Cricket Heroes - testing & feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it's not working :/ Can you post your PC specs please (incl. Windows version)?

Windows 7
Intel Core i7 CPU 2.8 Ghz
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Anything else?

Thanks, but now I'm completely stumped. Can you try to install patch 2.06 over the version you have now?

How do I install the patch over the current version? Do I just unzip it and paste the files into the existing folder?

I played a T20 between myself (India) and Pakistan. Playing on Beginner difficulty level, bowled first and got them all out for 70. As earlier mentioned, lot (around 6) of dismissals came off the inside-edge onto the stumps. Chased the total down in about 10 overs.

Played another T20 between myself (India) and Australia. Australian lineup was very strange and I guess most of them have not played international cricket. Auto-generated about 10 overs and Australia score about 162 batting first. Chased down the total in 15.4 overs with Sehwag scoring 80 not out of 35-odd balls.

Some feedback:

1. Wicket Keeper super-human:
I have had properly hooked aerial shots getting caught by the wicket-keeper. Here's how it happened: Kohli played an aerial hook shot and the ball was flying towards fine-leg (but was still inside the 30 yard circle). All of a sudden, the wicket-keeper flew from behind the stumps to short-fine-leg and took the catch. Looked hilarious, that jump of the keeper :D

On another occasion, an aerial leg glance was caught by the keeper after the ball had clearly passed the 30 yard circle and the keeper was no where to be seen.

2. Slow-down:
The game performance (fps) has surely improved a lot in the recent releases. However, after playing a few overs the game slows down once in a while. The bowlers bowling take about 5-6 seconds to reach the crease and release the ball. Performance becomes normal again after a few deliveries.
Also, on some occasions, the game becomes totally unplayable right from the start of a match (more below).

3. Ball going through the wicket:
I have seen replays and can confirm that on some (few?) occasions the ball goes between the stumps without the bails or stumps getting disturbed.

4. Wicket keeper: caught but not out
Inline with my comment on inside edges when played across the line, the ball ends up in wicket-keepers hands but the batsman is not adjudged out.

5. Field Settings:
If you save the field for a RHB and load it in the next match when the opening batsman/striker is LHB, the field is inverted. You then have to wait for a RHB getting on strike and re-load the field after which it works fine.

6. Default Lineups/Order:
How can we change default lineups selected when Auto button on Team Selection is pressed? If not possible, can you add this feature so that we can set default lineups for each team for each format. Also, please allow setting batting order of the opposite team. Currently the order is set based on the Batting Skills of the players. I know there is a manual lineup option in Gameplay Settings, but I wouldn't want to do that every time I play an opposition. So if possible, there should be an option to set default lineups per team per format along with order selection option.

7. Player Editor:
Player Editor does not save any of the players attributes.

8. Classic Games:
Not working. Error: The classic game is not compatible with the current release or something similar.

8. Manual Lineups:
Freezes the game when you enable this option in Gameplay Settings. The game freezes after you select the human team and click OK.

9. World T20 unplayable:
I don't know if this was random, but when I tried playing World T20, the game was absolutely unplayable (probably getting like 5 FPS). I tried saving the match, quitting the game, re-launching and resume, but it continues being unplayable.

10. Ball Speed > 150:
Just noticed the max speed can be 150. Is it possible to allow some bowlers to bowl faster than that? I tried directly editing in the players file, but it does not impact the speeds in game.

11. Bounce:
I feel the bounce off the pitch needs to be increased. Even on lot of Australian tracks, I have seen some balls reach nearly one bounce to the keeper, especially when the ball speed is low. Is there a co-relation between ball speed and bounce?

12. Team Load option:
Team Load works as expected, however in the next screen for batting order if you press Load, different set of players come in the team. Ideally this is how the flow should be:
a. Select playing XI and save the team
b. For batting order, when user makes changes and clicks Save, save the order on the saved team itself.
c. Next time if someone loads a team, goes to batting order selection and clicks load, it will only load the batting order saved in that loaded team file.
Hope this makes sense.

13. Simulate until your match:
For big tournaments like Indian T20 Premier League, if I select only one team as a user-controlled team, it becomes monotonous to simulate each and every match until user teams match comes. If possible, please provide an additional button "Simulate until Match" which will automatically simulate all matches until user-teams match comes.

14. Wind strength:
I noticed that currently the wind effect on shots is too strong. This is very noticeable when playing aerial shots. For example, an aerial shot played to fine-leg ends up at square leg boundary. Similarly an aerial pull shot to square-leg boundary ends up near deep mid-wicket.

15. Speed/Swing/Seam/Spin:
This is a feature request ;)
Sometimes I love playing in difficult batting conditions where the ball is seaming/swinging like crazy. I know you have kept a max. cap on bowler speeds (150 kmph), swing (20), seam (20) and spin (20). Increasing the values beyond the cap directly in the players.bdb does not work since you have a maximum cap for each attribute in the game I guess. Can we have some sort of an easter-egg (maybe a parameter in a config file) or some other way which will enable speeds/swing/seam beyond the max cap. :)

----------

Oh yes, one more thing, can we have AI playing more attacking/unorthdox cricket in the T20 format? Like more late cuts, sweeps, reverse-sweeps, scoops (if at all possible). That would make setting fields challenging.:yes

Last edited:
1. Wicket Keeper super-human:
I have had properly hooked aerial shots getting caught by the wicket-keeper. Here's how it happened: Kohli played an aerial hook shot and the ball was flying towards fine-leg (but was still inside the 30 yard circle). All of a sudden, the wicket-keeper flew from behind the stumps to short-fine-leg and took the catch. Looked hilarious, that jump of the keeper :D

On another occasion, an aerial leg glance was caught by the keeper after the ball had clearly passed the 30 yard circle and the keeper was no where to be seen.

Hehe, I should include converting replays to video - that would've been funny to see :) I thought I put a limit on the keeper's dive distance, but apparently not :P Will fix that right up.

2. Slow-down:
The game performance (fps) has surely improved a lot in the recent releases. However, after playing a few overs the game slows down once in a while. The bowlers bowling take about 5-6 seconds to reach the crease and release the ball. Performance becomes normal again after a few deliveries.
Yeah, I've noticed this too. I think I know where the problem is (my timing code).

3. Ball going through the wicket:
I have seen replays and can confirm that on some (few?) occasions the ball goes between the stumps without the bails or stumps getting disturbed.

Hmm, I haven't seen this yet, but I'll check it out. Was it off fast bowlers or spinners too?

4. Wicket keeper: caught but not out
Inline with my comment on inside edges when played across the line, the ball ends up in wicket-keepers hands but the batsman is not adjudged out.

This should be fixed in the next update. That inside edge was actually a physics bug. Hopefully that resolve the keeper-catch issue as well.

5. Field Settings:
If you save the field for a RHB and load it in the next match when the opening batsman/striker is LHB, the field is inverted. You then have to wait for a RHB getting on strike and re-load the field after which it works fine.

Excellent spot! I'll fix that up.

6. Default Lineups/Order:
How can we change default lineups selected when Auto button on Team Selection is pressed? If not possible, can you add this feature so that we can set default lineups for each team for each format. Also, please allow setting batting order of the opposite team. Currently the order is set based on the Batting Skills of the players. I know there is a manual lineup option in Gameplay Settings, but I wouldn't want to do that every time I play an opposition. So if possible, there should be an option to set default lineups per team per format along with order selection option.

Sure thing - you want to be able to set the batting order for the opposition when manual lineups are selected? Should the batting order be saved along with the squad if you save it (rather than saving the batting order separately)?

7. Player Editor:
Player Editor does not save any of the players attributes.

Whoops - I need to update the player editor. Quite a bit has changed since the last release.

8. Classic Games:
Not working. Error: The classic game is not compatible with the current release or something similar.

Ditto - the file format has changed and I haven't updated it :/ I do have the game files from Cricinfo though so it'll take 2min to reimport :P

While we're on the subject of classic games can you (or any other forumite) think of other short format games that you'd like to be able to replay?

8. Manual Lineups:
Freezes the game when you enable this option in Gameplay Settings. The game freezes after you select the human team and click OK.

Yup, this is fixed in the next release.

9. World T20 unplayable:
I don't know if this was random, but when I tried playing World T20, the game was absolutely unplayable (probably getting like 5 FPS). I tried saving the match, quitting the game, re-launching and resume, but it continues being unplayable.

That's really strange - taking a look at it now...

10. Ball Speed > 150:
Just noticed the max speed can be 150. Is it possible to allow some bowlers to bowl faster than that? I tried directly editing in the players file, but it does not impact the speeds in game.

Yup, I'll allow this when I update the player editor. It might take a few days for me to get through everything though...

11. Bounce:
I feel the bounce off the pitch needs to be increased. Even on lot of Australian tracks, I have seen some balls reach nearly one bounce to the keeper, especially when the ball speed is low. Is there a co-relation between ball speed and bounce?

Agreed, there was too high a correlation between ball speed and bounce. This has since been fixed.

12. Team Load option:
Team Load works as expected, however in the next screen for batting order if you press Load, different set of players come in the team. Ideally this is how the flow should be:
a. Select playing XI and save the team
b. For batting order, when user makes changes and clicks Save, save the order on the saved team itself.
c. Next time if someone loads a team, goes to batting order selection and clicks load, it will only load the batting order saved in that loaded team file.
Hope this makes sense.

Yup, makes complete sense.

13. Simulate until your match:
For big tournaments like Indian T20 Premier League, if I select only one team as a user-controlled team, it becomes monotonous to simulate each and every match until user teams match comes. If possible, please provide an additional button "Simulate until Match" which will automatically simulate all matches until user-teams match comes.

Very good point, I'll add that feature.

14. Wind strength:
I noticed that currently the wind effect on shots is too strong. This is very noticeable when playing aerial shots. For example, an aerial shot played to fine-leg ends up at square leg boundary. Similarly an aerial pull shot to square-leg boundary ends up near deep mid-wicket.

Again, really good spot. Just fixed it up now (hopefully).

Oh yes, one more thing, can we have AI playing more attacking/unorthdox cricket in the T20 format? Like more late cuts, sweeps, reverse-sweeps, scoops (if at all possible). That would make setting fields challenging.:yes

Can do - should the batsmen be able to sweep/reverse-sweep the quicks too? I'll also see if Buko can whip up a scoop animation. Dilshan would probably be the best prototype for that right?

Hmm, I haven't seen this yet, but I'll check it out. Was it off fast bowlers or spinners too?
Against fast bowlers.

Sure thing - you want to be able to set the batting order for the opposition when manual lineups are selected? Should the batting order be saved along with the squad if you save it (rather than saving the batting order separately)?
Not only for manual lineups. As part of player editor, it should be possible to set default teams/order.

While we're on the subject of classic games can you (or any other forumite) think of other short format games that you'd like to be able to replay?
Sure, I can come up with a few classic games from the recent past.

Can do - should the batsmen be able to sweep/reverse-sweep the quicks too? I'll also see if Buko can whip up a scoop animation. Dilshan would probably be the best prototype for that right?
Yes, batsmen should be able to sweep/reverse sweep quicks but the difficulty should be higher when attempted against fast bowlers (compared to medium/medium fast). Also since you mentioned about adding "batsmen getting hit" animation/feature, it would be good if you made sweep/reverse sweep against the quicks risky :p
For a prototype, either:
a. Doug Marillier:
Doug Marillier INVENTOR OF SCOOP??? 2001 vs Australia PERTH - YouTube

or b. Dilshan:
Dilshan scoop shot - YouTube

Different type of scoops, pick your choice :)

Hi all,

v2.07 is now available. Changelog:

- tweaked effect of wind on ball
- added Skip function to simulate all games played by CPU without player intervention
- AI plays riskier shots in T20's now
- batting order can now be saved/loaded per lineup
- adjusted bounce off pitch
- fixed freeze bug when manual lineups selected and playing tournaments/series
- fixed ball-wicket collisions
- reduced wicket keeper dive radius
- increase speed of simulation when playing a match
- rearranged/modified UI for some screens
- bug fixes
- added new test stadium
- optimized speed of stadium rendering
- can't run back when batsmen have crossed
- new camera: Far Bowler
- can now select more than 4 international players in squads for the IPL
- fixed various physics bugs
- fixed graphics corruption after DRS call
- removed keeper/bowler animations running back to mark
- tweaked simulations for short formats
- squads aren't selected for FC domestic competitions
- removed restrictions on stats
- updated player and shots editors

Cheers
K

Hi Kurt,
The game is really unplayable now on 2.07. It runs really, really slow (about 5 fps). Sometimes it works for a couple of deliveries at the start of the match, but after a run is scored/strike rotated, performance degrades to an unplayable level. I tried removing the stadium folders but that did not help. All other visual options are off in Visual settings. Anything else I can try?

----------

Also, some times the game becomes slow right after the human team selection is done in the menu itself: Loading Indicator becomes slow, the screen flickers for 5-10 seconds (this happens once in a while, not all the time) and next screen does not come for good 5-10 seconds. I have seen black screen when the match starts with all HUD elements visible, but a black screen instead of ground, players, stadium etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread