Cricket Reads!

JamesyJames3

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Anyone read any good cricket books or autobiographies recently? :)

Currently reading Shane Warne's autobiography and its great, despite the fact I think he published it too early, he should of waited till the end of his career. However, no doubt he will do another one.

So any reccomendations? or reviews? :D Would love to hear sum opinions!

Cheers

Jamesy!

Nice post/ thread James. Have not read a cricket biography as yet, but will get the Shane Warne one now it's been recommended. I agree with you that it was released to early and that there will be another one. Dad's got quite a few cricketers biographies so I will read them and report back.

The most recent cricket books I have read are (in no particular order)

Nasser Hussain, Playing with Fire
Alec Stewart, Playing For Keeps
and On and Off the field by Ed Smith

I would recommend On and Off the field, especially to fans of county cricket.

Great reccomendations Kev, Ive heard a lot about Ed Smith as an author. I may take a look at that one you mentioned, sound interesting and different.

Another good book by Ed Smith is "Playing Hard Ball", a comparison of cricket and baseball.

A good read is Phil Tufnell's autobiography.

Thankyou Andrew, Kev was telling me about that Ed Smith book in chat before. He said its some cross over between cricket/baseball of something. Could you ellaborate a bit more...or give me an idea of what the book is about?

Many thanks

Jamesy

the best cricket book i have ever read is Boof Lehmann's Auto boigraphy, worth the wait. i read it in a day, it was awesome

I've read Mike Atherton and Shane Warne's autobiographies and I thought they were both a great read.

I'm currently reading Nasser Hussain's and it's probably the best of the three.

I've reda Atherton's, which is excellent, Stewart's, which is pretty good, and Ed Smith, which is fantastic. Gonna have to give that 5 out of 5 on my new site!

Also read game for Anything, by Gideon Haigh, which is a collection of terrific articles, from match-fixing to Bradman. Even if you haven't previously heard of the players he writes about, it's still very readable!

I have just finished reading Bodyline Autopsy and loved it. It's probably the most indepth account of the 1932/33 ashes series i have read. am looking forward to Richie Benaud's new book My spin on cricket coming out, i just love his observations on the sport.

Anyone read a book on World Cup 1983?
I have one, it's awesome. It has great amounts of facts and a match by match details.
It contains some beauuuuuutiful pics too. it's amazing.
A must have for all world cup fans.

These are some great ideas, keep the posts coming and we can get a Cricket Books Forum :p

Also heard Michael Slater has released a book, "slats". Im looking forward to this after recent speculation and controversy.

I'v read the 1992 world cup book, and the 1983 book as well, both are simeler, but the 1992 one as all the ground detials, player detials, stats about the world cup, and how well teams have done, match to match detials and pics.

Ian Bothams book is really good, theres this one story about when he was playing for England and they had a great chance of winning this match, they had Boycott at the crease and as usual he was thinking about his own figures and was leaving almost everything so they sent in Botham to run him out!!!

i would give that 4 out of 5

Agree with the guys who've read Gough's, Athers' and Tufnell's, although I reckon Nasser's is the best.
Also read Dickie Bird's and one of Brian Johnston's (or 'Johnners', the late BBC radio and tv commentator well known for his "Botham's got his leg over" quote followed by fits of giggles with Agnew on TMS once). A lovely man whose commentary on the radio is still missed 11 years after his death.

Oh, just remembered, 'A Lot of Hard Yakka: Cricketing Life on the County Circuit' by Simon Hughes (C4's 'the analyst') is another good read, about the treadmill of the county circuit back in the 80's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread