you slog to the leg side to flatten the height of the arc, if you get what I mean).

There are wristy players out there who can generate unorthodox hitting arcs to all sorts of deliveries, but those arcs are unavoidably tight and difficult to time, less powerful and will pop up catching practice if the contact is bad.

Unfortunately cricket terminology conflates "timing" and "contact" quite a lot, when there are two distinct and independent concepts in there, both of which contribute to power and elevation.

Last edited:

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Tweaking and Tweaking away...

One thing I can definitely confirm is if you lower your bounce to ensure one of your X deliveries in hitting the stumps your amount of LBW’s and Bowleds will significantly increase.

Teams do tend to struggle more on customs ground in certain haha.

Apart from that even Brute players arnt getting our caught

AnkitC

International Coach
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

One thing I can definitely confirm is if you lower your bounce to ensure one of your X deliveries in hitting the stumps your amount of LBW’s and Bowleds will significantly increase.

Noice. Will lower the bounce. I tend to have very few of bowleds and lbws.

D

Dutch

Is that X on a PS controller? Is that A on an X box controller?

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
The thing that I'd like to see is drives with realistic power and elevation.

I'm a bit of a bore about this stuff so I'm going to spoiler tag it to keep the thread neat :
Thats the reason I feel we need 2 types of front foot drive animations , one where he leans into the ball and drives and then one where he is upright hitting the ball on the up..

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Here's a couple of examples of my bad batting but also the precise/lofted shot (chip shot) going wrong and how nice it looks.

Definitely feel like this needs to be what happens more often from AI and human player, particularly when Normal shots and Aggressive grounded shots are misqueued.

A little bit off topic, but when I became test captain in Career mode, I started using the chip lofted shot, as a way to deal with left arm over the wicket spinner, against my left handed batting all rounder. It has given me mostly very good returns so far. A satisfying boundary mostly.

Last edited:

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Thats the reason I feel we need 2 types of front foot drive animations , one where he leans into the ball and drives and then one where he is upright hitting the ball on the up..

I'm less concerned about animations and more concerned that the outcomes are realistic, given the delivery and the shot played. Similar concern, but not quite the same.

For instance, if you've got a delivery which is off stump and thigh or hip high / back of a length, and the batsman is on a normal guard and the shot selected is a front foot straight bat drive - esp if aiming straight or offside - the resulting shot should be weak or missed or popping up a catch, imo.

Animation wise, I think the game generally gets this scenario correct : it will display a shot where the ball makes contact high up on the bat. But result wise, it gets it wrong because you can still see the ball hit powerfully from that high contact.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'm less concerned about animations and more concerned that the outcomes are realistic, given the delivery and the shot played. Similar concern, but not quite the same.

For instance, if you've got a delivery which is off stump and thigh or hip high / back of a length, and the batsman is on a normal guard and the shot selected is a front foot straight bat drive - esp if aiming straight or offside - the resulting shot should be weak or missed or popping up a catch, imo.

Animation wise, I think the game generally gets this scenario correct : it will display a shot where the ball makes contact high up on the bat. But result wise, it gets it wrong because you can still see the ball hit powerfully from that high contact.

On the one hand I agree with you, on the other you’re reducing my scores and overs survived by 75%

Users who are viewing this thread