Cricket 24 - General Discussion

Here I was talking about Adam Gilchrist's commentary, and the regional stadium crowd/atmospheric audio. Obviously a lot of people aren't as happy with them as I was, but I've had the different region crowds as something I've wanted for a long time and was happy this game got to deliver it - the audio guys who work on it have taken on board a lot of feedback and are re-balancing and adjusting it to make it better. Likewise Gilchrist's commentary, I hear it from a delivery standpoint - he to me sounds really natural in game compared to the sometimes stilted delivery of some commentators who can't quite make the jump between live and video game. I think his commentary adds a lot, but there's work to be done on making the lines more accurate in terms of triggers and context.
Regarding audio, crowd noise really needs to be looked at. The noise is extremely inconsistent and goes up and down in completely random times. there should be infield noises too on all plays and misses (and also from the crowd). there should be encouragement from the wicketkeepers to the bowlers or fielders. right now if i turn up the sound to play the game, it just sounds like white noise that alexa plays when i sleep.

The crowd should be hyped up at the beginning of a match/innings. there should be a slow ramp up of noise as the bowler approaches the crease. when a batsman hit a 4 piercing the infield a similar but faster ramp up of crowd reaction should be there. If a batsman seems to be in aggressive form crowd should be constantly hyped up as if ever ball is an opportunity for 4 or 6. same way if a batsman is struggling for a few balls, crowd should get hyped up too expecting a wicket any ball. Ball hit on the air no matter where should get the crowds excited with a higher decibel of sound if the catch is caught or dropped or goes over the boundary. Good fielding should be encouraged by wicketkeepers/bowlers and crowd. specially when a close boundary is saved. These shouldn't be hard to implement. I don't even want you guys to complicate this by thinking about whether it's the home team or away team and who the crowd should root for. just get the basic sounds right. all other complications can be added later in another iteration for all I care.

@MattW Thanks for your reply. Appreciated. And I can imagine that you are sick and tired of the negativity and of course any calls for anyone to be fired or whatever is indeed totally disgusting and has been moderated upon here. I myself have been sympathetic to the many hard working people who are trying to do their job to the best of their abilities within the context of the workplace.

I also stand by my posts that call into question of the way in which communication and feedback is handled. There seems to be a ravine between the 'community' (whatever that may be perceived to be) and the developers and any criticism even when justified is either seen as an attack or is dealt in a way that gives one the sense of being at fault for not understanding what they are seeing on their screen.

As with many places on this internet of ours things can get toxic very quickly and I can imagine people just switching off if they are dealing with abuse and unjustified negativity.

But the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater.

I am certain that many many people would be understanding and accomodating if they were kept in the loop more, helped to understand why things are the way they are.

The game boasts to be the best simulation of the sport, the game the way we want it to be and stuff like that. From the feedback and criticism from many purchasers of the game it seems they dont feel that to be the case and feel as if they have been given an old game for the price of a new one.

I for one would greatly appreciate a more open and candid conversation leading up towards the release of a game so people really know what they are buying into otherwise people are left with a sour tatste in the mouth and perhaps dont even care to see the good things which are there as well.

I appreciate this isnt your task but I think a better communication would make a better game and a better community experience.
Has there been a lot of disgusting comments and a calls for the team to get fired in this thread?? Seems a tad odd for him to focus entirely on those few trolls when the vast majority is legit criticisms.

I dunno, I’ve seen similar responses from Ross and it just irks me when devs do this. Instead of responding to the fair criticisms of the game, they focus on the few nasty responses and then say that is the reason that they don’t engage or communicate. It’s just such a copout.

It’s further frustrating when the communication has been factually terrible and the game launches in a poor state (missing promised features) and they either get defensive or selectively respond. It solves nothing and further alienates the fans and community.

I know some of the guys and I myself have started making a game, so I’ve seen it from the “other” side….and I still feel the same. But maybe I should just shut my mouth on the latter.

Has there been a lot of disgusting comments and a calls for the team to get fired in this thread?? Seems a tad odd for him to focus entirely on those few trolls when the vast majority is legit criticisms.

I dunno, I’ve seen similar responses from Ross and it just irks me when devs do this. Instead of responding to the fair criticisms of the game, they focus on the few nasty responses and then say that is the reason that they don’t engage or communicate. It’s just such a copout.

It’s further frustrating when the communication has been factually terrible and the game launches in a poor state (missing promised features) and they either get defensive or selectively respond. It solves nothing and further alienates the fans and community.

I know some of the guys and I myself have started making a game, so I’ve seen it from the “other” side….and I still feel the same. But maybe I should just shut my mouth on the latter.

I’ve said the same in the past, devs have two ways to go about it. Either they give visibility to the negative voices further amplifying them unintentionally or they choose to take a more proactive stance on communication and meet the community somewhere in the middle. I’ve almost never seen further negative reaction to the latter if done properly unless it’s a case of a repeat offender because the gaming community by large has a short memory.

I haven’t quoted much of Matt’s responses in this thread or talked about them for the exact reason he mentioned of his words being taken out of context as representative of the company line but I can’t help look at his words after he said those landing in the wrong way on other social media platforms by accounts he openly calls weird (which I completely agree with). The fact that BA have allowed such voices to be out there spreading random untrue news is proof enough that they’ve dropped the ball hard on both marketing and communication. For it to be openly acknowledged too is even more concerning.

Valid points indeed and as far as I am concerned the only power ‘we’ as paying customers have is to open our mouths so carry on…

But at the end of the day there has to be willingness to engage in communication and the ball is in BA’s court and the bed may be a bit shiity at first but they made the bed. If they are able to actually acknowledge the frustration of customers then the ball will be back in our court…

Regarding audio, crowd noise really needs to be looked at. The noise is extremely inconsistent and goes up and down in completely random times. there should be infield noises too on all plays and misses (and also from the crowd). there should be encouragement from the wicketkeepers to the bowlers or fielders. right now if i turn up the sound to play the game, it just sounds like white noise that alexa plays when i sleep.

The crowd should be hyped up at the beginning of a match/innings. there should be a slow ramp up of noise as the bowler approaches the crease. when a batsman hit a 4 piercing the infield a similar but faster ramp up of crowd reaction should be there. If a batsman seems to be in aggressive form crowd should be constantly hyped up as if ever ball is an opportunity for 4 or 6. same way if a batsman is struggling for a few balls, crowd should get hyped up too expecting a wicket any ball. Ball hit on the air no matter where should get the crowds excited with a higher decibel of sound if the catch is caught or dropped or goes over the boundary. Good fielding should be encouraged by wicketkeepers/bowlers and crowd. specially when a close boundary is saved. These shouldn't be hard to implement. I don't even want you guys to complicate this by thinking about whether it's the home team or away team and who the crowd should root for. just get the basic sounds right. all other complications can be added later in another iteration for all I care.
this really needs to be looked at .
the atmosphere is so dead rn in the game.
@MattW

I don't disagree, but again it's a tough position - most of the previous page is deconstructing a short answer given about spin bowling, and the support team knowing every reply might end up being shared widely, end up having to give answers in a PR speak, which in turn lots of people don't like.

I accept that to some degree that's itself a side effect of lacking communication, it's the only thing people are getting so they overanalyse what is said, it just I suppose goes to why it's difficult to flip a switch to 'open' communication.

Respectfully, it is not over analyzing to ask what "While you can achieve spin in-game it is not what the community enjoys" means in response to "there is no spin." The plain language meaning is that there is realistic and acceptable (to BA) spin mechanics in the game and the issue is that the community wants something different. That's why I asked if there was another meaning, because that doesn't seem like PR speak, it seems like blame deflection.

I understand that BA is receiving a torrent of abuse, which is wrong - full stop. I also appreciate that a lot of feedback is comparing the game to an idealized cricket game in their heads that is not realistic and that is frustrating. I've been in similar situations. And one mistake I made was not demonstrating that I understood the issues and was working on substantive solutions. It looks like BA is doing the same thing.

@MattW there are some issues that are not being addressed inspite of repeated feedback here. Like, overpowered spinner, pitch deterioration, impact of stamina in the player performance/running between wickets, limiting the overseas players in the playing XI of global T20 leagues, no changes or additions to the career mode from previous games and so on. The community is frustrated because of this. It gives the impression that we are being taken for granted.
There are quite a few persons with tons of ideas, but it's not been utilised is what I feel. For the reception DBC series has got 10 years back, C24 should have surpassed it now, but it has not, time to introspect and re-evaluate the gameplay from BAS side I feel.
Don't bother with mattw he is repeating same words he did with cricket 22.We had same issues with spin on cricket 22 and they were incompetent to fix it even with hundreds of tickets .

Cricket 22 was a step back from cricket 19 as cricket 19 had weather and pitch affecting gameplay .You would get edges on green tracks and as it got cloudy swing increased even after 45 overs ball sometimes swung.Cricket 22 pitches did not matter nor weather.

Users who are viewing this thread