Cricket Reads!

Yeah, Steve's written his autobiography which is a very good read, and there is a decent biography of Mark Waugh by James Knight out there as well.

Yeah, Steve's written his autobiography which is a very good read, and there is a decent biography of Mark Waugh by James Knight out there as well.
That Mark Waugh one is awesome - I have read it about 3 times over.

I'm currently reading The biography of Victor Trumper by Ashley Mallet. it has some superb pictures of him and other players. It even has some of him practicing shots and one showing how far the ball went when he hit a six into the window of the building behind the ground! Great read that I recommend you read if you love cricket history and cricket books such as I do.

I have just finished Mr Cricket Drvien to Succeed by Mike Hussey with David Sygal. It talks about his cricketing life as a junior all the way to present time. It is incredibly interesting to read about all the things that went through Mike's life. There where many ups and downs for him, including a purple patch playing county cricket for Northamptonshire during the early 2000's where he scored 3 triple first class centuries. It also talks about his other interests as a kid and the hard effort he put in to make his way to get the baggy green and play test cricket for Australia. Overall it is a very good book and a interesting read, i highly recommend the book for cricket fans and other people who are striving for inspiration. I give it a 8.5 out of 10. :D:D

Im half way through Ricky Pontings 2005 ashes tour diary,I must admit it is a pretty good read.

Good captaincy books?

All,
I want to get a book or two on cricket captaincy. There are not too many on Amazon so I thought I'd ask around for any recomendations
Also a good sledging book could come in handy?
Cheers
Ob

The 2007 Ricky Ponting diary is okay. he's certainly not a great writer but you wouldn't expect him to be. The insights into team motivation, dramas and his thoughts on captainsy are worthwhile.

The 2007 Ricky Ponting diary is okay. he's certainly not a great writer but you wouldn't expect him to be. The insights into team motivation, dramas and his thoughts on captainsy are worthwhile.

Thanks, I must say I'm looking forward to getting into it. I've got all of the Steve Waugh books though. This is my first Ponting diary. Been lazy over the last few years. I'm going to try and get all of them after I'm done with this one.

I was given Ashes Summer for Christmas, which is a diary of the 1997 Ashes tour written by Nasser Hussain and Steve Waugh. It's very insightful, I like reading a player's perspective. Waugh seems like a great bloke and Hussain has very strict morals. So far I've read up to the first Test match. Hussain has written about how he got to where he was, Waugh has written about the day-to-day activities of the Australian squad, their warm-up matches and the One-day internationals, and Hussain has written about England's build-up to the first match.

Before I read it, I didn't realise that players took warm-up matches so seriously. Waugh wrote about how Mark Taylor the captain was in awful form before the tour and was being hounded by the press, and how delighted everyone in the squad was when he made a half century against Derbyshire.

I have also noticed that even just 12 years ago there were more warm-up matches, fewer One-day internationals (three before the Test matches) and more Test matches (six). This year there will be five Test matches, with seven One-day internationals played afterwards.

I highly recommend this book if you are interested in what goes through the minds of the players and what happens on a cricket tour. Also if you just want to be nostalgic. I'll be very interested if there is a similar book made after this summer.

I'm currently reading The biography of Victor Trumper by Ashley Mallet. it has some superb pictures of him and other players. It even has some of him practicing shots and one showing how far the ball went when he hit a six into the window of the building behind the ground! Great read that I recommend you read if you love cricket history and cricket books such as I do.

Is it mainly pictures?

I'm still trawling through Out of My Comfort Zone, wow this is one epic book and not especially in a good way. It's pretty well written for a sports autobiography but jeez, get an editor! I keep putting the book down for long periods then going back to it, there is a will to finish it that has to be as great as Steve Waugh's will to score hundreds! Must say, he doesn't come across as a stereotypical Aussie though, a lot of talk about Self Help books and similar mumbo-jumbo, didn't associate him with things like that. I will finish this one day, if only because I have a growing pile of books to read afterwards!

Users who are viewing this thread