Cricket 24 - General Discussion

Are you telling me there is no one else in the entire cricketing world that doesn't want to try and make a cricket game? Why doesn't cricket 24 have any competition?

Stuff that they misjudged the fan feeling around?
I wonder what things he means.
Pitch deterioration that was in C22?
A working academy?
Fans at Lords not blowing weird sirens and horns?
Fielders that don't shuffle sideways instead of running for the ball?
Licensed players with the correct skills? I.e. Fast bowlers shouldn't be in the game as spinners.
I'm so excited!
I think he meant concentrating on licensing and what not.

Not sure if anyone plays football games, but in the early years of the PES vs FIFA games, FIFA went the license path with bad gameplay and PES had no licenses but great gameplay....

Unfortunately FIFA won...I wonder if Ross took a lesson from that

because its niche and not very easy to do well.Ea would never make their money back on it if they made a cricket game in the style of fifa.They don't even put nhl games on the pc .There is no other company that could even think about it.

I disagree that cricket is a niche sport...It's bigger than most if not all American sports...look at the population of India alone....

Unfortunately where it is niche is in nation that are more well off, thus the population has more $$ to spend (or waste) on things like games....the next few years will be interesting because of the massive cost of living increases in said places

There was always a way to get licensed teams on pes.Unfortunatly they went down a stupid route and banked everything on playing online.C24 doesn't need licenses as such the academy can cover most ,though its a gery area with copyright infingements ,more legit to get it done officially but we have a fudge rather than complete liceenses. what it does need though is the stadiums which can't be done properly because of the inadequate tools.I know this is difficulf for example i believe for NZ grounds you would have to get a separate deal for each venue which at the end of the day wouldn't make sense.Would be nice to have but probably won't increase sales much.

I think he meant concentrating on licensing and what not.

Not sure if anyone plays football games, but in the early years of the PES vs FIFA games, FIFA went the license path with bad gameplay and PES had no licenses but great gameplay....

Unfortunately FIFA won...I wonder if Ross took a lesson from that

FIFA won in the end because they adapted to the PS3 generation much better than PES did and improved their gameplay from garbage tier to playable tier while PES neglected it and tried to go for their own few licenses believing it was the way.
Post automatically merged:

There was always a way to get licensed teams on pes.Unfortunatly they went down a stupid route and banked everything on playing online.C24 doesn't need licenses as such the academy can cover most ,though its a gery area with copyright infingements ,more legit to get it done officially but we have a fudge rather than complete liceenses. what it does need though is the stadiums which can't be done properly because of the inadequate tools.I know this is difficulf for example i believe for NZ grounds you would have to get a separate deal for each venue which at the end of the day wouldn't make sense.Would be nice to have but probably won't increase sales much.

I believe it’s a similar case in India as the individual state associations own the stadium rights for the most part.

I disagree that cricket is a niche sport...It's bigger than most if not all American sports...look at the population of India alone....

Unfortunately where it is niche is in nation that are more well off, thus the population has more $$ to spend (or waste) on things like games....the next few years will be interesting because of the massive cost of living increases in said places
cricket games are niche.The whole world will play a driving game.The potential customers for a cricket game on a console or pc is much less.I don't have access to the console figures but i bet more people play madden than play cricket 24.
On steam 4886 people are playing madden 24 now .The most that ever played cricket 22 at same was 514.That maybe double if ea make a game but it won't get near madden figures,

what do people here think the best cricket game is in the last 10 years or so. and if you had to buy one today which one would you. last i played was ashes 2019

cricket games are niche.The whole world will play a driving game.The potential customers for a cricket game on a console or pc is much less.I don't have access to the console figures but i bet more people play madden than play cricket 24.
On steam 4886 people are playing madden 24 now .The most that ever played cricket 22 at same was 514.That maybe double if ea make a game but it won't get near madden figures,
I'm talking about the sport itself..

For instance, someone in Germany isn't likely to pick up a rugby league game, but would be more likely to get a football game because they know the sport

FIFA won in the end because they adapted to the PS3 generation much better than PES did and improved their gameplay from garbage tier to playable tier while PES neglected it and tried to go for their own few licenses believing it was the way.

I believe it’s a similar case in India as the individual state associations own the stadium rights for the most part.
Well said, I forgot about PES doing that...old age is hitting hard

This is true, but the major reason why FIFA improved and PES didn't is because EA had way more money than Konami to put into development. Plus, advertising and licenses did make a difference. Konami did a good job of getting licenses that appealed to the core soccer fan, as well as regions of potential sales growth - South America, the Middle East, and Asia. But in the end, they couldn't keep up with their better funded competition once the keeping up graphically and engine development got so expensive in the PS3 and PS4 era.

PES tried to keep up, but there was a AAA game that people could see was a more polished and complete product. You can survive in a niche without competition as a small company, but the ambitions have to be reasonable - you can't compete with EA Sports ICC Cricket 25 and it's hard to win back fans if you have technical problems that prevent people from playing the game (i.e., crashes and seasons that lock up and cannot be completed).

I played a whole T20 match. Downloaded Eng and Nz from @Slug1793 .. Loved assigning bats, gloves and pads to players and how good they look and took sometime to ensure their names are correct ..Few were already made by @Slug1793 ..

Here are my thoughts:

1.Gameplay definitely is smooth compared to C22.
2. The sound of the bat hitting the ball especially for aggressive shots is nice and not like tennis racquet.
3. I could see few balls spun by spinners.
4. Contrast is bit too high..I tried adjusting but no help..its not like you can't play but after few overs you get adjusted and when you play under the lights it feels nice..
5. Batting style 7, I love it..the stance and the strokes are good..I saw Elliot drove a spinner for 1 run to long on. He looked so controlled when he played that. I have a video of that and will upload in sometime.

Fielding bugs:

1. So I had 2 batters run out by keeper. It happens when you try to play a bouncer and miss it and the batsman walks out and there the keeper takes his chance to run out.

2. Twice it happened that no fielder picked up the ball and I could run how much ever I want to..Had to close the game and restart.

3. Fielders at boundary run across or outside the boundary rope which is not useful in stopping boundaries.

Others:

The cut scenes after wickets and boundaries where they display "Wicket, Four, Six and C24" is in my opinion is time taking

Commentary is not good but love the enthu from Gilchrist which is nice..1st 2 overs Gilchrist and Mel were doing the commentary and suddenly there is another commentator who is talking and it felt it was just copy paste from C22 because his voice tone compared to Gilchrist and Mel had a huge difference, it makes you feel someone just played it in a tape recorder..

I scored a six, let me know if this is a new shot..It felt nice..

This is true, but the major reason why FIFA improved and PES didn't is because EA had way more money than Konami to put into development. Plus, advertising and licenses did make a difference. Konami did a good job of getting licenses that appealed to the core soccer fan, as well as regions of potential sales growth - South America, the Middle East, and Asia. But in the end, they couldn't keep up with their better funded competition once the keeping up graphically and engine development got so expensive in the PS3 and PS4 era.

PES tried to keep up, but there was a AAA game that people could see was a more polished and complete product. You can survive in a niche without competition as a small company, but the ambitions have to be reasonable - you can't compete with EA Sports ICC Cricket 25 and it's hard to win back fans if you have technical problems that prevent people from playing the game (i.e., crashes and seasons that lock up and cannot be completed).

KONAMI aren’t a small company though. Compared to EA they are but by no means are they incapable of standing up in the scene if they wished to. I do agree that the main reason they were able to stand out for so long was because EA was screwing things up and once they got that sorted out KONAMI had to step up big time and they couldn’t in the end. They were also guilty of mismanagement especially with that Fox Engine move which gave them graphical superiority at the cost of engine complexity.

Still miss their games though. I regret not getting their last ever single player release which is well supported on the modding scene.

Speaking of PES… I really do wish BA gave us increased modding capabilities outside of their in-game tools like the former allowed. You could add new balls, various other equipment, modify the menus, overlays and most importantly add crowd sounds yourself. Some of the issues the game currently faces could be sorted out via the modding scene if they could open up their game to those possibilities which isn’t easy but will be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread