Current Sub Continent XI

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Manee if sorry but I did'nt know that you'de say that

word "terrible" to discribe Yousis Khan is wrong, I know he has not made very much of 100s, however he is a great player. Ofending a younis khan fan. Average of 32 and S/R of 74 is really good, and decent.

He is neither terrible nor great. I think terrible may be the apt word for him if you take away his performances Vs Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. His average then drops to an even 30.00 which we can both agree is poor for a middle order batsman. Some may also argue that the affect is exentuated when a batsman has played so many matches.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
fair enough, however his 3 hundreds come against very good ODI sides, if you want to count India as one ;)?

manee

Chairman of Selectors
From those who are currently first choice for their country...on the basis that the 'match' is going to be played asap when all are fit.

Tests

Dinesh Karthik
Wasim Jaffer
Younis Khan
Rahul Dravid
Mohammad Yousuf
Mahela Jayawardene
Kumar Sangakkara(wk.)
Anil Kumble
Zaheer Khan
Mohammad Asif
Muttiah Muralitharan

ODIs

Will be done later...

The time has come for the ODI XI

ODIs

Sachin Tendulkar
Sanath Jayasuriya
Kumar Sangakkara
Mohammad Yousuf
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni (wk)
Robin Uthappa
Irfan Pathan
Shoaib Akhtar
Lasith Malinga
Muttiah Muralitharan

Hmm...not happy with that

fair enough, however his 3 hundreds come against very good ODI sides, if you want to count India as one ;)?

Three hundreds in 155 innings is just poor for a middle order batsman.

Last edited:

Karachi Xpress

Chairman of Selectors
That is a lot more than 3 more in 153 more innings + Dravid has a fine average to back him up statistically.
Come on. You are comparing the average of an Indian batsman to that of a Pakistani batsman. Pakistani batsman have never learnt to keep their wickets and will never learn to. So just compare the 100s.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Come on. You are comparing the average of an Indian batsman to that of a Pakistani batsman. Pakistani batsman have never learnt to keep their wickets and will never learn to. So just compare the 100s.

Ok. Younis Khan has had 3 hundreds from 153 innings which is 1 per 51 innings.

Dravid has had 12 hundreds from 308 innings which is 1 per 26 innings.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Dravid > Younus

But Younus is good at both forms of the game, and anyone who calls him "terrible" in my eyes does not know much of cricket.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Dravid > Younus

But Younus is good at both forms of the game, and anyone who calls him "terrible" in my eyes does not know much of cricket.

I agree, this is how it works fo me.....(note I'm only listing a few players)

Brian Lara = Sachin Tendulkar = Don Bradman = Ricky Ponting

>>>>>>>>>>

Younus Khan = Rahul Dravid = Mohammed Yousuf = Sourav Ganguly = Misbah-Ul-Haq = VVS Laxman = Shivnarine Chanderpaul = Kevin Pietersen

>>>>>>>>>>

ETC

prarara

International Cricketer
Hahaha Good point. NO one can and should forget Inzi's contribution. Would you rank Sanath there too?

My Test XI on current form.

1. Jaffer
He's a consistent opener. He has a habit of either making big scores or getting out cheaply. Obviously his recent double made him my first choice. I rate him higher than the Pakistani or Sri Lankan counterparts of Hameed, or Vandort.
2. Salman Butt
This was a tough choice for me. Most of the Subcontinental openers haven't been in that good form save Jaffer. I was originally going to go with Karthik, but he's had a bad run of form lately, and the Sri Lankan counterpart for the second opening position, Jayasuriya, has retired. Though Karthik made some good scores in SA and England, on current form I've to go with Butt and his few fighting innings I've seen of late. He usually tends to make these fighting half centuries.
3. Sangakkara.
NO. 1 batsmen in the world. I think his average is something in the 200s. ON CURRENT FORM, I definitely think he may be the best batsmen in the subcontinent and he deserves the three spot more than Rahul Dravid, or Younis Khan. (on current form.)
4. Tendulkar
He's got world class ability, experience, and he's in good nick. A solid No. 4 batsmen.
5. Ganguly/Laxman/Yuvi/Moyo/Jayawardene
All have been in top nick so far. Ganguly and Laxman play the fighting innings with determination, but Ganguly has a little more flair. Yuvi's just played one test match in the last few months, but it was a class act and I feel it deserves a mention. Mo Yo is a class act as well. He went through a Bradmanesque run of form, and if I'm not mistaken averages in the 60s careerwise. Jayawardene is also a fighter, but he's got plenty of class and flair. He's got a good brain too, so he wont unfurl those shots till he's in good position. So Take your pick. I definitely couldn't; the subcontinent has a wealth in middle-order batsmen.
wk6. Dhoni
The choice was between Akmal, Silva, and Dhoni. Out of the three, I feel Dhoni has better keeping skills, and is way better of a finisher. He averages in the 70s this year, and has been known to carry and innings till the end. Plus keeping to Kumble and Bhajji is not the easiest task.
7. Pathan
He's regaining the swing, plus he has decent fighting ability to provide some batting support in case the innings collapses. I may switch him out based on whether or not his bowling remains consistently good, but he's got good pace and if he can maintain the swing, he's a definite spot here.
*8. Kumble
A world class bowler, fighter, and a handy bat. He's been an inspirational captain as well. 'Nuff said.
9. Slinga' Malinga/Fernando/Akhtar
All've got the pace, and I think could be very handy later in the innings. Maybe to reverse the ball. Akhtar would be a very good opening bowler, but I dunno if he can maintain his fitness.
10. Asif
He may be out injured, but there's absolutely no questioning his class and determination. Factor in that he's still relatively young, and you know he's going places.
11. Murli
Class act, world's leading wicket taker. He'll get you your wickets no matter what.

I may've been a little bit more biased towards Indian players. I accept that, but on current form, I definitely think more Indian players deserve a spot. We're a good test team.

I'd rank, test wise, India > Sri Lanka > Pakistan

Last edited:

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Yes India has become a better team then what Pakistan were at 2005/06. Welldone India. So has Sri Lanka, thank God we dont have a series against Bangladesh orelse we'd loose that aswell. ANyways I like your team.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Yes India has become a better team then what Pakistan were at 2005/06. Welldone India. So has Sri Lanka, thank God we dont have a series against Bangladesh orelse we'd loose that aswell. ANyways I like your team.

I don't see you losing to Bangladesh.

Users who are viewing this thread