Cricket Heroes - testing & feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
@itay: Do you mind trying a fresh install? I think the textures are corrupt again. If so, I'll give you a little utility that'll fix them.

----------

@rahulkhush: Excellent job, buddy :) That slideshow looks pretty darn good.

Well that slideshow was something I did it in 5 minutes give me a day I will make a good teaser :)

Hi all,

here's the patch as promised. It fixes up a few minor things, improves the simulations slightly and fixes the new commentary engine.

Old Commentary Engine:

There old commentary engine pieces phrases together to form semi-coherent commentary lines. Each line is comprised of a BOWLING and BATTING phrase.

Batting Commentary:

Each line is comma-delimited with the following information:

BAT - signifies a batting phrase

RESULT - 0 = dot/run, 1 = edged, 2 = inside edged, 3 = bottom edged, 4 = top edged, 5 = leading edge

MIN SPEED OFF BAT - value of 0-5

MAX SPEED OFF BAT - value of 0-5

PHRASE - actual phrase text
Bowling commentary:

BOWL - signifies a bowling phrase

BOWLER TYPE - 0 = seam, 1 = off spinner, 2 = leg spinner

PHRASE TYPE - 0 = normal, 1 = seam/swing/spin

if PHRASE TYPE = 0

MIN SPEED - value in km/h
MAX SPEED - value in km/h

if PHRASE TYPE = 1

MIN MOVEMENT - value of 0-20
MAX MOVEMENT - value of 0-20

PHRASE - actual phrase text

New Commentary Engine:

The new commentary engine requires a complete line of text for a specific result.

BOWLER TYPE - multi-value field where 0 = fast, 1 = medium fast, 2 = fast medium, 3 = medium, 4 = off spin, 5 = leg spin

DELIVERY TYPE - multi-value field where 0 = straight, 1 = leg cutter, 2 = off cutter, 3 = inswing, 4 = outswing, 5 = offie, 6 = leggie, 7 = top spinner, 8 = arm ball, 9 = flipper

STARTING LINE - value where 0 = leg, 1 = middle, 2 = off

ENDING LINE - value where 0 = leg, 1 = middle, 2 = off

LENGTH TYPE - multi-value field where 0 = full, 1 = good, 2 = short

EDGE TYPE - value where 0 = none, 1 = outside, 2 = inside, 3 = top, 4 = bottom, 5 = leading

SHOT - shot name (these can be found in the shots.bdb file)

RESULT TYPE - value where 0 = runs, 1 = dot, 2 = wd, 3 = 5wd, 4 = nb, 5 = 5nb, 6 = wicket, 7 = bye, 8 = leg bye

MOVEMENT RANGE - a range from 0-20

SPEED RANGE - a range in km/h for the delivery

TIMING RANGE - a range from 0-5 to indicate how well the ball was timed

RUN RANGE - a range of runs scored off the delivery

PHRASE - the actual phrase text

Additionally, each of the engines recognises a limited set of hash tags. Each of the tags is replaced by the appropriate content:

#FIELDER - name of the fielder fielding the ball

#FIELD_POSITION - name of the fielding position where the ball was fielded (or where it crossed the boundary)

#DIRECTION - "in" or "away" depending on the movement of the ball

#BOWLER - name of the bowler

#BATSMAN - name of the batsman on strike

#STUMP - "outside off", "on off", "on middle", "on leg", "outside leg"

#STUMP_TO - "leg", "middle", "off"

#LENGTH - "full", "good", "short"

#FOOT - "back foot", "front foot"

#TYPE_ALT (swing) - "swings", "curves", "curls", "bends"
#TYPE_ALT (seam) - "seams", "moves", "jags", "cuts"

#POSITION - "the off side", "the leg side", "straight"

The two engines run side-by-side - if there's not enough information to create a report using the 2nd method, it'll fall back onto the 1st method.

I realise this is complicated (and probably more complicated than it should be), but this is the only method I could devise that would cater for all situations and give you complete control over what is reported. I'm open to any ideas to simplify it though...

Cheers!
K

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've just updated the website with the above information as well. You can find it in the Guide section on the website under "Commentary".

Cheers
K

@itay: Do you mind trying a fresh install? I think the textures are corrupt again. If so, I'll give you a little utility that'll fix them.

----------

@rahulkhush: Excellent job, buddy :) That slideshow looks pretty darn good.

@kurtkz: Ah found the culprit regarding the 3D graphics problem... seems that the problem occurs after copying the 2D texture pack.

Still haven't got the darn thing going but have pre-ordered as a sign of support for this excellent effort!:)

Dutchad I know I havent done anything for this game but this little things done by you MattW and all others who have ordered the game is really fantastic for the developer. It keeps them as well as you interested.

Dutchad I know I havent done anything for this game but this little things done by you MattW and all others who have ordered the game is really fantastic for the developer. It keeps them as well as you interested.

I am only too glad to help. I think it is a fabulous effort and Kurt seems like a genuinely good guy. Just a shame I cannot run it as yet. I have tried truly everything but I don't get past the processing screen right at the end just before the match should start. All other menus work perfectly. In the task manager window I see the processer working on the game but it just wont proceed further.....

@dutchad: Thanks for the sentiment, but I'd feel bad for taking your money and not giving you something you can actually play. Bear with me, I'll figure it out :)

----------

@itay: That's great (and odd) - the 3D mode doesn't use the 2D textures. I'll investigate it further...

@dutchad: Thanks for the sentiment, but I'd feel bad for taking your money and not giving you something you can actually play. Bear with me, I'll figure it out :)

Don't feel bad mate. It is my choice. We will get it going. I think this will be an excellent game and it will be great to see it develop further over the next couple of years.

@dutchad: You're too kind :) Hopefully it won't take me years to finish this though - I'm hoping to get everything finished up by the end of the year and then it should just be balancing. In theory at least :P

@dutchad: You're too kind :) Hopefully it won't take me years to finish this though - I'm hoping to get everything finished up by the end of the year and then it should just be balancing. In theory at least :P

Yeah I hope it doesn't take you years either but it would be good if you could see yourself continually adding features and upgrading different things as well over the next couple of years, bringing out improved versions etcetra. You are the only one actually delivering the goods at the moment and actually showing something for your efforts. That, we must support.

Aaah, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. The next update will only be at the end of the month though. That being said, I'm excited to get started on the next bit of functionality - career mode. Everyone's been great about giving me ideas and I think I can knock up something fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread