Darrell Hair reinstated as Test Match Umpire

I don't agree with his reinstatement at all.

Whatever his merits as an umpire (and that is hugely debatable) there's no doubt that his history with the subcontinent teams will always remain in the minds of all the teams involved and none of the subcontinent teams will feel comfortable with him officiating in their matches.

And there's no doubt that he's got a high-and-mighty attitude on the field which doesn't promote goodwill between the teams.

To him, the marks on the ball were proof. I'm not saying Pakistan did tamper but you can't always catch someone in the act so. You can't go tip-toeing around everyone because you think it might cause a backlash. Hair had the balls to do what he did.
Balls don't make smart decisions. If you're going to level an allegation of ball tampering against any team, let alone Pakistan given their controversial history with the same, you sure as hell have to have the goods to back up your theory. You would notice that most cases of ball tampering are pulled up by TV cameras and that's when the charges are made.

I don't agree with his reinstatement at all.

Whatever his merits as an umpire (and that is hugely debatable) there's no doubt that his history with the subcontinent teams will always remain in the minds of all the teams involved and none of the subcontinent teams will feel comfortable with him officiating in their matches.

And there's no doubt that he's got a high-and-mighty attitude on the field which doesn't promote goodwill between the teams.

true it ll be difficult for him,but he is a good umpire and he was wrongly punished for calling a spade a spade,good to see him reinstated.

To him, the marks on the ball were proof. I'm not saying Pakistan did tamper but you can't always catch someone in the act so. You can't go tip-toeing around everyone because you think it might cause a backlash. Hair had the balls to do what he did.

I'd love the see the prosecution in a court case use an assumption as the basis of their prosecution. See how far you get.

"Well, sir. It looked like they tampered with it."

I'd love the see the prosecution in a court case use an assumption as the basis of their prosecution. See how far you get.

"Well, sir. It looked like they tampered with it."

I fail to see anything wrong with that. If you see alien markings i.e. scratch marks, you'll think 'Someone's done something to it'.

If you see what you think is evidence, of course you'll assume.

The ball was scratched, he believed it looked like it was intentional scuffing not just the wear and tear of a cricket ball, so he asked Doctrove for his opinion. Doctrove agreed, as did the match referee at the end of game report.

I fail to see why people are singularly on Hair's back. Looking for a way to get rid of him. If you're using that yardstick then Doctrove, the match referee should also be sacked.

the main problem i now have with him being reinstated is a good umpire is one who you dont even notice, that means he is getting the decisions correct, but hair will now be the centre of attension and it will detract from the game somewhat

The ball was scratched, he believed it looked like it was intentional scuffing not just the wear and tear of a cricket ball, so he asked Doctrove for his opinion. Doctrove agreed, as did the match referee at the end of game report.

I fail to see why people are singularly on Hair's back. Looking for a way to get rid of him. If you're using that yardstick then Doctrove, the match referee should also be sacked.

Did I say they should be allowed to referee?

You can't make assumptions.

the main problem i now have with him being reinstated is a good umpire is one who you dont even notice, that means he is getting the decisions correct, but hair will now be the centre of attension and it will detract from the game somewhat.
Spot on fella! there are lots of good umpires in the domestic game who deserve a chance with International cricket, but instead the ICC reappoint Hair who seems to cause controversy in nearly every test series he does.

There seems to be a click with the elite umpires and until that is broken, good domestic umpires won't get a chance to umpire in international which is bad for the game. :(

Last edited:
Nah I don't want Hair anywhere near our Cricket team,

the main problem i now have with him being reinstated is a good umpire is one who you dont even notice, that means he is getting the decisions correct, but hair will now be the centre of attension and it will detract from the game somewhat

Very well said bro..If Umpire makes mistake,Its already a big issue in all Sports media..But now Every time Hair go for a decision,he'll definitely thinks more than He used to in past..because One mistake from him(which can be done by Every Umpire on any day) give him more publicity..
In short Hair will be always in news..:p

I will say Bring back Dickie Bird.

Users who are viewing this thread