Cricket Heroes - testing & feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ashu: Quite right - it was isometric when the game was still 2D :P Peek/Poke is my company. Speaking of which I need to finish the registration.

@markkkkk: Thanks! I'll take a look at it when I get home. Putting out fires at work at the moment. On a side note: sometimes, I hate web dev.

Any tips on taking wickets in career mode as a bowler? Plus does economic bowling bring about rewards? I don't take many wickets but have a good economy rate....I also notice that one can earn much more experience points as a batsman and very few as a bowler....should be equal imo...unless I am missing something......

Hi

I'm trying to create a new team, but it doesn't seem to like any image I use as a flag, not even any of the existing one's in the import folder (after copying the image elsewhere, changing the name and then selecting it in the Team Editor).

Now, I'm assuming because of this, when I create a new player in the Roster Editor, the new team I've created doesn't show up in the Roster Editor for me to add a newly created player to the newly created team.

Help! I'm using version 2.56, which is the latest one.

@Dutchad: Yup, bowling economically should net you a few XP. Thinking about it now, it's definitely true that bowlers earn less XP. I'll increase the XP you earn from bowling economically.

----------

@KingRizzy: Can you send me the image you're using please?

Hey Kurt, Ive just tried to play 2 quick matches and both times I lost the toss and bowled, both times the bowler got to the same point, choosing the pitching spot, and both times the game has stopped.
When I say stopped, I dont mean completely frozen, the pitch cursor is still moving but and the bowler looks as though he is half way through his run up but hasnt moved. And the only thing I can do is 'ESC' out of the game and return to the Main Menu.

I have included a save, which I saved at a point where the bowler wont move.

Attachments

• Ray.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 0
Excellent! Thanks, plexus, I'll take a look first thing when I get home later. Hopefully I can fix that issue and release the update tonight.

Excellent! Thanks, plexus, I'll take a look first thing when I get home later. Hopefully I can fix that issue and release the update tonight.

Sounds great. Btw, have you thought about the next step for this game? Are you still planning to do kick-starter (or some other crowd funding service) for updated models or you planning to release the game as is i.e. with the same models?

If you've been following big-ant's forum, you might already know this but they have implemented really awesome batting and bowling controls which are very different from any other cricket game. Something to keep in my mind for V2 perhaps :)

Btw, this game has improved leaps and bounds and every new update makes it even more awesome. If you could just sort-out the crashes, this game is going to be a cracker. I am really having a lot of fun playing this game, so thanks for all the efforts.

Last edited:
@Pat: Yup, still planning on doing the Indiegogo campaign. The current plan is:

- make a stable version
- update official website (in the works)
- launch the Indiegogo campaign (in the works)
- advertise

Hmm, innovative gameplay mechanics you say...do you have a link to that discussion?

Ross mentioned that the game will not support keyboard. So you would need a controller or joystick to play the game. From the discussion, this is how it looks like:

Bowling:
Bowling mechanics have been changed. You no longer choose the spot where you want to land the ball. The spot will be chosen based on the decisions made before and at the time of delivery. The bowling is timed on when you release the ball, it works well, requires a great degree of skill and is a lot of fun. If done well, this could really add a great deal of depth to the bowling mechanics, and (hopefully) would require you to practice hard before you can get onto bowling those perfect deliveries.

This is how it could be implemented
a) Before the run-up we need to choose the seam position (cross seam, pointed towards slip for outswing, pointed towards fine leg for inswing etc), and we also have the option to shine the ball.

b) Then we start the runup by keeping two button pressed (one for holding the ball and other for the run up), and we use the left joystick to aim roughly where we want to pitch the ball (this is a rough aim where 12o'clock position would mean aiming straight, but there is no marker assist.)

c) Then when we release the button for runup, the bowler will initiate the bowling action (if we release this late the bowler will over step the crease resulting in a no-ball), and then when we release the ball holding button, the ball would be bowled based on the timing of the release.

Batting:
Left stick foot placement in the shot.
Right stick controls the bat.
Thumb pad controls position in the crease.
Variable triggers are used for defensive and aggressive play.
Bumpers are for advancing down the wicket and unorthodox shots.

For clarity, the right stick makes the stroke. Triggers are analogue and therefore variable as to their intensity. You never use both triggers in the game but can quickly switch from holding one to the other to change your mind. (Now this is really the last I can comment on it for a while.)

You don't have to use all of the controls... if you do you will play a better game, but it is possible to stand in your crease and just time the ball with the bat alone - the game and control systems are layered to increase the precision as you become more able.

Interesting thing on career mode:
In Career mode, position on the ladder/group, finals, style of play etc.. will determine the crowd - it won't be always packed - this means $$ earned at the gate, sponsors and TV ratings so it does effect the management side of things. Play boring Cricket and no one will turn up and you will be in a spiral not being able to afford good players and traininng staff.

Aaah, I see. I had a similar idea for the bowling controls at one stage. I could implement something similar for that without too much hassle.

The batting controls are a no-go though. I haven't implement inverse kinematics and the models won't support it :/

If anyone is interested in new bowling controls, though, I'd be more than happy to make the changes.

EDIT: their career mode sounds very much like a manager style mode. Interesting.

Aaah, I see. I had a similar idea for the bowling controls at one stage. I could implement something similar for that without too much hassle.

The batting controls are a no-go though. I haven't implement inverse kinematics and the models won't support it :/

If anyone is interested in new bowling controls, though, I'd be more than happy to make the changes.

EDIT: their career mode sounds very much like a manager style mode. Interesting.

Would love to try the new bowling controls. How will you control the line though?

Also, if there is no pitch marker, how will batsman play the strokes?

Career mode is indeed manager style mode compared to "Be a pro" mode in Cricket Heroes. You manage a team, hire/fire staff, give offers etc.

I guess you could have the bowler do the following:

1. choose grip (I could add shining to the ball state menu)
2. choose arm position?
3. push button to start run up
4. press A/B/C to bowl slower/normal/faster

The pitch marker can still be shown for the batsman as the AI can still use the old method to bowl. Or I can just simulate where the ball will bounce...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread