Cricket and game questions

vladiator

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi everyone.

Being a Russian, I never cared too much about cricket. However, recently I have become so interested (thanks to moving to NZ and being forced into it by my Sri Lankan girlfriend :mad) that I decided to buy EA Cricket 2005 for my Xbox.

Just like many other people, I have troubles to score runs in the game - especially using six hit button (L1). I have read some comments, and a usual advice is to time and direct a shot correctly. Being a beginner, I do not really know how to do it. Hence, my questions:

1) when to use a front foot or back foot shot? would you use the backfoot when the ball lands close to the batsman and frontfoot when is it further away?

2) timing - do you hit the shot button once the ball is released by the bowler or when it lands, or at some other time?

3) Sometimes my batsman hit a ball with straight hands, so that the ball goes straight out of boundaries (although often it flies only few metres). Other times a batsman hits it in some clumsy pose with bended hands (no swing) - and it is almost always caught by a fielder. Why is that? Do I position myself incorrectly?

4) confidence - when do you start to go for sixes? I usually let a player to hit a ball 6-10 times before starting to use a 6-hit button, even though the confidence meter would only have 1-2 blocks filled. Do you fill up your confidence meter before going for it?

All in all, when I go for sixes, anything can happen. In my second game ever, Hayden scored a century while hitting 10 sixes. I finished the match (20 overs game) with 176 runs. Since that I am lucky to hit 30 runs with the same guy.

I guess I have to mention that I play on EASY (stop laughing!) and I always play 20 over matches. And as I mentioned above, I play it on Xbox.

Anyone can give me any advice on this? I love the game but I am tied of losing (though I just beat the Netherlands with Australia. The Netherlands only managed to score 16 runs :happy ).

1) Front foot shots for ball pitched up, back foot for balls pitched on the middle of the wicket.
2) Never played cricket 2005 so dont know much about timing in the game, but in real cricket timing is all about getting bat to ball exactly at the sweetest spot of the bat and the perfect time, soi the ball travel the farthest.

As for the rest of the questions set up a date with your GF with your enhanced cricket knowledge :cool:

Last edited:
Go and practice timing and shot selection in the practice nets. It takes everyone a while until they get their timing correct, test matches are a good place to start, you can spend some time picking off singles, getting your timing right for those and when your confidence is high you can try some sixes/lofted shots in safe areas.

1. Front foot shots are played when the ball is pitched up closer to the batsmen or even at a medium length. Backfoot shots are played for balls that are pitched in short.

2. Best time to hit the six would be when the ball is just about to hit the pitch. but you have to check for slower balls ect just in case. Go to the training nets to get your timing on point for this

3. I usually position myself with my bat just touching the legstump (left most stump), and yup often how well the bal will fly off your bat is determined by your position, where the ball is pitched, and of course timing.

4. I don't buy in to all the "let your confidence get up before you hit sixes" idea, I like to go them straight away, but only on select deliveries. If there is no fielder down the ground adn the ball is pitched up to me I can use the straight drive smash, or if the ball is pitched up on offstump you can use the ondrive smash. Pretty much attack anything that is on the half volley.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I will try to incorporate them into my play.

Users who are viewing this thread