Cricket Heroes - testing & feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea how I would go about that...

----------

EDIT: If any of the members has a contact (or an idea), I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Taken from other forums-

First of all, when contacting a publisher, you have to make sure you show them you mean business. You're not looking for someone to play your game, you're looking for a business partner.I recommend that you do various things before you contact a publisher.

First, build a website that looks professional. On that website, you have to tell what the games is, it's key features, show a couple of screenshots and post some gameplay footage. No demos or anything like that, just pics and vids.

Second, build a business plan. Know how much time it'll take to finish the game, how many people will work on it and how much it'll cost. Also, have a good idea of when you want to release the game, what territories you are aiming for and how you want to get paid. Are you getting some funding from government or external investors? You have to tell an interested publisher these things so that they know what they are expecting. But before we get further in that topic, let's talk about the approach a bit.

When you approach a publisher, first of all, never shoot randomly. You have to know what kind of publisher you are looking for and what is your game's honest potential. Don't bother shooting your gore FPS game at some publisher that focuses on kids game unless someone in the company has told you that they decided to head this way. Finding a publisher is like finding a date: if you take whatever lies around you might not be statisfied; If you take a bit more time to search, you'll find someone with similar interest. Secondly, know who you are talking to. Search their website(s) or call them to know who is responsible with game submissions. Get his/her name, email and if possible phone number(s). Then you can prepare your approach. Remember, You have to put the publisher in confidence when approaching it, making sure it doesn't think you're just some guy like a million others but a pro and serious business partner.

When you do your approach, say general but sturdy facts like: "I'm head of team X and we are working on our (first/second/third etc...) title named X. It is currently at STATE_OF_GAME_HERE (like full playable demo, tech demo, alpha, beta, gold) stage and we are looking to secure a publishing deal." This'll tell how far in the project you are which will give a good idea to the publisher how much money it'll need to invest. You can also tell your team's state if it helps, like "we're a bunch of leads with 10+ years of xp in the industry and we decided to make a game together". Whatever fact you have that will tell the publisher you are serious business partners will help.

In your approach, always tell why you are approaching the publisher in particular. Saying "We believe that you would be interested in our game because of X and X reasons because it fits with your current games, such as PUBLISHERGAME_A and PUBLISHERGAME_B" means that you know what kind of game they publish and understand their publishing direction. If you don't show that, the publisher will feel like you're just spamming.

Always tell the publisher that you can provide extra info about the game on demand. Don't show it unless it asks. Of course this means that you must make sure you have design documents, pitch/high concept documents and if possible a working demo at hand so that you can show something if the publisher is interested. Side notes about demos: never release a playable demo before finding a publisher. Most publishers are very happy to know that they have exclusivity. The second a gameplay mechanic can be played, it can get stolen. You can show parts of the idea in vids, but do not allow the public to play it before you get a contract. And, speaking of contract, make sure you specify if you can release a demo and when you can start doing so.

Earlier, I talked about business plans and time schedules. Well, if the publisher ever wants to get serious with you, that's when you need to tell him what you want in the business relationship. The details vary from one game plateform to another but in general, knowing how much it'll cost to finish, how many copies is gonna be made and how much they'll pay you (and using what method) are the key issues to discuss. It's wise to never sign the first deal. Especialy when dealing for the first time with a publisher. It is usual to see new devs getting exploited by publishers. It's not a bad behavior from their sides, you're doing some very serious and high business with them, it's just that the new guys just sign whatever paper the publishers shove under their noses. If you ever get an offer, read it and make sure you understand it. Counter offer with something similar but that pulls the blanket more on your side and see how they react. Then, keep dealing until you both are satisfied with the terms. Try to remain cool headed even when dealing with big numbers, wich is very usual when talking about games. A 250 000$ offer for a game might look tasty but when you think about it, it's pretty bitter. You have to pay for taxes, an even share to all the team, office suplies, buy licenses for your hardware and software (specialy if you are using pirates or working on consoles), find a place to work, pay the rent and in some cases pay for some advertisement and box artworks. Sure you can cut back on many things but 250 000$ is spent real fast in the world of video games. Plus, you'll need to put some on the side if you ever want to make another game.

Well, I hope this helps a bit. There are many things to look at when going in the big leagues with a game and it ain't always easy. But, don't give up, it is quite possible to succeed, you just need to have the guts and a good plan of action.

Take care!

Kurt, does the Shot Editor edit the right file? If yes, what file is it? I noticed that data/shots.bdb and shots.csv are definitely not modified by the shot editor.

Also, I noticed that frontfoot defensive and backfoot defensive have their animations inversed in shots.bdb.

P.S: I am downloading Full version and will report back.

@Pat: If you've been playing the permissions fix version, try deleting %APPDATA%\Cricket Heroes. The editors look for that folder first before trying the local folder where it was unzipped to.

@Pat: If you've been playing the permissions fix version, try deleting %APPDATA%\Cricket Heroes. The editors look for that folder first before trying the local folder where it was unzipped to.

Gotcha. That's the thing. Shots.bdb in that folder also has inverse animations for forward and backfoot defensive shots. You might want to change that in future.

Also, I noticed an error log stating balls.bdb is missing. So maybe that's the reason why the earlier version wouldn't start?

Request: When you have time, can you please explain the new parameters in shots.bdb. I noticed a lot of new parameters than earlier. No hurry, when you have time :)

@kurtkz: Noticing the AI bowling a lot of really slow deliveries (at 90 -100km/h) for pace bowlers in Test mode (even after adjusting bowlers speed in the roster editor). Could you possibly tweak the AI to bowl less slower deliveries (and lower the speed variation when bowling)?

EDIT: Just noticed the batsman are unable to take an extra run (when pressing the run button) when the fielder dives for the ball too.

Last edited:
@Pat & itay: Thanks guys - I'm fixing up those issues now.

@itay: When the fielder dives for the ball can you not run at all? Oh, wait. Nvm I found it :)

Last edited:
@Pat & itay: Thanks guys - I'm fixing up those issues now.

@itay: When the fielder dives for the ball can you not run at all? Oh, wait. Nvm I found it :)

@kurtkz: Can't take a run also when the ball is edged fine and drops short (between keeper and 1st slip I think)

EDIT: When a batsman is dismissed, it is still possible to select the batsman at the crease as the new batsman (should not happen at all)

EDIT 2: Error log when playing first match in career mode
PERMISSIONS MODE: False
PCPL MODE: False

STACK TRACE: at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
at Cricket.Main.GameInstance.Display(Single ratio) in c:\Users\touchlab\work\Personal\Cricket Heroesv3D\Cricket Heroesv3\Cricket Heroes\Main\GameInstance.cs:line 16168
at Cricket.Main.GameStateNewBatsman.ProcessVisual(Single ms, Single ms2) in c:\Users\touchlab\work\Personal\Cricket Heroesv3D\Cricket Heroesv3\Cricket Heroes\Main\GameStateNewBatsman.cs:line 193
at Cricket.Main.GameState.Update(Single ms, Single ms2) in c:\Users\touchlab\work\Personal\Cricket Heroesv3D\Cricket Heroesv3\Cricket Heroes\Main\GameState.cs:line 320
at Cricket.Main.GameStateChooseBatsman.ProcessInput(Single ms) in c:\Users\touchlab\work\Personal\Cricket Heroesv3D\Cricket Heroesv3\Cricket Heroes\Main\GameStateChooseBatsman.cs:line 393
at Cricket.Main.GameInstance.Loop() in c:\Users\touchlab\work\Personal\Cricket Heroesv3D\Cricket Heroesv3\Cricket Heroes\Main\GameInstance.cs:line 17680
at Cricket.Main.Game.Main(String[] args) in c:\Users\touchlab\work\Personal\Cricket Heroesv3D\Cricket Heroesv3\Cricket Heroes\Main\Game.cs:line 4747

Last edited:
Hey guys, can you try the following update please?

EDIT: it should address the issues raised by itay and Pat.

Attachments

• CricketPatch.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Net Practice crashes the game.

RUN @ 09-05-2013 22:06:33

VERSION: 2.571
PROFILE: pat
PERMISSIONS MODE: False
PCPL MODE: False

MESSAGE: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

STACK TRACE: at Resources.Sprites.Spritesheet.Apply() in c:\Users\touchlab\work\Personal\Cricket Heroesv3D\Cricket Heroesv3\Cricket Heroes\Resources\Sprite\Spritesheet.cs:line 606
at Resources.Sprites.Spritesheet.BlitSprite3DAlpha(String name, String animation, Int32 frame, Single x, Single y, Single a) in c:\Users\touchlab\work\Personal\Cricket Heroesv3D\Cricket Heroesv3\Cricket Heroes\Resources\Sprite\Spritesheet.cs:line 683
at Cricket.Main.GameObject.Pitch.Render(Single ratio, Camera2D camera) in c:\Users\touchlab\work\Personal\Cricket Heroesv3D\Cricket Heroesv3\Cricket Heroes\Main\GameObject\Pitch.cs:line 72
at Cricket.Main.GameInstance.Display(Single ratio) in c:\Users\touchlab\work\Personal\Cricket Heroesv3D\Cricket Heroesv3\Cricket Heroes\Main\GameInstance.cs:line 14379
at Cricket.Main.GameInstance.Loop() in c:\Users\touchlab\work\Personal\Cricket Heroesv3D\Cricket Heroesv3\Cricket Heroes\Main\GameInstance.cs:line 17573
at Cricket.Main.Game.Main(String[] args) in c:\Users\touchlab\work\Personal\Cricket Heroesv3D\Cricket Heroesv3\Cricket Heroes\Main\Game.cs:line 4747

Also, controller *works* but in normal mode only. Can't get the controller to control the cone in cone batting method.

----------

Dab shots not working. All dab shots result in batsman playing the forward defensive animation.

@Pat: Thanks for the headsup, I'll fix up those issues quickly. Yeah, the dab shots all play the defensive animation. I can't afford to have dab animations created :facepalm

No I mean that they actually play defensive shot when dab option is selected, not just the animation. It was working fine in the last update IIRC.

I think you had set different animation for dab shots like for e.g. a dab in the cover region triggered cover-drive animation. I think it was like that until the last update.

Also, I don't know if it's just me but my controller automatically moves towards left when playing i.e. if I press left direction on my stick it starts moving towards left and continues even after I leave the button. Also sometimes when bowler runs-in, batsman automatically moves towards left and I can't select any shot. I thought my controller might have gone bad but I connected it to my XBOX and also tested on PC and it seems to be fine, so not really sure.

@Pat: I think I've fixed the cone mode with the controller now (and hopefully the net practice issue too). I'm not sure why your controller keeps moving left, but it might be that the dead zone is off-center. I'll have to add gamepad calibration. I should get around to it tomorrow sometime. I'll also take a look at the dab shots then. I think I changed it to always play defensive animations except for leg glance and late cuts.

Attachments

• CricketPatch2.zip
    2 MB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread